IGNORED

Replacement Controller Membranes

RWAP

At least 3 different circuit matrix parts were used ( not counting the flashback )

The intellivision 1 was a pressure connector 5x4 intermingled , The intellivision 2 I believe was a slide on connector 9 fingers wide.

The intellivision 3 was a different but similar layout to the intellivision I.

I found the box with the new circuit matrix packs!!!!

I was wrong about the Intellivision 3 it is 9 wide slide in connector. More like the Intellivision 2 or even the flashback?

It may be identical to the flashback? I haven't opened a flashback controller to compare them. But I think I saw images on here. I'll check them out.

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying seeing some of the hardware mods for controllers for Intellivision. Why don't we just build a new system based on Retro-Pi. Plays all the classics but adds everything else. Do a plastic case call it I-Vision 4. Make it look like the Intellivision 4 would have looked liked, drop in a Blu-Ray player and a Media player as well.

OK that's over the top.

• Like 1

It would be great if a "Universal" Bubble Membrane could be developed, something that could be used in all systems except the Flashback.

I expect flashback to drop in price for a brief moment after Christmas. I will buy all I can just for parts and Ultimate Flashbacks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have now received a quote for the Intellivision 1 controller parts (I still need an Intellivision III controller to get a price).

The membrane consists of 3 layers - the bubble layer, a thin plastic spacer and the membrane (circuit) layer.

Dependent on quantites:
If I order 250 off:
I could supply the membrane layer for £5 each
The bubble layer would be and extra £5 each
The spacer layer is an extra £1

If I order 100 off:
The membrane layer would be £6 each
The bubble layer would be £10 each
The spacer layer is an extra £1.50

So, we need to start seeing how much interest there is in this - as obviously it would be better all round to get 250 made if there is enough demand!

Edited by RWAP

At 17 Pounds a set, thats about $25 dollars. Might be cheaper to buy defective units and scrap for parts. At $50 a pair anyhow. Too bad, I don't know how many orders you might get.

I mentioned this a bit before, but a custom membrane that separated the keypad from the disc/action buttons and had connections for two cords would be welcome - should make the Dual Action controllers much simpler inside. That might be worth paying a little money for, and is something we can't create by harvesting old controller membranes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mentioned this a bit before, but a custom membrane that separated the keypad from the disc/action buttons and had connections for two cords would be welcome - should make the Dual Action controllers much simpler inside. That might be worth paying a little money for, and is something we can't create by harvesting old controller membranes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Point!

At 17 Pounds a set, thats about $25 dollars. Might be cheaper to buy defective units and scrap for parts. At $50 a pair anyhow. Too bad, I don't know how many orders you might get.

Unless there are enough people to warrant getting 250 made - which is then £11 a set. Of course, the issue with buying defective units is that you take a chance as to whether the controllers work or will last.

I have had the same problem when making membranes for the Amiga community - a lot of people seem to think it is better to buy an untested keyboard for £10 and cross their fingers that the membrane will work than buy a brand new membrane for £20 - quite a few have now realised that this is only a very short term solution even if the keyboard does appear to work !

Unless there are enough people to warrant getting 250 made - which is then £11 a set. Of course, the issue with buying defective units is that you take a chance as to whether the controllers work or will last.

I have had the same problem when making membranes for the Amiga community - a lot of people seem to think it is better to buy an untested keyboard for £10 and cross their fingers that the membrane will work than buy a brand new membrane for £20 - quite a few have now realised that this is only a very short term solution even if the keyboard does appear to work !

Understood. And put me down for 2 for sure. If we get the magic 250, I'll buy 4. It will be good to have them and might be fun to make a few "duel action" controllers as well.

Buying used for parts is always a crap shoot.

• 1 month later...

I have continued with the development of the replacement INTV I controller membranes. The factory looked at the possibility of splitting the signals, so that the controllers could be converted to dual action controllers - however, there is just not enough room inside the INTV I controller casing for this.

I am still after an INTV III controller to look at as these have been adapted in the past.

