IGNORED

RetroBlast: A 90's gaming RetroSpective (my new podcast)

Do you use Audacity? One thing I discovered with it in the last year is that you can play back the audio at a faster speed. For me it made editing go a lot faster, literally and figuratively.

As for editing, I didn't really know what I was doing when I started either. You'll learn as you go and get better at it.

It is HARD doing a podcast every week, especially if you pour a lot of research into it. It's better to go bi-weekly than to burn out and stop altogether.

• Like 2

It is HARD doing a podcast every week, especially if you pour a lot of research into it. It's better to go bi-weekly than to burn out and stop altogether.

Yeah, that's kinda my take right now. The main thing is just to keep doing episodes, and just keep it moving along. I really do want to get into the Super Nintendo and the Sega CD and all that stuff, and that is going to be quite a few shows into the future, so I just gotta keep my head down and keep banging out the shows, no matter how long it takes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 8 is now up....

Episode 8 starts off with a continuation story from the one told in episode 7. Kind of a catch up story, to get listeners caught up on the "drama" situation in late December 1990 and January 1991. However, this story is only about 27 minutes, and the real payoff story is actually coming with episode 9. I'm basically just trying to get listeners caught up with the timeline, but the payoff story is more of a February and March 1991 story, so saving that for episode 9.

After that story is over, we get into heavy Sega Genesis coverage. Three games on this episode. First, we start off with my final retail purchase of 1990. I bought Strider for the Genesis around mid to late December 1990. This game is known as a cult classic, but do I feel it's worthy of the cult classic status ? Tune in and find out... Then we get into my first two games of 1991. Somewhat obscure Genesis releases, Sword of Sodan by Electronic Arts and Hard Drivin' by Tengen.

I'm continuing to enjoy the show, and really liking the personal story in Episodes 7 + 8. I cannot imagine what it must have been like living through that. I had that bad feeling in my stomach just listening to what happened.

I am curious though, you were out of a job, still had credit card debt and bought a higher-than-normal priced Genesis game (Strider). Were you able to pay your minimum on your credit card bills during this time?

I am curious though, you were out of a job, still had credit card debt and bought a higher-than-normal priced Genesis game (Strider). Were you able to pay your minimum on your credit card bills during this time?

Well, actually I did pay my minimum payments for my Montgomery Wards card, as long as I was getting the bill. The problem was, I was changing addresses pretty frequently, and I didn't always send in a change of address to the credit card places. So, sometimes I wouldn't get a bill, and then it would kinda be "out of sight, out of mind" type thing. As long as the bills were comming to my address, I would pay them, but if I wasn't getting the bill anymore, I'd just forget about it.

Typical type stuff for a 19/20 year old I would think. At least it was typical for me.

I'm pretty sure I paid cash for Strider. Strider might have been like a Xmas gift to myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 9 is now up.....

Episode 9 features the conclusion to the 3 part personal story that began in episode 7. If you haven't heard episode 7 or 8, it's recommended that you skip this story entirely, just because it's not going to make as much sense. Of course, if you want to go back and hear episode 7 and 8, then hear episode 9, that's a good way to do it.

Another option, is just skip to the one hour, 26 minute mark, and bypass the opening story for the normal chronological gaming discussion. Episode 9 is covering all of February 1991 into the early part of March 1991. During this period, I acquired two different games. For the TurboGrafx-16 I ended up with the shmup Aeroblasters, and for the Sega Genesis I ended up with Dick Tracy. Check it out... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually stirrup pants would have been in my high school days. I remember a few short years in high school when everybody would wear suspenders on their pants, but then have the suspenders hanging down. How stupid was that... lol..

I even remember a period for about 2 years when dudes would buy Guess Jeans overalls, and wear them with both straps hanging down. The crazy thing about it, is that Guess didn't make overalls for men, so you had to buy a womans version of the overalls. Also, those things were unbelievably expensive at the time. Like $135 for a pair of girls guess overalls back in 1987. I did some Google image searches looking for that old 80's look, but didn't find anything that really fit the bill...

Actually stirrup pants would have been in my high school days. I remember a few short years in high school when everybody would wear suspenders on their pants, but then have the suspenders hanging down. How stupid was that... lol..

