IGNORED

1400XL on eBay

bob1200xl

Hmmm.. that one seems odd.. The fonts on the computer logo seem wrong. Also wasnt it mentioned earlier in this thread that the 1400xl didnt have F3 & F4? This looks like a 1200xl that somebody slapped a home-made logo on to pass as a 1400xl.. I wouldnt bid unless I had better proof it WAS a 1400xl.

My first thought also. But then you see it has the PBI slot and it doesn't appear to be just hacked out of the case. Then the motherboard photos.

I'm not sure of the story of the 1400XL but I don't think it was much beyond proto phase, it's probably the case that a large number of them were incomplete and that multiple revisions of different parts exist.

Congratulations Bob!!!! That is fantastic :grin:

gTfagxc.png

Your wife was probably blown away when you told her, and it kinda justifies all the Atari stuff you own.

- Michael

I'm thinking this is a reasonable price. I bought my 1400XL in 2008 for $3k.

Mine does not have a ID badge at all, unlike the currently listed unit with the home made badge.

Edit: Added pics

1400XL Front

1400XL Inside

Edited by Bumzyman
  • Like 1

I'm thinking this is a reasonable price. I bought my 1400XL in 2008 for $3k.

Mine does not have a ID badge at all, unlike the currently listed unit with the home made badge.

Edit: Added pics

Ahh so you now own my old 1400! S#1 hand made modem and prototype hand written label on bottom. There are days I regret originally selling it.

Ahh so you now own my old 1400! S#1 hand made modem and prototype hand written label on bottom. There are days I regret originally selling it.

I had forgotten what your handle was on here... Do you remember all the other stuff I bought from you back then?

I must have hit the lottery that year or something. Looking back now at how much I spent on Atari hardware that year all I can do is shake my head.

Heck, not just 8-bits either, I think I picked up two CT-60's around the same time.

They just sit in a box in my basement. Might as well let someone else use them.

I use the 1200XLs - all the time. I have some old, old 1200s that I might sell. Or, an 815.

Or, what would you like to see for sale?

Bob

I'd like to see an 815 go up for sale.

I've never seen one in real life before so I can't imagine what that would go for.

I had forgotten what your handle was on here... Do you remember all the other stuff I bought from you back then?

I must have hit the lottery that year or something. Looking back now at how much I spent on Atari hardware that year all I can do is shake my head.

Heck, not just 8-bits either, I think I picked up two CT-60's around the same time.

I'm not sure you actually purchased it from me. I sold that unit back in 2002, for around $700 alone (I purchased it in the early 90's). (I sold a lot of other stuff, like 1450XL board, plastics, a XTM201 back then too.)

Wonder who now has this unit:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186649-xtm201-printer-working-sample/?p=2353753

Edited by kheller2

Dragon375, on 14 Aug 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:snapback.png

Hmmm.. that one seems odd.. The fonts on the computer logo seem wrong. Also wasnt it mentioned earlier in this thread that the 1400xl didnt have F3 & F4? This looks like a 1200xl that somebody slapped a home-made logo on to pass as a 1400xl.. I wouldnt bid unless I had better proof it WAS a 1400xl.

My first thought also. But then you see it has the PBI slot and it doesn't appear to be just hacked out of the case. Then the motherboard photos.

I'm not sure of the story of the 1400XL but I don't think it was much beyond proto phase, it's probably the case that a large number of them were incomplete and that multiple revisions of different parts exist.

hmmm. i understood that F1-F4 are included on 1400XL, and that it was LEDs L1 & L2 that don't exist?

The seller of this recent one posted pics (including PCB markings that include "1400" silkscreened onto the board), on the AtariAge Marketplace page on the Evil Facebook a day or two ago. He had no idea what he had; it had been in a big lot of stuff that was his son's. Photos show a homemade front case badge, but the case looks genuine (the SIO port and PBI connectors are in the correct place) so it's NOT a board stuffed into a hacked up 1200XL case, and the board photos make it looks pretty legit.

I'd bid on it myself if I had the kind of stupid money I used to have.

EDIT: here's a link to his second Marketplace post, after people pointed out the probably rarity of the 1400XL. His first post just showed it there among all the other stuff (an 800, some carts, etc).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625583534281736/permalink/646097568896999/

Edited by DrVenkman

I'd like to see an 815 go up for sale.

I've never seen one in real life before so I can't imagine what that would go for.

Last time I stopped by Bob Woolley's house when he lived in Alameda he still had an 815. He has since moved and probably hasn't had time to unpack anything yet, so who knows how long before he could even get to it.

The seller of this recent one posted pics (including PCB markings that include "1400" silkscreened onto the board), on the AtariAge Marketplace page on the Evil Facebook a day or two ago. He had no idea what he had; it had been in a big lot of stuff that was his son's. Photos show a homemade front case badge, but the case looks genuine (the SIO port and PBI connectors are in the correct place) so it's NOT a board stuffed into a hacked up 1200XL case, and the board photos make it looks pretty legit.

I'd bid on it myself if I had the kind of stupid money I used to have.

EDIT: here's a link to his second Marketplace post, after people pointed out the probably rarity of the 1400XL. His first post just showed it there among all the other stuff (an 800, some carts, etc).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625583534281736/permalink/646097568896999/

Yep I kinda figured that out, that it was likely genuine. But due to being a prototype not finished to a production level, I still don't think it would be worth as much as the one Bob sold, which was in a much more refined state. But then again who knows how crazy collectors can be :?

For me it isn't really worth much more than a 1200XL, since the modem is virtually useless, and the voice chip can likely be added in other cheaper ways. As for the PBI, not a whole heck of a lot requires that, and what does can be easily supplanted with alternative non-PBI upgrades. I guess I'm not much of a collector when it really comes down to it ;)

- Michael

I'm not sure you actually purchased it from me. I sold that unit back in 2002, for around $700 alone (I purchased it in the early 90's). (I sold a lot of other stuff, like 1450XL board, plastics, a XTM201 back then too.)

Wonder who now has this unit:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186649-xtm201-printer-working-sample/?p=2353753

I have all of that stuff.... Including a 1090XL....

I searched through my old records and found that his ebay ID was miller1987

Like I said in a previous post, I paid a little over $3k for that 1400XL but the rest of the stuff I was able to get from him directly. It still wasn't cheap though.

I just realized that this one's in the next town over from me, about a 15 minute drive away. If I was so inclined I could buy it and then pick it up, thereby avoiding shipping. But it's already up to US $1,126.00 and has 8 days to go, so that's already way more than my wallet can handle (or my head can stand the beating by my wife ;) ).

LINK: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322227321151?rmvSB=true

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Ya, the price seem to be getting up there. It is a lot for something you can't really use for anything.

I hope the person that finally gets it will someone that might be in a position to help add its functionality to Altria or other emulator so we all could enjoy playing with one.

You know I really thought Bob's 1400 luck on eBay was someone's misfortunate bidding typo. But, after being sniped so badly on this other 1400 for sale, I have to say that prototype gear is excessively expensive. The bidding went from $1350 to $3500 to over $4000 in under 5 seconds. I was particular interested in this unit because the board seemed slightly different from all the previous ones and had a non-ceramic Freddie. It also has the fabled fake label that was rumored to be happening with Atari's tossed gear.