There is a query over the side buttons on the INTV I controller as the embossed layer is a little odd around this. Each button has a small embossed point (which presses down when you press the button) and a tiny reverse bossed point each side of the embossed point. These reverse bossed points do not make any contact or line up with anything on the sample controllers I have here - I wonder if they might be needed for some versions of the INTV I controller?

Also, the cost of tooling the 4 main embossed point for the 4 side buttons is problematic as a special tool would be required from the USA (!). The controller I have here has one (presumably worn) side button which hardly depresses at all (presumably pressed too many times). I was therefore wondering if the solution could be to introduce a new small spring which would affix to the back of each of the side buttons and push them back when released

What do people think - would that be an acceptable (and possibly welcome) change?

I have continued with the development of the replacement INTV I controller membranes. The factory looked at the possibility of splitting the signals, so that the controllers could be converted to dual action controllers - however, there is just not enough room inside the INTV I controller casing for this.

I am still after an INTV III controller to look at as these have been adapted in the past.

There is a query over the side buttons on the INTV I controller as the embossed layer is a little odd around this. Each button has a small embossed point (which presses down when you press the button) and a tiny reverse bossed point each side of the embossed point. These reverse bossed points do not make any contact or line up with anything on the sample controllers I have here - I wonder if they might be needed for some versions of the INTV I controller?

Also, the cost of tooling the 4 main embossed point for the 4 side buttons is problematic as a special tool would be required from the USA (!). The controller I have here has one (presumably worn) side button which hardly depresses at all (presumably pressed too many times). I was therefore wondering if the solution could be to introduce a new small spring which would affix to the back of each of the side buttons and push them back when released

What do people think - would that be an acceptable (and possibly welcome) change?

Not sure I understand what you are saying about the side buttons. The plastic circuits at the side buttons don't look much different than at the keypad buttons to me. Is it that its smaller than the keypad buttons. Each side button has to connect three wires/pins together to function.

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/Intellivision-III/intellivision-iii.htm

The INTV III controller in these pictures look like the original controllers (edit: other than the flat button membrane). That is a european model however. And I wouldn't be surprised if some had Intellivision II controller parts, or even a completely new design.

The side buttons are hard to press. And each side button has to connect three wires/pins and sometimes doesn't; resulting in erratic behaviour. Not sure how a spring helps but If you can improve these problems with the side buttons; it would be good.

Edited by mr_me

The side button issue is best shown on a diagram I guess - this is on the top embossed layer - the area in red shows the area underneath a side button. There is a larger embossed circle which presses down when the button is pressed (in turn pressing down on the related area on the circuit layer - joining the three wires).

post-30164-0-17459900-1460559278_thumb.jpg

Each side of that larger circle are two smaller reverse embossed circles which don't appear to match up with anything.

Hmm - maybe I was mistaken over the Intv III controllers - I thought the membranes on those connected via a small board - as shown in the thread about dual controllers (or is that a Flashback adaptor which has been modded?) - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241707-intellivision-dual-action-controller/page-3

That suggests my replacements will also fit the Intv III controllers which is good news (albeit they wlll then look and work as an Intv 1 with an embossed upper layer).

The idea of the spring is to force the side buttons back out when you release them (at the moment, the embossed top layer springs back into place, pushing the button back out) it is that we are having problems replicating!

If I understand this, you're talking about making two pieces: the plastic electric circuit part as well as the golden bubble membrane on top. I didn't think the golden button membrane was a priority and people would be mostly looking for the plastic electric circuit part. But I could be wrong

Yes - it made sense to have the new golden bubble membrane for the top made at the same time as other users had reported that these were worn out. Plus, assuming it does indeed fit the Intv III controller, it means people can switch from the flat membrane if they wish :)

I'm enjoying seeing some of the hardware mods for controllers for Intellivision. Why don't we just build a new system based on Retro-Pi. Plays all the classics but adds everything else. Do a plastic case call it I-Vision 4. Make it look like the Intellivision 4 would have looked liked, drop in a Blu-Ray player and a Media player as well.

OK that's over the top.

Or we can put it in a Jaguar shell!

What? Too soon?