Dude, I totally remember that. Bugle Boy pants with the suspenders hanging down, some loud-ass t-shirt, and Vans shoes. We would also fold the pant legs over and then roll them up. Stirrup pants I don't know about. The only person I ever knew who wore those was my grandma.

I even remember a period for about 2 years when dudes would buy Guess Jeans overalls, and wear them with both straps hanging down. The crazy thing about it, is that Guess didn't make overalls for men, so you had to buy a womans version of the overalls. Also, those things were unbelievably expensive at the time. Like $135 for a pair of girls guess overalls back in 1987. I did some Google image searches looking for that old 80's look, but didn't find anything that really fit the bill...

That I don't remember. Overalls don't really have a waist, so how did they stay up? Didn't you one time use the phrase "The Jordache Look" on your show, or am I misremembering?

Edit: I also just finished listening to the current episode, and really liked it. But unless I missed it, I don't recall you saying what the other two Mega Drive games were that you rented with Batman.

Edited by Jibbajaba

Dude, I totally remember that. Bugle Boy pants with the suspenders hanging down, some loud-ass t-shirt, and Vans shoes. We would also fold the pant legs over and then roll them up. Stirrup pants I don't know about. The only person I ever knew who wore those was my grandma.

That I don't remember. Overalls don't really have a waist, so how did they stay up? Didn't you one time use the phrase "The Jordache Look" on your show, or am I misremembering?

Edit: I also just finished listening to the current episode, and really liked it. But unless I missed it, I don't recall you saying what the other two Mega Drive games were that you rented with Batman.

Yeah, I think I did mention the "Jordache Look" when talking about Montgomery Wards. I think I was explaining how Montgomery Wards was similar to Sears and that your parents might go there to buy a new mattress or a TV stand or something. I said that some people even bought clothes there, but that you better hope your parents weren't buying you clothes there or you'd end up with the "Jordache Look", heh heh...

As for the two other Mega Drive games that I rented with Batman, I think it was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (probably the Genesis version) and one other game that I can't recall right now. The deal was that you could get a converter and 3 games for $10 (or maybe $15 for a few days), but the 3 games you got didn't have to all be imports. You could mix and match. In March 1991, I had never tried Moonwalker at that point, so figured it would be a decent rental to check out.

Damn... I can't remember the other game now, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned it at some point.. My main focus was definitely Batman. The other games were just throw ins for the most part. It was the same thing with Power League 3. I got Dead Moon and Veiges Tactical Gladiator just because I had to throw two more games in the mix. Oh, by the way, after recording the epsiode I was looking at an EGM issue, and Dead Moon wasn't available yet in the USA, so I probably had a wee bit of hype about that game, just cause it was something you couldn't get in the USA at the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 11 is now up....

This week I'm happy to announce that I finally have been able to get Chris (Jibbajaba) to hop onto Skype and join me for a show. The show starts off with some questions that Chris had in regards to some things discussed on earlier episodes. We go over that, and then we get into a discussion about one of the better shooters on the Sega Genesis, Gaiares. If only I could pronounce the name of that damn game!!! We might struggle with the pronunciation, but we have a good discussion about this semi-cult classic on the Genny. After that, I talk about getting the May 1991 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly. The one with Sonic the Hedgehog on the cover:

egm22.jpg

We discuss some things that stood out to me about this particular issue of EGM, and then after that we get into a discussion about PGA Tour Golf.

I think it's a pretty interesting episode to check out. It was definitely fun to have Chris on the show, and I hope that when his schedule allows it he can join me for more episodes in the future...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 12 is now up....

This is the longest episode of RetroBlast yet. Not quite 3 hours, but still pretty beefy... Jibba joins me, for the second time, and we discuss a bunch of various topics. A good portion of the show we talk about a number of things that jumped out to me about the June 1991 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly:

covercritic073.jpg

After that, we do the longest Media Minute segment that I've done so far, so if you hate the Media Minute, there is a long section of the podcast to skip. To close out the show we do a deep dive discussion about Sonic the Hedgehog, which was my primary gaming purchase of June 1991.

• Like 2

Its the BP gas stations that have the Sonic ring sound.

It's not just BP. Obviously some company that makes POS software for mini-markets and liquor stores lifted that sound effect, and they must sell their software to tons of independently-owned stores. I know for sure that I've heard it in Chevron mini-markets.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 13 is up.....

