IGNORED

Best reason to own a Jaguar?

LianneJaguar64

Could you describe what you mean with a "european" style/feel of the games? I'm really interested.

Well, so there's a few aspects to this. For one, the Amiga and Atari ST were no where near as popular in the US (per capita) as it was in Europe. In the United States, the PC was really the dominant computer in the 80s for those who didn't have a Commodore 64.

But when you look at systems like the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, etc... which were around the time just before the Jaguar, those systems were HEAVILY Japanese influenced (for obvious reasons). Because most "US" based games were generally computer/PC based, most of them didn't find their way onto Atari platforms. You still had games from TSR or from EPYX and stuff, but the Atari ST games were largely written by European companies or made for a European crowd.

Now, when you look at those games on the Jaguar... you did have a couple of popular games for the time that were mostly US based... IE: DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, NBA Jam, etc.. Then of course, you also had your typical Atari-based games... which included Breakout, Missile Command 3D, Tempest, Defender, etc.... all awesome games.

But then you get sort of the more random, less common games, and you look at the content.

Power Drive Rally is a great example. In the United States, you can spend all day on the street asking people if they know what Pro Rally is, and probably not find a single one. For that matter, most everyone here thinks Formula-1 is another name for Indy Car (which it most clearly is NOT!). In Europe, particularly in places like Finland, Sweden, etc... you'd have a much harder time finding someone who DOESN'T know what Pro Rally is.

Then you look at the sports games... for the games that were actually released during normal production... you have two soccer games... and honestly, hockey and football never really came out (until after the fact).

Most of the platformer games... many of them are from European manufacturers, even if released by Atari...

I like it personally, the Jaguar just has many unique games that aren't what I would consider to be "mainstream."

• Like 1

I think the "only" reason to have a Jag is that once you have pretty much everything else you care for (maybe Atari only) then it becomes a "why not?" .... and we can write at length on the why not but still it's intriguing.

The point is that I doubt many people had it as one of the first consoles they collected, a few did (pat yourself on the back but that's it), in general one reaches the Jag once he's done the rounds on all the way back to PS1, Sat and it has already satisfied his 8bit and 16bit cravings (those come first), then there's this moment of now what? .... 3DO, Jaguar, PC-FX, FM Town Marty, CD32 and same other crop up at that point.

It's not everyone experience but odds-n-ends usually come last and the Jag fits the bill.

Well, with Reboot BASIC (rB+) the Jaguar just became easy to homebrew for. The thing about most consoles is that you hit their limitations fast. The Jag can handle tons of sprites in high color plus have a mod player cranking tunes in the background. I'd say homebrew games (making or playing) is another big reason to own a Jaguar.

• Like 1

I think the "only" reason to have a Jag is that once you have pretty much everything else you care for (maybe Atari only) then it becomes a "why not?" .... and we can write at length on the why not but still it's intriguing.

The point is that I doubt many people had it as one of the first consoles they collected, a few did (pat yourself on the back but that's it), in general one reaches the Jag once he's done the rounds on all the way back to PS1, Sat and it has already satisfied his 8bit and 16bit cravings (those come first), then there's this moment of now what? .... 3DO, Jaguar, PC-FX, FM Town Marty, CD32 and same other crop up at that point.

It's not everyone experience but odds-n-ends usually come last and the Jag fits the bill.

Ironically the Jaguar was my first console two years back when I was 16 'D just knew I wanted something, saw a whole bunch of different systems, 3D0, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, N64 etc.... Picked Jaguar instead 'D

Well, with Reboot BASIC (rB+) the Jaguar just became easy to homebrew for. The thing about most consoles is that you hit their limitations fast. The Jag can handle tons of sprites in high color plus have a mod player cranking tunes in the background. I'd say homebrew games (making or playing) is another big reason to own a Jaguar.

You actually make a good point, people are amazed when I tell them that new games still come out... Jag and Dreamcast are the two best machines for new releases, and they're two of my favourites <3

I'm torn on this one.

On one hand I like that there's a homebrew ecosystem for old clunkers at the same time there's so much more that can be done on newer hardware is not even funny.

If it's a good game I think it should NOT be confined by the limits of old tech .... but I understand people wanting to do it just because they can, all the power to them.

Also some "homebrew" these days rival the prices of full fledged games on current platforms and that I cannot really justify to my wallet, unless the particular game is my preferred one (lucky me there aren't many).

