IGNORED

Disgaea 5

cybercylon

Any word on how good this is? I never bothered ordering the limited edition, but I guess there is a limited opportunity to pick up a launch day edition with the art book and sound track. Sound tracks are always a big plus.

Thing is, I won't get to it any time soon, so maybe it is best to get the normal edition on sale.

I would definitely wait for it....I don't think the special editions go for that much money later.

I never in my life finished a Disgaea game. They are very good strategy RPG's but also extremely long (easily between 50-100 hours and even longer).

I played the first game on PS2 and I think the third on PS3.

It got good reviews, here's one I trust:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance-309993.phtml

I would not buy it for it's value.... sound tracks sucker me in. When I get these,I generally have no intention of selling them... unless it is a POS, but I would not expect that out of a Disgaea game. Some of them have been better than others, and that's about how much time I have out into one only to never finish...

If I get this though... no special edition of Xenoblade Chronicles X.....

Edit... okay, just read that review. Looks good, but not a WOW great to rush out and get it.

Edited by cybercylon

Any word on how good this is? I never bothered ordering the limited edition, but I guess there is a limited opportunity to pick up a launch day edition with the art book and sound track. Sound tracks are always a big plus.

Thing is, I won't get to it any time soon, so maybe it is best to get the normal edition on sale.

I always get the LEs of these when I can. Crap thing here is they sold out quick and made a load more, so hardly all that "limited". They don't usually go on sale too quick and there's n Vita version later on so maybe this one holds its price a little better.

I'm stuck with the demo, the game got delayed over here.

I never in my life finished a Disgaea game. They are very good strategy RPG's but also extremely long (easily between 50-100 hours and even longer).

The first one was brilliant, really daft humour but also well judged and expertly acted. Nothing has really lived up to that story-wise for me since, but the story is such a tiny fraction of the whole package that really doesn't matter too much. And do you ever really finish them? :0) I got a platinum or maybe two, spent over 300 hours on one of them, but there's always too much to do. Last one I think it got shelved after a couple of hundred hours and didn't come back out, but then one thing I do not do is play them at all hyper efficiently. Following those guides to the letter might be fun for some, some people play these games in such an anal, strict way, but that's just not my idea of fun. What I like about them is you can switch up what you're doing at any one time and it never gets boring plus some of the real hard grind in the earlier games has been whittled away in favour of newer more fruity grinding that's not so monotonous and a bit more appealing to a wider audience.

I haven't been able to get excited about a Disgaea game since they started piling on the DLC with the third game. I wouldn't have bought it for 2-3 months after launch anyway to see how DLC stacked up - seems publishers do a slow-drip approach on DLC these days to hide how much they're going to have at launch, regardless of if the DLC is on the disc or not. (They seemed to figure out that having pages of DLC at launch lowers initial sales. :P)

I use to be a sucker for soundtracks and other physical bonuses for a long time. DLC seems to have been the thing that cured me of that, leaving a lot more money in my wallet for other things.

Regarding the first one, I'd have to agree it was awesome. I played it primarily on the PSP which had a couple of bugged up items but otherwise were quite useful. I played it for most of a year or more and I think my levels on the main characters were reaching the 5000-6000 range or something. Whatever it was, it was some insane high number. And even with all that, there were still random item dungeons, etc that could give me a run for my money. Although this game is pretty much the thing that showed me how all the DLC in the later games were nothing more than ripped out aspects of the game - as all the DLC tended to be stuff you'd normally just unlock in the earlier pre-DLC days of the franchise. All 70-100 dollars worth of it.

I know you have a fairly harsh stance on DLC, Mord :0) But I dunno about the DLC being stripped-down content that should have been in game to begin with. The games seem to get bigger and more involved each time with a few nice little measures to lessen the pain of the grins, mostly adding a few things and changing up a few others. I think I only ever bought in to the Disgaea 3 DLC, and it mostly seemed to be fairly trivial fan service stuff and from what I remember, nothing substantial. And wasn't it all included with the handheld version later? Thinking about it, that could have been a game where the EU didn't get all DLC, but I'd imported the US game and could use my US account to buy the lot in a bundle.

Games are expected to evolve with each new release in a series regardless - otherwise they quickly become stale and has-beens that get trampled in the reviews. Almost all of the DLC for Disgaea 3 looks to be characters - the kinds of things you use to unlock as perks to keep interest in the game. In addition to that they have a couple of bonus modes. Adding all that up it would come up to over 70 dollars I believe. There's a "Buy it all" option that was added months after release, and only because there was enough complaining going on about the excessive DLC. This of course screwed over those that had already purchased a good deal of it beforehand. There's also a bonus storymode included in there, which is similar to something you could run through in Disgaea 1. (In fact Disgaea 1 had several bonus storylines all included)

And just as with the Neptunia remakes, including the DLC or rebuilding the game to be more entertaining doesn't impress me when I've already bought the game once at full price and been disappointed. So them re-releasing it on the handheld didn't mean a thing to me. (Whereas by contrast I have Disgaea 1 on 3 systems.)

I'm glancing at Disgaea 4 and despite NIS apologizing to the fans for the excessive DLC in #3 - and added that buy-it-all option to the list as an apology, they did the -exact- same thing for the next game in the series. The DLC is crawling with unlockable characters, maps, and vehicles. The total cost for the DLC just tops 100 dollars. They didn't learn a thing. Glad my personal boycott on NIS was already firmly in place by then.

I fully expect Disgaea 5 to be similar with it's DLC. Or rather, I expect it to take it a step worse. (It's a trend with them.)

I know not everyone gets as ticked off at this stuff as I do. And I understand. But the problem with DLC isn't entirely what they're doing -now-. This is a slope we're on and we've been rolling down it fairly quickly for the last 6-8 years and people always seem to think with each new tactic applied that "we're definitely at the bottom now. It can't get much worse!" until the next thing happens that takes it another step. And this is pretty much where my harsh stance stems from. You can't even reward a developer for making a game you actually enjoy by buying some DLC without encouraging them to take that as a signal to go balls deep in the DLC with their next game. (See Project Diva F 2nd - where they include all the items/modules from the first game simply so you don't realize how bare the new content really is.) A couple years ago a company wouldn't be trying to sell in-game insurance to keep people from losing their stuff to a player raid that the company made possible in the first place (Like in the latest Metal Gear Solid V) or would they have included over 300 stat-changing/cosmetic changing cards to be bought like the next Tomb Raider will have on the Xbox. Sure you don't -have- to pay for it with real money, sure you can earn it with in-game currency - but the games are designed to make that impractical. Either open your wallet or forfeit a healthy lifestyle. These are things that are just further down the slope from where we were a couple years ago with the innocent stat and gold purchasing DLC options.

And now I'm ranting. ;)

There's only been a couple of games I've bought from NIS since the boycott went up. They've lost a lot of money from me over the years given I use to buy just about everything they released for a good while. Not that they'll notice, I know. But I've noticed it and I've noticed the extra cash saved for buying other things. And ultimately if that's all my little boycotts ever accomplish it'll be more than enough for me.