IGNORED

OT: Texas Instruments calcs and why still quite expensive

palmheads

Now let's not get militant here :) HP makes really fine calculators as well. I did not use to think that way until I bought an HP 48G, a beautiful classic programmable graphing calculator that was very intuitive to use and felt less clunky than my TI 83.

But to come back to the original question in this post, the attached article really says it all, particularly the part where it states that students love the tactile feel of these machines. That is absolutely correct in my view. I have several advanced calculators on my phone, as well as a superb emulation of the TI 59, but to be frank I hate using them because they feel ethereal. Maybe it's just me, but I love the feel of my calculators, to the point that I always bring one with me on long flights to play with even when I have my phone and laptop as well. Go figure...

That said, price gouging on the part of TI will not do for the long term, so I hope they wizen up and curtail their greed before they lose the market.

Logarithms or Log Tables were the favourite method to calculate complex mathematics in the UK, right up to the late 1970s. I remember being taught how to use them in class in '78. Calculators made them obsolete and I never used them once I left school.