IGNORED

Could this be the most awful TI game ever?

Retrospect

Tried this one out and its pretty fun. Got beat with a bat first time but paid my debt 2nd time but ran out of money.

I've discovered a quirk / bug .... Should have really tested for this before releasing the game but, if you get arrested with 1 day left to pay your debt, you don't have to pay it - the game says "-2 days to repay" :grin:

I'm not sure the game's good enough to warrant fixing it. If enough people show interest I will work on it till it's perfect. Then again it IS in a shit game thread :P

This one's about the best I can get out of stock TI basic on a 16K system.

I found the need to type "CALL FILES(0)" and then "NEW" before loading it.

(That was with Classic99, I think the real iron is "CALL FILES(1)" or I might be wrong?)

In this version, if you run out of money mid-game, but already have things in your inventory, you can sell your existing items to make a little money back (at least for the taxi money)

Also, if the debt collector comes and haven't paid him, you get to survive if there's enough value to your inventory.

There's a handy little feature that shows you the amount of profit you've made with each sale.

Police won't screw you completely if they catch you and it's your 1st offence - they will take half of your cash and leave your inventory alone, however, get caught again and you're screwed.

Also added is a random event, every now and again a dealer leaves his house unlocked, and you get the option to burgle the house..... you can find money, drugs, the dealer can come back and shoot you, or the cops can come.

(EDIT)

DODGY.zip <---- Bug fixed ! ..... when caught by police on 1st offence,debts were cleared.

to fix older version, type
3440 GOSUB 2570

Previous command was gosub 2750 which ended up clearing the debt :P

Edited by Retrospect

(That was with Classic99, I think the real iron is "CALL FILES(1)" or I might be wrong?)

Tried on MESS, seems good with CALL FILES(1). At least it starts, but I'm not sure whether you're safe already.

But isn't memory pre-allocated in BASIC, i.e. when pre-scan succeeds there is no later memory allocation?

Tried on MESS, seems good with CALL FILES(1). At least it starts, but I'm not sure whether you're safe already.

But isn't memory pre-allocated in BASIC, i.e. when pre-scan succeeds there is no later memory allocation?

Well, not sure really, but the game starts and attempts to get the main screen up then tells you it's run out of memory. So the pre-scan thing must only scan literal bytes and not the added bytes that the arrays will consume?

That might be why it boots and fails because it's suddenly had it's DIM'd arrays stacked up with a few bytes more than it can chew.

Edited by Retrospect

Those do different things.

CALL FILES(0) reserves /no/ disk buffers in VDP RAM, leaving the VDP layout comparable to a system with no disk controller. This does NOT work with any of the existing disk controllers on real hardware, but Classic99 doesn't need or use disk buffers, so having memory reserved is just a compatibility thing. CALL FILES(1) is the lowest value legal with a hardware disk controller today.

• Like 1

Well, partly thanks to some of my code not exactly being byte-friendly, for the 1st time, I've almost filled TI Basic. That takes patience. :)

I found myself playing the game whilst on the train using my Acer Chromebook and JS99er .... During the journey, I found myself tutting at the ponderous speed of the scrolling text. Then I chuckled at the thought that someone in 1982 would have happily paid £4.95 for this on cassette. I would. I love dopewars. If it wasn't for the drug involvement it would actually be a very good educational programme for children, what with all the working out what item will give us a higher profit and all.

So I'm gonna make it again, for either xb256 or rxb, they both give 32 golumn display printing, and are guaranteed to run faster. I would compile this game, but there's not enough floating point to hit the numbers we need, it's not a problem though. :)

EDIT:

Psst. ... any turboforth guys out there interesting in doing a port of this? That would be insanely great.

Edited by Retrospect

There were a few TI titles that were of the more or less "R" rated category. One mangling of a nice Alien Landing game that showed up in one of the German TI magazines changed all of the graphics and renamed the game Penis Shooting. The Alien Landing game was the one in the magazine--not the later "R" variant of it. The person who did the modification also failed to reference the original program or its author, which was definitely not nice, as about 90 percent of the program was unchanged (everything except the graphics and the title screen).

• Like 1

Sometimes99er is bang on the nail, but there's really only one exception in my mind, that would be a bit shitty, take for example, if I had taken Tursi's Stranger game, redone all the graphics, added a font, and released it as my own, with no reference or acknowledgement to Tursi? .... Quite rightly, Tursi's velvet tones would turn harsh and he would probably lose his shit.

That kind of thing is where it's not a matter of copyright it's a matter of not wanting to stamp on people's toes, but I have never once witnessed anyone ever doing that here ... I think we're all too polite and respectful. :)

But i WILL one day make a Dealer game and outrightly call it DOPEWARS because nobody else seems to be doing it for the TI, the original writer certainly won't, and so I will..... :P

Apparently I spew some fire in those cases.

Copyright law is pretty straight forward. If you didn't create it, and you don't have permission, you aren't allowed under that law to reproduce or redistribute that work or reasonably derived works. It really is that simple on paper. Retrospect's modification and distribution of Stranger before asking me for permission was a violation of that law, and a pretty easy one -- credit notwithstanding -- especially because the distribution he admitted getting it from reinforces in the documentation that the title is still under copyright.

What's not so clear is that it's not criminal law (well, for the sake of argument we'll ignore how things are changing), it's civil law, so whether it's a /problem/ depends on the copyright holder. I had no problem with what he did - in fact I thought it was pretty cool. So I didn't sue. That's all the law gives the right to do - to easily sue with high probability of success.

There's another angle that's often confused, and that's /trademark/ law. Creating a new Star Wars inspired game isn't a copyright violation if you don't use an existing work -- copyright is only for works. But the characters, names, places, symbols, recognizable ships, and so on, are /trademarks/. Trademark is also a civil law and it's a little more complicated, but the most basic level says that the trademark owners HAVE to defend their trademarks, or there is a risk of losing them. So these cases used to be attacked more earnestly. There's a tendency these days to turn a blind eye for as long as they can reasonably claim not to have known, to allow fans to do their thing, but of course there's no ingrained right there.

Because most copyrighted works contain large numbers of trademarked items, the two are often so tightly interleaved that they can't easily be separated.

From my point of view, there's no harm in KNOWING what's going on and still choosing to create a fan work. You don't have to lie to yourself about your right to do it -- by law you don't have one. The odds are you don't need to worry about it as long as you aren't treading on the toes of the owners. But if they do speak up, at least knowing in advance lets you be prepared. ;)

Edited by Tursi

FOLLOWME.zip

"Follow Me" is a game derived from the "Simon" type game. At first I didn't have a clue how to store the information the game needs for the notes, and have the player enter the notes accordingly. Then I remembered the CALL GCHAR command.

It cleverly prints out a string at the bottom of the screen in black characters (black screen), it's length depends on the game level you select.

Then the GCHAR command comes into it and scans the row it's printed. A variable increments in value from 1 to 8 , or 1 to 15, and each time it goes back to 1, but climbs to the newly incremented variable. Try it, it's quite fun. Speech synthesis is included for those who like it. JS99er does quite well in this department.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 2