IGNORED

The Heavy Vader Project

Rick Dangerous

Hey Everyone,

I need some recommendations and help with a project I am working on.

I have an early Sunnyvale heavy sixer I picked up of craigslist recently (2 years ago probably..lol) and it looks like it's had a slightly rough life. Since I have a minty heavy sixer already, I thought this one would be fun to do a project with. I have always loved the look of the Vader 2600, and I always though a heavy sixer would look great in that color scheme. Normally I would never "deface" a classic like a heavy sixer, but since this one needs some TLC I though why not. So what I would like to have done is the following.

1. Fix Heavy Sixer: Gets a black screen with some static. I don't think it needs much.

2. AV Mod heavy sixer- I would like an AV mod with true stereo, S-Video if possible, and a Red LED over on the left side of the unit.

3. Custom Paint- I would like it done up in the Vader color scheme, with the orange switch surround blacked out and the woodgrain done in a glossy professional manner, with a new Silver Atari Logo on the left hand side and a custom silver "Heavy Vader" in a similar font over on the right hand side.

Not having the skill to do these things myself, i'd like to find someone on here who can do one, or all three of these things, in a clean and professional manner. I'm willing to break up the work if need be, but the less times i have to ship it the better!

I'll post after pics when it's done for all to enjoy! Please help me find the right person to breath some new life into this classic! :)

post-38373-0-91111600-1445204204_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-05405400-1445204213_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-24734700-1445204223_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This has been done before:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183074-vader-h6-my-evening-project/

You don't need any custom paint; the orange paint on the bezel comes off rather easily with rubbing alcohol, and the woodgrain also comes off with rubbing alcohol, but it takes a lot longer (see post #6 in that thread).

As for the logo and text you want on the front, have someone with a vinyl cutting plotter (such as a sign shop) make you some out of "chrome" looking adhesive-backed vinyl, along the lines of this stuff. Ask for 3M brand if its available; their stuff is the best. You'll want vector drawings of the Atari logo and "Heavy Vader" text which can be fed directly into the plotter.

• Like 1

This has been done before:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/183074-vader-h6-my-evening-project/

You don't need any custom paint; the orange paint on the bezel comes off rather easily with rubbing alcohol, and the woodgrain also comes off with rubbing alcohol, but it takes a lot longer (see post #6 in that thread).

As for the logo and text you want on the front, have someone with a vinyl cutting plotter (such as a sign shop) make you some out of "chrome" looking adhesive-backed vinyl, along the lines of this stuff. Ask for 3M brand if its available; their stuff is the best. You'll want vector drawings of the Atari logo and "Heavy Vader" text which can be fed directly into the plotter.

Thanks! Great tips and inspiration.

I think for starters i'll send it to Electronic Sentimentalities and have it fixed and AV modded

Then i'll focus on the aesthetics..

I'd really like a gloss paint look on the front plastic, the hardened ceramic look seen on some custom N64's lately (but in black) and then i'd like to work on the high quality silver logos. I think i'd like to mirror the Vader 4 switch by putting it on the left and having the "Heavy Vader" on the right.

The AV mod will be the easy part, any know paintmasters on AA who can do that ceramic look?

post-38373-0-53701100-1445225774_thumb.jpg

I'd really like a gloss paint look on the front plastic, the hardened ceramic look seen on some custom N64's lately (but in black) and then i'd like to work on the high quality silver logos. I think i'd like to mirror the Vader 4 switch by putting it on the left and having the "Heavy Vader" on the right.

The one in the thread I linked to has a high gloss on the front plastic; did you look at the pictures full size? I bet you could see your reflection in there. I don't know if the plastic is naturally that shiny beneath the woodgrain or if he polished it. In any event, the plastic can be polished to whatever level of shine you want (for example, by progressing up to about 6,000 grit wet sanding, followed by Novus). Plastic that is manufactured black beats black paint. The only reason to use paint would be to change the color or to add an effect like metal flake. If you just want black, well, it's already black and you could make it like a mirror with some elbow grease, and it won't be subject to chipping/flaking or looking like a coating instead of an inherent color like paint.

• 4 months later...

Got the Heavy Sixer back from it's mod

Next up will be clearing the bezel of paint with rubbing alcohol, and then dropping it off at a model shop to have the wood-grain painted flat black and sealed.

I know the AV mod is nothing too exciting, but just wanted to update before "Phase III" :)

post-38373-0-30005400-1456409731_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-27065200-1456409738_thumb.jpg

• Like 4