IGNORED

Atari 5200 MasterPlay Clone with Paddle Mode

atariguy1021

Earlier this year, I sold a number of MasterPlay Clones with a circuit that low_budget designed and that he was gracious enough to let me use. Unfortunately, the supplier that I obtained the cables for use with that design has no more remaining stock. Since I have yet to find a suitable replacement cable, I went back to the drawing board and created a new design.

The new design uses a circuit inspired by one that I originally saw on the 8-Bit Lab Rat website and uses a pair of CD4052's that are socketed for easy replacement. I decided to forego the wired cable in favor of a female DB15 jack so you will need an extension cable to connect the unit to the 5200. Also, I always wanted to add the option of paddle controllers for use with the original design and never got around to it... so I added a paddle mode with the new design that is selected via the switch on the front of the unit near the DB9 jack. The interface uses the first player paddle from a set of standard 2600 paddles. Unfortunately, due to the wiring of the potentiometer within the 2600 paddles the rotation is opposite to what one would expect during game-play (CCW registers Right and CW Left). This is easily remedied by moving one wire within the first player paddle controller. Alternatively, a switch can be added to switch the paddle controller from 2600 to 5200 mode. I have a a box full of paddle controllers and may offer some that are modded if anyone has the need.

I'm asking $70 shipped within the continental US... this does not include an extension cable. You will have to purchase one for yourself if you do not already have one. I recommend best electronics or ebay to purchase one. If you go with ebay these are reasonable quality and inexpensive: goo.gl/8u4RUk

post-26765-0-64633000-1445118761_thumb.jpgpost-26765-0-47744800-1445118769_thumb.jpgpost-26765-0-57105200-1445118775_thumb.jpgpost-26765-0-37560800-1445118785_thumb.jpgpost-26765-0-37295100-1445118794_thumb.jpgpost-26765-0-62581300-1445118802_thumb.jpg
Edited by atariguy1021
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

I received mine yesterday but I can't test yet because I waiting on a cable. I can say it looks and feels very professional and comes with a good thorough set of instructions.

edit: got my cable in and had a chance to try it out. I tested it using my 7800 painline and it worked great. Pac-man is very playable now. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently purchased a 5200 MasterPlay Clone and can't say enough good things about this product. It's built well, and works as advertised in both Joystick or Paddle mode.

Many thanks to atariguy1021! :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-23045400-1453574529_thumb.jpg

edit: Forgot to mention that I am using this with my Supreme 78: All-Play 4/8 controller by Edladdin Controllers and it works great.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Curious. How does it play with Tempest on the 5200 system? The game uses two buttons,one for firing, the other for the super zapper.

Does the paddle's one button limit you to only using the one type of fire button in the game? I'm guessing you can't use the super zapper in the game?

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Curious. How does it play with Tempest on the 5200 system? The game uses two buttons,one for firing, the other for the super zapper.

Does the paddle's one button limit you to only using the one type of fire button in the game? I'm guessing you can't use the super zapper in the game?

Thanks.

Interesting. I was recently informed about a second button option, so this message caught my interest. This purchase is still a number of months out for me, as I'm still waiting for my 5200 unit to arrive, and I'll need to get the AtariMax first, but a Master Play clone will be after that. Thing is, I've seen so many different versions that I don't know which one is the "THE ONE" to get.

Some have adjustments,, which look like a good thing, another does not. I've heard one works with analog and digital sticks, while I think one only takes digital? Then there is that extra button. Jeez -- too much homework!

Version ONE - Knobs on bottom side

post-26765-0-91870100-1417574568.jpg

Version TWO - Knobs on top.

post-26765-0-64633000-1445118761.jpg

Version THREE - Homebrew

post-7533-1222447183.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...