Topics of discussion on episode 13:

1. A quick look back on the L.A. experience

2. The final game I played in LA, Midnight Resistance for the Sega Genesis

3. Back to Sacramento...

4. The July 1991 issue of EGM:

b9e799d9-a6e9-4713-be4b-cb9f4692a13a_zps

5. Chris Alaimo joins me for the longest media minute segment on RetroBlast so far. The Media Minute is trying to take over the show apparently...

6. My first gaming purchase after arriving back in Sacramento, Hardball for the Sega Genesis

7. Chris Alaimo joins me for an interview about why I decided to part ways with the TurboGrafx-16 back in August 1991...

Pretty lengthy show this time, nearly 3 hours. I need to start managing my time better in these podcasts....

• Like 2

The more eps. i hear of this show, the more I know my early-adulthood was the norm. I listened to NWA, Eazy-E, etc etc back then too, & I KNEW what NWA song you were going to play! There was also the little ditty sung to the Dr Pepper tune..." I'm a n----, he's a n---" & so on.

It was off "efil4zaggiN" the full album which was prefaced by a 5-track EP with "100 Miles & Runnin" on it & "Kamurshol" which of course is "Commercial", but I always thought was pronounced "CAM-er-shawl". Did you listen to any DOC, another guy Dre discovered? He was in an accident later on that damaged his vocal cords, & had a raspy voice thereafter. I imagine mention of "The Chronic" will be coming up, as it was a pretty big album.

(sorry I dont get to talk 90s rap much anymore)

Also I had a 16-year EGM collection, which began with June '91, & makes me want to follow along as you look at each issue. Sadly I got rid of it years ago due to space concerns; I wont say what happened to it, but it didnt go completely to waste. I had full runs of OPM, PSM, & Game Informer too. I should regret losing them but I dont.

While I had the EGMs I got Ken Williams (Sushi-X) to sign key issues when I met him at Midwest Gaming Classic. He & Trickman Terry Minich(sp?) did a keynote there one year.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Did you listen to any DOC, another guy Dre discovered? He was in an accident later on that damaged his vocal cords, & had a raspy voice thereafter.

Yeah, I remember that first DOC album. "No one can do it better" or something like that... Yeah, he definitely had a talent for it. He had a really good voice for it, and an interesting and unique flow. It's crazy that his career was cut so short by that auto accident. I'm sure he would have rather lost an arm than have his vocal cords damaged like that and his career ended prematurely...

The very late 80's and very early 90's was a great time in the world of Hip Hop music. A true Golden Era I think. The only thing is, Hip Hop kinda changed by about 1993 or so and just was never the same (imo). I really like from say 1987 to 1992 or so when it comes to classic Hip Hop.

• Like 1

The very late 80's and very early 90's was a great time in the world of Hip Hop music. A true Golden Era I think. The only thing is, Hip Hop kinda changed by about 1993 or so and just was never the same (imo). I really like from say 1987 to 1992 or so when it comes to classic Hip Hop.

Wow, Thats what I thought too & stopped listening about that time. Maybe we were separated at birth.

Yep, it was "No One Can Do It Better." Dre gave him a few speaking (not singing) parts on The Chronic. Have you heard DJ Quik? Apparently Dre discovered him too.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 14 is up....

Now... Originally Episode 14 was going to be the Super Nintendo launch episode... Unfortunately, the SNES launch episode will instead be the focus of Episode 15. I explain a bit more about this at the very beginning of Episode 14.

Topics discussed on this episode:

1. Windows 10 causing problems for the show host....

2. Remember how EGM was doing some shady stuff with their advertising inserts ? (more on that...)

3. When did Blockbuster start renting Sega Genesis games ?

4. One of my first rentals upon returning back to Sacramento.... Spider Man for the Sega Genesis

5. I re-create a Top 10 Most Wanted game list circa early August 1991 - Jibba and I discuss it...

6. I wax nostalgic on a very special issue (at least to me..) of Electronic Gaming Monthly:

egm25.jpg

7. Chris joins me again and we discuss a game I rented shortly before the arrival of the SNES. NHL Hockey by Electronic Arts...

nhl_hockey.gif

Edited by Kid Chameleon
  • Like 1