On 6/25/2021 at 2:09 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That was me. :) Others were also done by Omegamatrix.

Thanks, yeah, I did see that after I read the initial post - silly me for not fully reading it earlier. :)

Seriously, thank you for doing this -- as others have mentioned, your mods bring new life into these games.  Playing Missile Command, Centipede, and Millipede with a joystick ... just ... doesn't ... work -- but playing your versions with a CX80 is simply awesome.  In fact, this 2600 modded version of Millipede has much better gameplay than the 5200 version, in my opinion.

Edited by unixdude
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 11:51 PM, Swami said:

All he's saying is you can't use any Atari Trak-Ball in trackball mode with the original 7800 centipede -so, not sure what he is saying that is specific about V61 version. The V61 will work in trackball mode with the 7800 Centipede TB hack. The V61 CX-80s are just two separate buttons for Fire 1 and Fire 2; They still have joystick/trackball switch.

I think any CX-22 will work and any CX-80 that wasn't made into an Atari mouse, since the original Centipede 7800 game is joystick only. All CX-22s have joystick mode, the black and white ones have joystick and trackball mode that can be switched, and all non-moused CX-80s have the joystick/trackball switch as well. There is a Centipede trackball mode hack for the 7800 as well.

What I was inferring is that the V61 "7800 Trak-Ball" is bullsh*t. GCC designed an actual "7800 Trak-Ball" which was a hacked/modded CX22. Commercial 7800 Centipede is coded for native Trak-Ball support for that very unreleased Trak-Ball controller, and no other. You need 7800 Centipede-TB from AtariAge to be able to play in native Trak-Ball mode with a CX22 or CX80. Don't buy V61's bs.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, Swami said:

I really dont don’t get the part where it’s said they made the cx80 to look more like the XL line. The xl is black and cream. The cx22 switched is black and cream. The Atari 1010 and 1050 are black and cream. The Atari cx80 is all black. 

The CX80 matches the XL line better than either version of the CX22. The Home Computer Division wanted their own Trak-Ball controller that was distinct from what was being sold for the 2600. And thus they designed it. If you need proof, ask Dan Kramer. He'll tell you the same.

6 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

The CX80 matches the XL line better than either version of the CX22. The Home Computer Division wanted their own Trak-Ball controller that was distinct from what was being sold for the 2600. And thus they designed it. If you need proof, ask Dan Kramer. He'll tell you the same.

Then I guess recreational drugs really were a common part of work at Atari.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bomberman94 said:

If this one could be easily modified to work with an Atari 2600 ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133807715635

I wish I would have seen your post sooner. I would have bought that for now cool it looked alone. The price was 20 and 1/2 Euros right? A little over $24 as of this writing.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi im a newbie here....apologies in advance !! :0......i was directed here via an atari group on facebook.....as i asked this question......

Hi all, im after some advice/info please.....im on the lookout for a 2600 or a 7800....and really like the trackball for use on centipede and missile command etc....i recently purchase one of these wico command balls....only to discover it just emulates a joystick ...so movement not rapid enough ....what console would be recommended for these games, to use a properly functioning trackball with and which trackballs actually work with these systems/games?.......upon seeing this group tho...im totally lost....if i bought a 7800.....and a cx80 tb....do i simply copy said files onto an sd card and link it to the console somehow to load?.,.and how to go about getting my wico TB converted 4 use? Thanks in advance all 

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lynxpro said:

As much of a Trak-Ball fan that I am, I'd say Paddle support would be better for games like Space Invaders.

I have a couple Paddle controllers so I can attest to their greatness, but having the side-to-side speed vary with a paddle would change the feel of the game, it shouldn't work like Breakout.  If you're saying the paddle would only output direction (left/right) then that would be sort of like the arcade version.