IGNORED

UPDATE to Stranger game - now on 379 inverted Cartridge!

Retrospect

It is nice to see the compiler in active use--and nice to see new cartridge files too. I will have to burn this one into a cartridge and test it out. If it works, I'll get some labels made for it too. . .

Brilliant..... one thing, let me know if you come across any bugs - there might be some newly introduced ones, even as small as text not being placed rightly on the screen.

If there's more , I'll update it. Obviously, if it's to go further than something for yourself to play with, then it's out of my hands as Mike is the author .... I just tarted it all up a little :)

I hope the original author doesn't mind too much, but I took the liberty of creating a cartridge image from the "Stranger" text adventure game that comes bundled with the Classic99 emulator.

You could probably ask Tursi, the original author, instead of leaving it to chance - he's a pretty regular forum user ;)

Omega, you forget that I am one of those crazy people who has at least one of each of the new board types to play with ;) Inverted or not, I can test it on the correct hardware. . .or carefully pull the original file apart and reassemble it in the correct order for the other hardware type. :) :) :)

• Like 2

Well, to be honest, I was never looking for anything more than a little fun with what I think, or hope, is source that's open to modify, s'long as it's Mike Ward's name or Tursi's name on it and never mine :)

I was just having a play with it really, see what can be done with it.

It's a great little adventure, I love text adventures but especially on the TI because its not a trash-80. It can do more. And it's fun to play around with the fonts.

Edited by Retrospect

Technically I like to be asked, but when you put that much love into something, it's a pleasant surprise. Thanks for doing this, I will have a play after work. :)

I wrote this game when I was 14 or so, and I was playing with trying to write a parser that was flexible like the Infocom ones. (It's not as smart, obviously, but since it just looks for keywords it's slightly more flexible than the old verb/noun parsers). And the idea came while I was crawling under a road through a frozen drainage ditch with my friends. ;)

• Like 2

Omega, you forget that I am one of those crazy people who has at least one of each of the new board types to play with ;) Inverted or not, I can test it on the correct hardware. . .or carefully pull the original file apart and reassemble it in the correct order for the other hardware type. :) :) :)

SA-WEEEEEEET Works for me thanks! Looking forward to it!

The way I altered the input was to have two print statements followed by an ACCEPT AT(24,1) statement right after the prints. It scrolls the screen nicely and makes it clear for user input, also it was made to print out the last command the user inputted before deciding on what action to take. I did all that just to get rid of the beep the TI makes on a standard INPUT A$ command.

Are there any CALL PEEK commands available that would switch off the sound for a standard input, I wonder?

Thanks Tursi, this one got me quite excited and I didn't remember to ask first :)

I'm sure I've left a bug in there. I had difficulty getting to the bit where you tie the rope to the tree (do you do that?) just after the spider goes away (spoiler)

Edited by Retrospect

Technically I like to be asked, but when you put that much love into something, it's a pleasant surprise. Thanks for doing this, I will have a play after work. :)

I wrote this game when I was 14 or so, and I was playing with trying to write a parser that was flexible like the Infocom ones. (It's not as smart, obviously, but since it just looks for keywords it's slightly more flexible than the old verb/noun parsers). And the idea came while I was crawling under a road through a frozen drainage ditch with my friends. ;)

Unleashing the inner Greg Hassett in you. And really only a TRS-80 guy would know who the heck that was. He started adventures at 13 or 14 , but his parsers were not as clever as the one in Stranger. They were probably less able to detect words along a sentence. :)

Couple of things I noticed, if you are willing to make fixes. :)

-when you restart after dying, it doesn't erase your inventory

-in the description "You are at the top of a high cliff near a tree. A stick rope is securely attached..." --- should be a "sticky" rope.

-In the description "You are in a hallway. You can go West, North (Into a room..." etc, the "Back outside" part at the end has too many spaces between the characters and doesn't wrap nicely.

-In the description "You are still in an East-Westhall" -- should be a space between "West" and "hall"

(these spacing ones are probably caused by my attempts to manually wrap the lines ;) )

-"You are in an empty room with an exit to the south" -- it says "there is no card here", and you can't take the card. Should be a card you can take! :) (Original say "There is an ID Card here", and the keyword is 'ID', so that's important :) )

-There's still an input beep on the last room, and the secret code only works in lowercase (the rest of the game expects uppercase).

-(My original bug) "Congradulations" on the win message should be "Congratulations". ;)

-You didn't take credit for the conversion! Feel free to add your name. :)

I'll PM you the walkthrough. ;)

• Like 1

Couple of things I noticed, if you are willing to make fixes. :)

-when you restart after dying, it doesn't erase your inventory

-in the description "You are at the top of a high cliff near a tree. A stick rope is securely attached..." --- should be a "sticky" rope.

-In the description "You are in a hallway. You can go West, North (Into a room..." etc, the "Back outside" part at the end has too many spaces between the characters and doesn't wrap nicely.

-In the description "You are still in an East-Westhall" -- should be a space between "West" and "hall"

(these spacing ones are probably caused by my attempts to manually wrap the lines ;) )

-"You are in an empty room with an exit to the south" -- it says "there is no card here", and you can't take the card. Should be a card you can take! :) (Original say "There is an ID Card here", and the keyword is 'ID', so that's important :) )

-There's still an input beep on the last room, and the secret code only works in lowercase (the rest of the game expects uppercase).

-(My original bug) "Congradulations" on the win message should be "Congratulations". ;)

-You didn't take credit for the conversion! Feel free to add your name. :)

I'll PM you the walkthrough. ;)

Aye that would be handy, the walkthrough :)

Cheers Tursi .... I knew there would be one or two things need doing .... Might as well get it all done in one go later on when i get back in.

It's run out of memory, basically.

Might be time to move to a different assembler, such as Win994A or ralph's new assembler. I'd recommend the latter as it's in active development and is fully supported.

Aye, either that, or I cut down some of the stuff I've added. It's over 23K in all - I think I can make cuts and improve bits of code to get that down to 20K easily.