IGNORED

What is Your Opinion of Superman III?

AtarinDave

Hello, Atarians! :waving:

Do you think Superman III should've been released, or do you think the game wasn't good enough and was rightfully held back? In my personal opinion, I think Superman III is awesome. It's basically a Missile Command on steroids(and I really enjoy Missile Command). But I want to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Superman3.gif

superman_2.png

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just made myself a Superman III repro and have been playing it on RealHardware™ for the first time ... and I really like it! The comparison to Missile Command is very apt: Superman III is essentially a 360-degree, inverse Missile Command, and I can't recall seeing another game quite like it. The controls take some getting used to, and there are certain other aspects that could have used some additional polishing, but it's a very promising game and it's a pity that it was never released. The biggest disappointment is that the game seems to stop at the ninth wave, which (at the default difficulty level) is just when it starts to get challenging.

I used a gray XE-style cartridge for my repro, and I wanted a nicer-looking label than the designs I've seen that are based on the artwork from the 2600 Superman game. I found some scans of Atari's prototype Superman III artwork, all of which are disappointingly low-res, but it doesn't look too bad when it's printed at 1.5" x 1.25", so this is the artwork that I used. I'd love to upgrade it if anyone knows of a higher-quality scan; in the meantime, I've attached my label design in case anyone else would like to use it.

superman3.jpeg

• Like 5