I keep on using Pier Solar as an example, it's a commercial release for retro console that got plenty of accolades on the Megadrive but on 360/PS1 it was seen without much of the nostalgia factor and didn't get exactly raving reviews. I don't think graphics and music got worse in the passage, it's just that people expectation is much higher also about the kind of game, which tells a lot about all the accolades it received on older platform ... maybe it was merely a marvel for pushing the limit of an older platform rather than genuinely a game worthy of its money and here lies the tragedy ... why is it that it seems to be more important to push older tech rather than to make better games on new systems?

In a way it's like those demos of old, in which very interesting effects were generated (gfx or music) but that rarely turned into something actually usable outside of the demo itself .... they were showcases of the coders abilities for sure (I still watch Second Reality from time to time) and the willingness to push the boundaries of what was understood to be possible but they only really amazed within their time period.

I for once always loved Daytona USA in the arcades, and I was extremely happy when the 360 version came out, to me it looked exactly the same ... in reality it turns out they had to increase the resolution and framerate ... uh guess my memories were failing me and the game was worse than I remember or that I got used to in the meantime.

The Jaguar was really at the tail end of video gaming for me. It came out when I was just out of middle school and in high school. At the time, I wasn't even really into video games anymore, except for the ones I could play on the PC. I can barely remember seeing the commercials on TV (specifically Doom), and thought it was really dumb to buy the Jaguar for Doom when you could get it on the PC. I remember some kid in class had bought an Atari Jaguar and I was making fun of him for it... hahah... (I feel bad now).

When I graduated high school, the Jaguar had just been axed, and all the Jaguars at KayBee Toys and Electronics Boutique were on clearance. So... I bought a couple of systems since they were $25 bucks each... and bought one of each game since they were $5 bucks per cartridge and $7 per CD game.

• Like 1

Best reason to own a Jag?

Basically to own and play a handful games ranging from good to great, some of them unique to the system or oddly atmospheric:

Brutal Sports Football

Tempest 2000

Super Burnout

Val D'Isere

Cybermorph

Doom

Wolfenstein 3D

Rayman

Raiden

Ultra Vortek

Pinball Fantasies

I-War

Battlemorph, Vid Grid, and Homebrews are pretty much the only compelling reasons to look into the CD.

If none of this stuff interests you then it's probably best to ignore the system. Which is truly understandable, most affection for the Jaguar falls squarely into the "you had to be there" category.

Best reason to own a Jag?

Basically to own and play a handful games ranging from good to great, some of them unique to the system or oddly atmospheric:

Brutal Sports Football

Tempest 2000

Super Burnout

Val D'Isere

Cybermorph

Doom

Wolfenstein 3D

Rayman

Raiden

Ultra Vortek

Pinball Fantasies

I-War

Battlemorph, Vid Grid, and Homebrews are pretty much the only compelling reasons to look into the CD.

If none of this stuff interests you then it's probably best to ignore the system. Which is truly understandable, most affection for the Jaguar falls squarely into the "you had to be there" category.

Well I got my CD unit about three weeks ago, and personally I'd add World Tour Racing, take off Vidgrid and replace that with Hover Strike Unconquered Lands, then squeeze I'm Baldies and Myst too :)

Although I am a chili's fan so I love playing that song 'd Honestly it's because I don't have a memory track yet so it seems a bit pointless to play... And of course the VLM was impressive especially considering the systems chipset... I love playing T2K soundtrack on that, it gives a race vibe :P

Edited by LianneJaguar64

Could you describe what you mean with a "european" style/feel of the games? I'm really interested.

It means that most of the Jaguar's 2D games are ports from the Amiga computer. That machine was much more popular in Europe than anywhere else, and very few of the games came from the US or Japan, unlike most game systems then and now.

Did any games come from Japan?

I just glanced at the list of Jaguar titles. Someone please check my work, but I do not see a single Japanese game on the Jaguar.

Raiden was a Japanese coin-op game, but Imagitec handled the port to Jaguar. They worked on a total of 8 Jaguar games (including soundtracks to the Llamasoft games).

Super Burnout looks and feels a lot like Sega's Super Hang-On game, but Shen is from Europe, too.

I just glanced at the list of Jaguar titles. Someone please check my work, but I do not see a single Japanese game on the Jaguar.

Raiden was a Japanese coin-op game, but Imagitec handled the port to Jaguar. They worked on a total of 8 Jaguar games (including soundtracks to the Llamasoft games).

Super Burnout looks and feels a lot like Sega's Super Hang-On game, but Shen is from Europe, too.

Yeah the Super Burnout dev team was French 'D

One of my favorite things about the Jaguar is all western software and a total lack of Japanese uninspired crap. I love Japan and Japanese culture, except when it comes to video games (not systems which can have western games on them, just Japanese software), I loath those, especially Japanese RPG's...yuck! Thank God for western RPG's like Elder Scrolls!

Edited by Gunstar