IGNORED

Season 9 - Round 3 - Tapper

250px-COLECO_VISION_LOGO.svg.png

ROUND 3 - SEASON 9

28146-1.jpg

Step right up pardner, and place your order!.
What'll be ? Some Rootin' tootin' root beer at Sam's Western Soda Fountain.
Folks 'round these work up a powerful thirst!
They keep pushin' through them swingin' doors, and keep ol' Sam busy as a june bug tryin' to serve 'em all!. He aims to please!
Those wranglers and ranchers reward good service with a tip,
and Sam returns the favor by presentin' a little entertainment to accompany the quality represhment !.

Rah! Rah! Give me an R, give me an O...!
Root and cherr for cold root beer, at Sam's Stadium Soda Fountain !.
It's time out for those parched sports fans, and they're ready to go for it !.
There's plenty of action for Sam, who has totry to keep up with all the orders.
Sometimes a satisfied costumer will leave Sam a tip, and he gets a breather when they turn to watch the half-time show.
Now's his chance to pick up some of those returning empties.

It's out of this world !.
The rocket root beer, that is, served at Sam's Space Soda Fountain.
One sip and it'll put you in orbit !.
There's nothing alien about it -Sam's Spacy customers love to fuel up on this delectable drink !.
The taste is no cosmic it inspires a galaxy of gratuities from contented consumers.
That inspires Sam to present his famous, far-out floor show !.
For astronomical and gastronomical delights, there's no place like it in the whole solar system !.

Game Information
Game Name: Tapper
Released by:Bally Midway
Settings: Game 1
ROM: Tapper (1984) (Midway).zip

Contest Ends
Sunday, October 18th 2015 at 11:00PM EST

Contest Rules
The HSC rules can be found here

Current High Scores

1. Northcoastgamer 852,875 [+100]
2. sega_SHARK 750,825 [+88]
3. coleco1981 455,925 [+53]
4. TPR 356,450 [+42]
5. jblenkle 349,150 [+41]
6. Mangia-Boy 284,600 [+33]
7. darthkur 273,650 [+32]
8. SiLic0ne t0aD85 233,550 [+27]
9. S.BAZ 176,575 [+21]
10. ed1475 133,600 [+16]
11. roadrunner 70,100 [+8]
12. atariron82 64,725 [+8]

Leaderboard(up to end of prior round)
1. Northcoastgamer [200] (2) 2
2. darthkur [104] (2)
3. coleco1981 [103] (2)
4. ed1475 [98] (2)
5. sega_SHARK [76] (2)
6. TPR [66] (2)
7. jblenkle [54] (2)
8. klasko54 [54] (1)
9. atariron82 [40] (2)
10. Mangia-Boy [38] (1)
11. S.BAZ [33] (2)
12. SiLic0ne t0aD85 [20] (1)
13. roadrunner [10] (1)

[ ] = Points
( ) = Rounds Played
BLUE = Rounds Won Edited by coleco1981

284,600. (Playing in the normal way, as the programmer intended to play)

By the way, the CV version of Tapper is inappropriate for a High Score Contest. Because you can stay on the very easy Level 1 without ending this one and you can count points endlessly.

This is the same problem like with the versions of Up 'N Down and Tarzan.

I can remember, I broke the record of Up'N Down and rolled the score, but Ikrananka didn't accept my score. I know it was easy as pie, but that was Alexander's solution with the riddle of the Gordian knot, too.

I can remember, I broke the record of Up'N Down and rolled the score, but Ikrananka didn't accept my score.

It wasn't that I didn't accept your score - the entire round was cancelled after it became apparent that the game could be played indefinitely while pushing points.

By the way, the CV version of Tapper is inappropriate for a High Score Contest. Because you can stay on the very easy Level 1 without ending this one and you can count points endlessly.

I can remember, I broke the record of Up'N Down and rolled the score, but Ikrananka didn't accept my score. I know it was easy as pie, but that was Alexander's solution with the riddle of the Gordian knot, too.

So it's kinda like the Asteroids trick of leaving one rock on the screen and trolling UFOs.

Burned through the levels pretty fast.

IMG_1302_zps5sqrp3mf.jpg

Yeah I understand Tapper can be exploited but in my book that would be against the rules. Since we are all on the honor system here and we are not requiring video recording - I think playing fair is something that we can all agree on. I would say it would be acceptable to maximize points in the later levels if you choose but the risk has to be there. If you progress though the levels like your supposed to it does ramp up - at least the last time I played it - I felt like it did - here is a recording I did of a 300,000 score and I think my pace is acceptable.

I did think about excluding this one or starting at a higher skill level but in my opinion its too good of a game to exclude! I think it was on my top list and also someone elses.

If you think your score may be in question, it might be helpful to let us know how many screens you got to or take a snapshot of it (all optional of course).

The only games I'd really like to stay away from is those that can be played straight up and marathoned. Tapper does ramp up eventually - so if you can marathon it without cheating, you deserve the 100 points!

I have no idea if I'm doing this right. : (

This is literally the second time I have fired up this game. The first game I played, I had no idea you could run down the tables. I waited at the end of the tables for empty glasses. I'm trying to clear the levels fast, but if I see cash on the table; I'm going for it. I got to screen 44 and scored 3000 on all bonus rounds. Am I milking the game too much? Slightly confused. : /

IMG_1307_zps4vubsyg4.jpg

So this time around I collected all the money and all the glasses. I didn't get as far, only 26 levels in, but I got way more points. I felt like I was making dumb mistakes which is why I feel I didn't make it as far. It's like the game is easier to play when you're going fast to blow through levels, but you don't get as many points. I've played this game a lot, but really this is the first time I've ever paid attention to points. Usually I just try to get through as many levels as possible.

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 00.00.00.png