IGNORED

Convert HEX directly to DEC?

Larry

With the "second generation" BASICs (BXL, BXE, TBXL, Altirra Basic, etc.), is it possible to directly convert a HEX number into DEC? All of these BASICs have a HEX$ function, and I thought there was a way to use the VAL function to do the reverse conversion. But there doesn't seem to be. (I know there is a short routine that can be used, but as I said, is there a direct way?)

-Larry

?$ABCD maybe :)

EDIT:

and if you mean to convert a hex number to a value (not just to a dec string), in TBXL there is DEC(), for example A=DEC("ABCD"). In BXE the VAL function you mention should work similarly, it just requires "$" in front of the digits.

Edited by drac030

With the "second generation" BASICs (BXL, BXE, TBXL, Altirra Basic, etc.), is it possible to directly convert a HEX number into DEC? All of these BASICs have a HEX$ function, and I thought there was a way to use the VAL function to do the reverse conversion.

I use BASIC XL. Internally, every number is stored as a floating point decimal number, so there really is no "hexadecimal" number.

A=$FEDC

Ready
?A

Ready
?$BA98

Ready

So, there is no need to convert a hexadecimal numeric constant since it is automatically converted to decimal when it is used or assigned to a variable.

Turning a string representing a hex value into decimal works (in BASIC XL) with VAL(), but it requires a leading dollar sign.

?VAL("$01FF")

Ready

in TBXL there is DEC(), for example A=DEC("ABCD").

Be aware that this only functions correctly if your character string data is uppercase. I found this out when attempting to convert a lot of text files that were mostly hex data, where some of the files used all lower-case.

Thanks for the replies! This all started when I wanted a quick way to convert some hex numbers from a screen print. But as usual, I got the info I needed and learned more from our members as a bonus!

P.S. while looking for an quick solution, I found this little Atari BASIC program from Analog. This was the best one I found in my archives, but it doesn't include a decimal to hex routine. This was from Analog #17 from the BASIC Training column. It is set up to loop for repetitive conversion values.

-Larry

HexDec.atr