IGNORED

HDMI/RGB & HDTV Questions and help needed!

TPR

I just recently got a ColecoVision with an F18A RGB mod installed and I'm SUPER IMPRESSED with it! I posted about it in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237287-why-i-got-back-into-collecting-colecovision/?p=3335129

This is all new territory for me as up until now I have been playing my retro gaming consoles through AV modded systems. I have been doing a number of tests with this new system and how it displays on an HDTV. I've been hooking it up directly with a VGA cable and also going through a VGA>HDMI converter. The results of which I posted here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237287-why-i-got-back-into-collecting-colecovision/?p=3340365 and here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237287-why-i-got-back-into-collecting-colecovision/?p=3341000

I personally like the look of the 4:3 RGB aspect ratio as I feel that looks closer to how the system should look. It would seem though that VGA inputs are disappearing from most newer HDTV's and I'm in the market to buy a new one at the end of this year. Almost every "Smart TV" "4K TV" etc, I've looked at no longer has a VGA input.

If you notice on the link I posted above, the HDMI converter stretches the picture from 4:3 to 16:9 and even if I put my HDTV into "normal" mode, it's still stretched.

The help and questions I have are regarding this....

- Is it my HDTV that is stretching the aspect ratio or is it the HDMI converter?

- What HDMI converter/upscaler do you know if that would allow me to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio that the RGB mod outputs?

- Do newer TV's keep the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of automatically stretching to 16:9?

- Has anyone purchased a newer HDTV that includes a VGA input that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's simpler and cheaper to just purchase a professional broadcast monitor(old CRT) that has RGB inputs. Be sure to click the link to go to the main page for the other options.

Unfortunately, I need to have everything wrapped up all in one TV in my office due to lack of space. So just trying to find the best option. Obviously, if I can find a decent HDTV that fits my needs and has a VGA input, that's the best case scenario. But I'm also trying to find a back-up plan as that seems unlikely.