IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

On 11/23/2021 at 5:25 AM, Atariboy said:

Been over a week and I see they still don't show as ready to install. Will be a pleasant surprise if this eventually gets resolved, but as of now, I don't think it will be fixed. Cloning Clyde as well as Quake III (Your friend isn't alone, Austin) are two others I've seen reported as doing the same thing. I suspect it's afflicting everyone that bought these particular games from the Xbox 360 store that is now trying to access that content on their newer Xbox hardware.

Tempted to just rebuy Time Pilot since it's one I revisit quite often and it's only $5, but it works on my Xbox 360's and I don't want to risk two purchases of the same 360 game on the same account somehow breaking it entirely.

I see complaints as well with the latest Games With Gold freebie. I believe it's Lego Batman 2 for the Xbox 360 which can be correctly redeemed on a Xbox One or Series console. But apparently over on an actual 360, people are incorrectly receiving Lego Batman 1. And where as a backwards compatible 360 purchase is supposed to unlock the game across all 360/XB1/Series systems, people that acquired Lego Batman 1 this month on their 360 can't then download it on their newer Xbox systems. Nor can people that grabbed Lego Batman 2 on their XB1/Series system proceed to download it to their 360.

Seems Microsoft is all but forgetting about paying attention to the 360 storefront or actually seeing to it that BC Xbox 360 purchase licenses are correctly integrated across storefronts. 

i had the same issue with time pilot.

just contact the microsoft support.

they'll probably give you a refund if you give them proof of purchase.

later

I bought Time Pilot the day I bought my first Xbox 360 on Black Friday in 2006 a year or so after launch. So needless to say those e-mail receipts are long gone. 

My annoyance isn't really about the money since they're both $5 games (I'd much rather pay that than bother calling support and going through the routine of things like recovering my gamertag that obviously won't fix the problem). Rather, my annoyance is because it's an issue in the first place. They're legitimately purchased games and the purchase licenses are still in their system since they're both correctly identified as being owned on both my Xbox 360 systems and on the legacy Xbox 360 storefront web page for each game. Yet for whatever reason they've screwed up here and the Xbox One and Series systems storefront as well as the corresponding web page are failing to recognizing valid ownership.

At least it's a trivial issue in this case and that both of my "lost" games aren't expensive to reacquire. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I bought Time Pilot the day I bought my first Xbox 360 on Black Friday in 2006 a year or so after launch. So needless to say those e-mail receipts are long gone. 

My annoyance isn't really about the money since they're both $5 games (I'd much rather pay that than bother calling support and going through the routine of things like recovering my gamertag that obviously won't fix the problem). Rather, my annoyance is because it's an issue in the first place. They're legitimately purchased games and the purchase licenses are still in their system since they're both correctly identified as being owned on both my Xbox 360 systems and on the legacy Xbox 360 storefront web page for each game. Yet for whatever reason they've screwed up here and the Xbox One and Series systems storefront as well as the corresponding web page are failing to recognizing valid ownership.

At least it's a trivial issue in this case and that both of my "lost" games aren't expensive to reacquire. 

if you go to xbox.com and look at your account. they have purchases listed there.

now if you bought xbox points, and bought games with that, then they wouldn't be listed.

but all the other purchases show up there.

later

I've only ever used prepaid cards, preferring not to keep my card information linked to my account. But like I said earlier, the purchases are actually in their system. They're just not being correctly recognized by the Xbox One/Series X/Series S storefront, which is separate from the Xbox 360 storefront.

It's supposed to work where when a Xbox 360 game in your digital collection is made backwards compatible, the corresponding license in the 360 store is shared with the newer storefront to enable that storefront to recognize your ownership of the game. And the system works in reverse as well where a BC 360 purchase on the XB1/Series systems storefront is supposed to be shared with the Xbox 360 storefront (Some folks are having troubles in that area as well on their Xbox 360's, with purchases of some of these new additions to the Xbox store only being recognized on their newer Xbox hardware).

This is the game listing on the Xbox 360 store for Time Pilot. My purchase is correctly recognized there, as is also the case on my Xbox 360's. But when I go to the Xbox One/Series systems storefront page for Time Pilot here, it's not recognized (Nor is it recognized on my XB1, of course). Some people's licenses were somehow not correctly transferred by their system when many of this latest batch of additions were made backwards compatible.

So it's not really a matter of proving ownership since the proof is in their system. It just hasn't been shared with the newer storefront like is supposed to happen.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Zeptari1 said:

Darn! I bought this on the 360 and they wanna charge me $5 again. This is the first time one of my digital 360 purchases just didn't transfer over! That stinks!?

I just checked my library and It must’ve downloaded some point, Time Pilot is now on my Xbox Series X!

Edited by Zeptari1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:55 AM, Zeptari1 said:

I just checked my library and It must’ve downloaded some point, Time Pilot is now on my Xbox Series X!

Mine wasn't either. So I just rebought it.

There are no leaderboards, and you can't use the DVR feature on it either, like other konami games (like gyruss, frogger, etc) 

oh well.

later

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To my surprise Scramble is now correctly showing as ready to install on my Xbox One. That wasn't the case the last time I had my system fired up back in I think February.

I'm unsure if my other problematic game (Time Pilot) was fixed since I had already rebought it back in January.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

It has BC with some original Xbox games as well.

I went to a friend's house today to see how Panzer Dragoon Orta would look since it has Xbox One X enhancements. The gameplay was in widescreen and looked SO crisp, even if the FMVs were still crusty. [of course they would be though]

Best part is the console straight up ripped it from the disk so now he can play Orta whenever he wants without my disk. Share the love!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 7:37 PM, Astro Rabby said:

Best part is the console straight up ripped it from the disk so now he can play Orta whenever he wants without my disk. Share the love!

If you installed it with the original disc, then it still requires the disc in his drive in order to play it. Also, technically I think it downloads it straight from Microsoft and is not actually ripped from the disc itself.

To play it without the disc, he can buy it from the Xbox store for $10 or so.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 9:20 AM, Austin said:

If you installed it with the original disc, then it still requires the disc in his drive in order to play it. Also, technically I think it downloads it straight from Microsoft and is not actually ripped from the disc itself.

Yup, I have Orta OG disc myself and confirm. It requires the disc in and it downloads the game from the cloud (honestly I have not tried installing it while not connected).

On 12/27/2023 at 11:20 AM, Austin said:

Yes, I personally find it worth the $10 to just have the downloaded game for PD:O, Star Wars Battlefront II, SW: KOTOR, etc even though I have the original games.  Easier to select, less wear on the disc drive and discs, etc.