IGNORED

Best reason to own a Jaguar?

LianneJaguar64

I dont think that there is any single best reason to own the Jaguar (or any other platform). For me, the Jaguar is interesting as Atari Corps' last stand and for the handful of quirky, memorable exclusives on the system. Even many of the "bad games" have a so-bad its good quality. And the majority of the games aren't nearly as bad as people claim. I enjoy it as much today as I did in '94.

• Like 3

I dont think that there is any single best reason to own the Jaguar (or any other platform). For me, the Jaguar is interesting as Atari Corps' last stand and for the handful of quirky, memorable exclusives on the system. Even many of the "bad games" have a so-bad its good quality. And the majority of the games aren't nearly as bad as people claim. I enjoy it as much today as I did in '94.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

I guess I feel the same way... There really aren't bad games to me... Just some with a lower quality than others... The game's themselves are usually still OK!

I've said it elsewhere on this forum, some time before:

Taken in 2015, at 'face value', there are PLENTY of fun Jaguar gaming experiences to be had on varying levels - if it's for the insane challenge of Zero 5... the cheesy 90's stench of Mortal Kombat-alike 'Kasumi Ninja'... the impressive scale of Iron Soldier... or the crazy individuality of AOTMPenguins... etc etc, there really is plenty to be happy with on the Jaguar. For me, there's LITTLE on the system NOT worth bothering with.

Yes - when compared back in 94 - 96 against Saturn & PS1, the Jaguar paled when directly compared and, that STILL holds relevance, historically speaking. However, those historic facts do little to affect my thorough enjoyment of the Jaguar and my Jag games today! If anything, time itself has actually been kinder to the Jag, helping fade away the scars and just leave what's important: solid, fun, gaming.

As is true with ANY other console, just avoid the stinkers and embroil yourself with the good stuff. Plenty of fun, unique gaming experiences to be had here...

As is true with ANY other console, just avoid the stinkers and embroil yourself with the good stuff. Plenty of fun, unique gaming experiences to be had here...

Amen.

I guess on the Jag but also 7800 or any other console with a relatively small library, if the percentage of stinkers is high it's hard to not think about them.

Consoles with lots of games tend to have also lots of good games (not in percentage) so even if there's a sea of stinkers too, one does not need to care too much as there's always another good game to play. Not so when the library is small, after say 10-15 games that's it.

By any stretch 15 games on a library of 60 is a good percentage of good games, is that in absolute numbers it is indeed very paltry.

Edited by phoenixdownita

To each, their own. The last part of your post is exactly how I feel about the 7800.

Some good-great original releases, but I think the 7800 is worth owning just for Bob's (PacManPlus), let alone all the other great homebrews. Some have said the same about the JagCD and Skunkboard so they can play homebrews available for the Jaguar. :)

I reached the same conclusion (fed up) on the Jag(+CD), 7800 and XEGS .... which is sad as they represent all of my Atari consoles, good thing is that I am also fed up of FM Towns Marty, CD32, PCFX, Vectrex, SMS, Famicom.

I still care somehow for the Genesis (+CD,+32x), SNES and Duo-R, so I should stick to those.

Not sure why the change of heart, I just know that it happened and I find little joy playing any of those aforementioned platform games.

I do care a little more for more modern platforms (circa 95 and onward) but not all of them, somehow the Saturn (but not the DC), the Xbox original, the PS2 (and PS1 via back compat), the Wii but not the GC, a little fed up of the N64 as well (some good games but lots of not so good or available elsewhere nowadays).

I guess it's time for me to clean the house ;-)

Edited by phoenixdownita

For me the Jaguar is fascinating. How could one company get something so wrong on so many levels.

It is not a good console and has a poor library but I would never get rid of mine.

Its like having a bad tooth.

Sure its not healthy, and its painful. you know how bad it is yet you can't help prod and poke at it and keep messing with it despite knowing how bad it is.

you know the sensible thing is to just get rid of it but you leave it in the hope that it may just get better.

More and more I think the best reason to own a Jaguar is just to make all the smeg-heads wonder why...

Oh, and if you don't know what a smeg-head is, you are one. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, Sun, Sun...at least until you find out what a smeg-head is, maybe after, maybe not.

Edited by Gunstar

You Rimmer.

Please continue.

Meanwhile in a forum far far away:

How about life...I'm 47 now and I'd love to be 16 again. But guess what? If I had the choice to be 16 today or to go back to 1984 when I was 16 I'd pick 1984 in a heartbeat...for nostalgia. Or even 26 years old again now or in 1994, but I'd take 1994 over today in a heartbeat. I would want to make different choices and change things, not just live a complete rerun (though I'd accept a complete rerun too, if I didn't remember it all already), but I'd rather live in that day and age at 16 rather than 2015 at 16. Nostalgia. The good old days. friends and family long gone.

... you should really take your own advice and cool off.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Please continue.

Meanwhile in a forum far far away:

... you should really take your own advice and cool off.

Really? And why should you think I'm hot? I'm just having fun. Sorry you can't take a joke, but it's probably because you have no idea what a smeg-head is, or who Rimmer is...and probably have little or no sense of humor yourself...like a Rimmer! All you have to do is Wiki it, though finding out that way is the Rimmer way of smeg-heads... :P If you were to find out what a smeg-head is the proper way, it would be 'The End'. And once you've learned all there is about smeg-heads, it would be just 'The Beginning'! :D Don't understand? You are a Rimmer. :P

And changing choices I made 2+ years ago is about bigger( and smaller) things than making fun of smeg-heads like you. None of it was necessarily directed at you until you started feeling it personally and replying to my joke comments, which only makes you that much more of a smeg-head! LOL

Edited by Gunstar

Cool it.

small-lock.jpg

I'm sorry, but I'm just laughing my arse off over here, Every single reply this guy makes is exactly the type of reply Rimmer would make, and Lister would be calling him a smeg-head. He really is! But I guess the joke has gone on long enough if you are threatening to lock the thread. i guess you know nothing of Rimmer the smeg-head or lister either...PLEASE, go watch the UK TV show RED DWARF. The first episode is enough. A cult classic for over 27 years! I thought most people around here knew of it! it's on Hulu and I think Netflix too .I'm SURE there are even clips or episodes even on Youtube. Please, watch the show and see what a smeg-head this Rimmer is being! But yes, I will cool it now, I have to or I'll die laughing! LOL!

Edited by Gunstar

I'm sorry, but I'm just laughing my arse off over here, Every single reply this guy makes is exactly the type of reply Rimmer would make, and Lister would be calling him a smeg-head. He really is! But I guess the joke has gone on long enough if you are threatening to lock the thread. i guess you know nothing of Rimmer the smeg-head or lister either...PLEASE, go watch the UK TV show RED DWARF. The first episode is enough. A cult classic for over 27 years! I thought most people around here knew of it! it's on Hulu and I think Netflix too. Please, watch the show and see what a smeg-head this Rimmer is being!

I hope one of these days, Albert listens to me and removes the Jaguar forum, got close one time.

And I hate Red Dwarf just as much as Doctor Who.

• Like 1

I hope one of these days, Albert listens to me and removes the Jaguar forum, got close one time.

And I hate Red Dwarf just as much as Doctor Who.

Oh God, your a smeg-head too. I suppose I have to worry about getting banned by a smeg-head.

Edited by Gunstar