IGNORED

Best reason to own a Jaguar?

LianneJaguar64

For me a lot of my friends get interested in my Jaguar, it's not something they've heard of and some of them are actually interested in buying it, but I never know which games to show them... I have about 13, AVP and T2k of course, but other than that, what do people recommend? :) It's also so I can get the games myself 'D

Same old same old Lianne (Trust me, we've done this list many times before ;) )

'3D'

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

AvP

Iron Soldier

Iron Soldier 2

Missile Command 3D

Tempest 2K

Zero 5

Cybermorph (yes!)

I-War

Val D'Isere

'2D'

Super Burnout

Power Drive Rally

Rayman

Ultra Vortek

Protector SE

NBA Jam TE

Flashback

Another World

Worms

All imo, of course :)

No doubt there's bits not mentioned you'll like (i.e. Kasumi Ninja, which I like too, but wouldn't put on the list vs your criteria plus 16-bitters like Raiden, Cannon Fodder & Pinball Fantasies too) but thought I'd keep it reasonably concise vs overall quality

You might want to consult the Video Game Critic's Jaguar reviews (sort the reviews by grade so the good ones float to the top). I've said before that about 25% of the games in the Jaguar library are "great to good", 30% are "average", and 45% are "mediocre to awful". The VGC's reviews tend to be a good reflection of the general consensus about which games belong in which categories, and it can also serve as a guide for buying new games. If you're going to show off the Jaguar, why not show the best that it has to offer?

You might want to consult the Video Game Critic's Jaguar reviews (sort the reviews by grade so the good ones float to the top). I've said before that about 25% of the games in the Jaguar library are "great to good", 30% are "average", and 45% are "mediocre to awful". The VGS's reviews tend to be a good reflection of the general consensus about which games belong in which categories, and it can also serve as a guide for buying new games. If you're going to show off the Jaguar, why not show the best that it has to offer?

Oh absolutely, I intend to show the best! :) Hence why I asked you guys, I have a strange tendency to fail to see anything less than terrible in a game, so I don't see anything wrong with KN, and little bad in Checkered Flag :)

Oh absolutely, I intend to show the best! :) Hence why I asked you guys, I have a strange tendency to fail to see anything less than terrible in a game, so I don't see anything wrong with KN, and little bad in Checkered Flag :)

That tendency will serve you well when playing Jaguar games! Quite a few of them are too "undercooked" to really be enjoyable, but several of them can be fun for those who learn to overlook or work around certain flaws.

• Like 1

Battlemorph is better than Cybermorph imo

Its more varied, looks better and is less annoying.

I never find Cybermorph very annoying, I think you really have to suck to crash and hear the whole "Where did you learn to fly" or "Avoid the ground"... I got the game after watching AVGN and was expecting the worst, but those actually made me laugh, it's really dry and sarcastic! Battlemorph is better though, but of course it's only on CD and that's super expensive really, only got mine two weeks ago...

I like the list at the top that Travis posted.

The games to me are unique... or at least, they are "different."

I would say a large number of the games on the Jaguar are very "European"... which is odd since Atari is mostly American. But when you look at most games that are out... they either have a heavy Japanese influence, or are outright American. But Atari Jaguar's games has many of the classic games of the time (Doom, Wolf 3D, etc...) but then you also have a lot of games that came from European developers or were European inspired. Plus, you also have a lot of Atari classic remakes.

I like the list at the top that Travis posted.

The games to me are unique... or at least, they are "different."

I would say a large number of the games on the Jaguar are very "European"... which is odd since Atari is mostly American. But when you look at most games that are out... they either have a heavy Japanese influence, or are outright American. But Atari Jaguar's games has many of the classic games of the time (Doom, Wolf 3D, etc...) but then you also have a lot of games that came from European developers or were European inspired. Plus, you also have a lot of Atari classic remakes.

Well I am British, maybe that's why I like it so much 'D

• Like 1

I don't think there are a whole lot of Jaguar games that really pop out at a glance and get people interested in the system.

Games like AVP, Rayman, and Tempest 2000 generally seem to have the most appeal. But most other games require spending a little time on to really develop an interest in them. Personally I'd recommend titles like Super Burnout, Battlemorph, Ruiner Pinball, Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D and Iron Soldier. My favorite is Zero 5 but the controls have such a steep learning curve.

Generally, most Jaguar stuff still require you have a penchant for retro gaming to really care much about it.

Personally I got into the Jaguar when the N64 and PSX were still on the market and the Jaguar was that strange 64-bit system of the same generation that never got mentioned. But there was also a lot of support from companies like Scatologic, Telegames, B&C, and Songbird that continued to release games of commercial quality or greater (note the bar can get pretty low on commercial games). Some like phase zero, skyhammer, BIWN, and Battlesphere even demonstrated technical potential that exceeded commercial games and showed what kinds of games the system was capable of if handled by talented teams.

In terms of the games themselves, there are a decent number of arcade style games or unique games that are exclusive to the system. I collect games from the 2600 generation to the current generation and most systems seem to have a unique character with some good games of a style you can't quite find on any other system.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

I would say a large number of the games on the Jaguar are very "European"... which is odd since Atari is mostly American. [...] but then you also have a lot of games that came from European developers or were European inspired.

Could you describe what you mean with a "european" style/feel of the games? I'm really interested.

Could you describe what you mean with a "european" style/feel of the games? I'm really interested.

Well, I guess a European style platformer (as an example) would be something like Superfrog or Oscar, with a one button push up to jump kinda thing with non-linear level design... Then there's something like Syndicate, another game with European styling... There's Cannon Fodder, with it's hilarious "only we mad British could mess around like this" intro (if you own a CD32)... Hard to nail down into an accurate description now I'm on the spot 'D

Well, I guess a European style platformer (as an example) would be something like Superfrog or Oscar, with a one button push up to jump kinda thing with non-linear level design... Then there's something like Syndicate, another game with European styling... There's Cannon Fodder, with it's hilarious "only we mad British could mess around like this" intro (if you own a CD32)... Hard to nail down into an accurate description now I'm on the spot 'D

Yeah, I know about the so called European platformer where you can discover the map in all directions, as Gunlord and so worth is called, but next to that... what is typical european games with Syndicate, Cannon fodder???

Is it just European developers? Amiga ports? What's the general deal here?

I am American, of course and I like distinctly American games, but I also agree with LianneJaguar64 and I like European game styles very much too. I've never been a fan of most Japanese stuff. Hence I prefer American and European computers and consoles more. Atari, Commodore, Sinclair...I wish they all still existed. I do hate Windows and Microsoft though, even if they are American. Apple is all right. I guess it's the English blood and heritage (technically Welsh) in me even though I was born a Texan and American.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1