IGNORED

Pie in the sky cartridge dreams...

Omega-TI

Imagine, a PC based program with...

1) A menu to select up to 36 entries where YOU pick the menu's title names.

2) Where YOU enter the E/A program names (up to 5?) for each entry.

Once everything is entered properly, the program would do all the calculations and allow you to delete items that may exceed 512K. Once everything is ready, it would assemble a compilation file that would then be "READY-TO-BURN" for either the RED or BLUE cartridges.

Custom Cartridge Software, that even NEWB's like me could run! Since it would be so easy and straight forward to operate, the technical gurus would not be interrupted with trivial questions every time a new guy came along.

Just an idea...

Why did you pick exactly 36 entries ? :)

Alphabetical keys A-Z = 26 + 0-9 Numerical = 36

This would give maximum flexibility to those who only program the ROM chip(s). This type of program will be a necessity soon. Why? Well, have you seen all the freaking games in current development right now? It's bloody mind-boggling I tell you. :-o

I can't think of a better solution myself! Put the FIAD format images is a dedicated directory, fill in the blanks and the PC spits out an image ready-to-burn... complete with it's OWN MENU... maybe even personalized?

With a program this simple to use, even guys without burners would be able to get specialized cartridges from others, because it would not take forever to setup and burn. People could easily make the image themselves. then e-mail it to a friend with a burner... then wait a week or so for it to arrive in the mail and then plug it into their own cartridge and go.

One last thought connected with the last message...

As more and more of the 'old guard' die off, the rest of the 'non-experts' will need a way to keep things fresh and active for as long as possible. Having new tools (and documentation) will be a must. We are already a small group, while I believe there will always be casual gaming-type users, I doubt many of the current generation will want to devote the massive amount of time required to learn an obsolete platform for a rapidly shrinking user base.

1) PC based support tools are going to be more important as time goes on.

2) A Cartridge based option is going to be more important to bring in new users to the platform (lower cost = easier to take a gamble).

3) A small & cheap 32K memory expansion will need to be developed. (If it'll help get things going, I'm a +1).

• Like 1

Why did you pick exactly 36 entries ? :)

Alphabetical keys A-Z = 26 + 0-9 Numerical = 36

Okay.

Just that sometimes 36 entries does not fit nicely on one screen, and if you use numbers for individual screens, then the letters should be sufficient if you have one per line (24 lines on screen).

512K / 8K = 64 entries, if all are 8K or less. Technically one 8K can hold more than one program.

;)

Fred Kaal has made a module creator that's doing more or less what you want, but it only works for 64k carts. But it's more complicated because the e/a#5 versions of both Titanium and Road Hunter are loading from disk so in order to make a Rasmus supercart you would have to start with the cart versions and recompile them to select the right ROM banks. I will probably do this myself at some point.

• Like 3

... but it only works for 64k carts. But it's more complicated because the e/a#5 versions of both Titanium and Road Hunter are loading from disk so in order to make a Rasmus supercart you would have to start with the cart versions and recompile them to select the right ROM banks. I will probably do this myself at some point.

Yeah, I'm trying to 'standardize' with one type of cartridge so I can use the same chips on everything. Sounds great!