IGNORED

UPDATE to Stranger game - now on 379 inverted Cartridge!

Retrospect

Well, anything's fine by me, Tursi will be around sometime later, maybe ask him too, "Stranger" is his baby really, I just tarted it up with graphics and sounds and a new font ;)

Cool, I'm just making them for the cost of my time/rom and cheap shipping.. I can also do full on carts if you guys are interested like we did for minesweeper..

Greg

• Like 1

You may distribute, Greg, thanks for asking.

This became an interesting challenge for me.. somehow I got obsessed with the idea of throwing it onto a 16k cartridge board... but the game's about 22k. So I ended up hunting around for compressors.

Ultimately, it was harder than I thought to find something 16-bit compatible. And it was a tough compression -- ZIP only got it to 14k. I did a lot of work porting a 6502-based inflater, only to realize near the end I was porting the rotation opcodes wrong.

Finally I found 'puff', a reference implementation of inflate included with the zlib library. It was touted as 16-bit clean, so I gave it a shot. Having a working GCC is wonderful - it worked first try. But, it was too big to fit the unpacker and the data on 16k.

I did a little optimization (mostly removing error checking code), but I also had to add code to check for the page boundary and flip pages. I also hunted and found a better deflater than both Windows ZIP and gzip -- advzip worked quite well. Between all that, I was able to add the progress bar and still have a hundred and some bytes free.

So, I don't know for sure, but maybe notable as the first TI game that unzips itself into RAM from cart? ;)

• Like 2

As for the game itself, Retrospect turned something that I'd done decades ago and sort of shrugged off into something I think is pretty cool, big thanks to him that I wanted in a separate post so it was clear. :)

Bless ya Tursi .... it was a lot of fun for me to do, I enjoyed working on the graphics, and experimenting with the fonts. :)

cool :) I´ve added "Stranger" to my list. @Retrospect: Do you prefer the name shown inside the game, or the AA-name from here ? :)

Do you have the year when it was created ?

thanks a lot

schmitzi

Well, to me, it's always gonna be Mike Ward's "Stranger" .... that has a ring to it, kind of like 'Scott Adam's Adventure'.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Today I started Stranger adventure and it brings back good memories (of the Scott's adventures)

sitting hours digging in English dictionaries figuring out which words to use.

but let's first try to see how far we get (and that is not far yet :-)

(but Greg at least I am further than you got).

I need to get that rope to the tree and climb that cliff

(THROW, SWING, SLING, LASSO, ATTACH, CONNECT, STICK, GLUE, HANG. ROPE)

• Like 2

hmmm, i am dying dying dying :) or stuck in the first step, tunnel since hours now :)

it´s dark and I am anxious haha

but no chance to escape, the spider vanishes after a time, but I can not go anywhere...

maybe there is a hintbook or so ? I think I don´t have the right vocabular or so.

this here I is where I am stuck:

post-41141-0-06407400-1452431901_thumb.jpg

hmmm, i am dying dying dying :) or stuck in the first step, tunnel since hours now :)

it´s dark and I am anxious haha

but no chance to escape, the spider vanishes after a time, but I can not go anywhere...

maybe there is a hintbook or so ? I think I don´t have the right vocabular or so.

this here I is where I am stuck:

attachicon.gifdrain.JPG

Okay I feel this becomes an interactive Adventure where we need to help each other out. Go UP! (and "Look" and "Take" items)

(vaguely I can remember that in that time I was using a Disk sector editor to figure out all the words available in Scotts Adams Adventures

but not too sure about that), also (after a long time), I got the hints book, but then it is still difficult to complete those, gee that was complicated.

• Like 1

Do we report bugs here?

(I got the key already and when I went back to the initial location the key was there again).

That's not really a bug as such ... well it IS ... but we knew about it. It's a bit like when you get a rope, there's always another rope there ... useless after the rope has been tied ... but its there. :)

• Like 1