IGNORED

XBox One backwards compatibilty

Master Phruby

From what I'm hearing, the actual quality of the games when played on the One is terrible. Poor framerate, graphical glitches,etc. Am I wrong on this?

Not that I've experienced, although I obviously haven't played all the BC games on the Xbox One. I've played maybe a dozen at this point and have had no notable issues that I can recall. It plays like I'm on a 360.

Not that I've experienced, although I obviously haven't played all the BC games on the Xbox One. I've played maybe a dozen at this point and have had no notable issues that I can recall. It plays like I'm on a 360.

Okay, then I stand corrected.

Almost none of the games in my 360 library are available though, aside from the Gears of War series, and maybe Tomb Raider. Yeah, I have alot of Japanese shmups that I don't expect to get support, but it's not like my gaming tastes are so eclectic that everything should be excluded. I mean, Midway Arcade Origins? Namco museum? Williams Pinball? The Simpsons Game? The Bioshock games weren't even ready last time I checked. There's no sugar coating this, they've handled this about as well as original Xbox BC on the 360 was handled.

Almost none of the games in my 360 library are available though, aside from the Gears of War series, and maybe Tomb Raider. Yeah, I have alot of Japanese shmups that I don't expect to get support, but it's not like my gaming tastes are so eclectic that everything should be excluded. I mean, Midway Arcade Origins? Namco museum? Williams Pinball? The Simpsons Game? The Bioshock games weren't even ready last time I checked. There's no sugar coating this, they've handled this about as well as original Xbox BC on the 360 was handled.

My guess, and that's admittedly all that is, is that a lot of the ones you mention are due to the original publishers for those games not allowing them to be BC. I mean, 2K released the Bioshock Collection just this past month. There's no way 2K was going to allow BC when they are trying to sell an HD Remaster of the same games. I have all the Bioshocks too and would love for them to be BC, but I don't think it's in the cards and I doubt it has to do with technical issues or at least not only technical issues.

I don't know, I'm trying to think of what games I have that are BC and I can think of at least 10+ that I'm really appreciative that are, with everything from Pac-Man Championship Edition/DX, Galaga Legions and Plants vs Zombies to XCom, the Halos, Fables and Mass Effects. I also have a lot of games that aren't BC that I'd like to be because I still have them in my backlog, like Bulletstorm (HD remaster announced so I doubt that will ever be BC), Dishonored, Sonic Generations, and a host of other ones. But especially for my 360 games that I have digitally, I appreciate not having to switch consoles when I want to play those games. Not a huge deal either way, but it's a little nicety.

• Like 1

From what I'm hearing, the actual quality of the games when played on the One is terrible. Poor framerate, graphical glitches,etc. Am I wrong on this?

Microsoft made improvements a few months ago that pretty much eliminated BC performance issues entirely. Even the problems with Halo Reach were resolved. In many cases the games actually run better than they did on 360. They have also been releasing games at a steady clip. In r/xboxone on Reddit a thread is made every time and there's at least one a week with multiple games added each time. I'm not really getting the complaints. I thought BC on 360 was a total sham and I expected this to be a repeat of the last time. It isn't. IMO they are kicking ass and I have a ton of 360 games on my Xbox One.

• Like 2

The XBLA side of Namco Museum is pretty much all compatible. And Midway relisted Joust a while back and made it BC, so I'm optimistic that the rest of their XBLA lineup and Midway Arcade Origins will follow in due course.

Sadly, I don't see much hope for Pinball Hall of Fame, but they did put the PS2 version of The Gottlieb Collection onto the Playstation Store for the PS3 over a year after they launched Pinball Arcade on the platform, so there's some precedent I suppose for such a move.

Edited by Atariboy

Am I wrong on this?

In most cases, yes. There are some exceptions though that apparently have framerate issues. Everything I have tried has been fine.

Something of note, supposedly there's an improvement in backwards compatibility performance for Xbox One S users. Microsoft has stated that they will be compatible on Scorpio as well, so it's likely they will get another performance boost there.

*edit: according to Hyper_Eye above, whatever issues there were have been fixed. Good to know.

There's no sugar coating this, they've handled this about as well as original Xbox BC on the 360 was handled.

That's BS. There's nearly 300 games compatible and the service has only been available for a year. Microsoft isn't going to be slowing down on the additions any time soon either from what they make it sound like.

As it's been stated previously, they are adding games on a weekly basis, often times on Thursday or Friday (the latest additions were yesterday). Sometimes they are doing this multiple times a week.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

From what I have read, the bioshock games are soon to be added. I already have the HD remakes as I only finished the first one way back, but for those that all ready have all three for the 360, that would be welcome.

At first, nothing was recognized on that Namco Museum disc, but slowly more and more is. I think Atariboy is right though.. .it is only the games that were also available on XBLA. I don't expect the rest.

For those that have it, the Genesis collection would be a nice addition.

No, only Halo Reach is backwards compatible for the first person shooter entries in the Halo franchise (For non-FPS entries, Spartan Assault and Halo Wars are both BC).

You have to buy the Halo collection for the others, which is where ODST can be played on the Xbox One by buying that as a DLC add-on.

Edited by Atariboy

No, only Halo Reach is backwards compatible for the first person shooter entries in the Halo franchise (For non-FPS entries, Spartan Assault and Halo Wars are both BC).

You have to buy the Halo collection for the others, which is where ODST can be played on the Xbox One by buying that as a DLC add-on.

Interesting. So ODST is being held back due to financial reasons. Bummer. Not problem there asi stil have my 360 in the back hooked up. Doesn' really get played much any more.

And I stand corrected....all the Bioshocks just went live on BC today! Kudos to 2K for allowing this to happen and to Microsoft for making this happen!

NICE! I have the first one and Infinite, and now I can actually play them! My original 360 RROD'ed and it's replacement has issues too, so it will be nice to be able to play these on my XB1.

News Flash: to celebrate over 300 BC titles, Microsoft is giving away Lost Oddessy for free until December 31st. This is a GREAT game IMO, so I'd definitely recommend picking it up. Even if you already have it on disc, pick it up digitally!

And you do not have to have a gold account to get the game for free. Silver accounts are eligible as well.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Lost-Odyssey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307fa

• Like 3

So if the One is actually doing a good job with 360 games, is it that unreasonable to ask for original xbox games to be put on the BC list?

They didn't rule it out, but I don't think it's likely. Unlike the 360 stuff, original Xbox stuff is not being sold anymore and is not available digitally. They could in theory run the Xbox emulator within their 360 emulator on the Xbox One, but I doubt the performance would be there.

There's technically still some Xbox Originals listed on the 360 marketplace, I believe. But the gist of what you said is certainly correct.

I've said this before, but perhaps 20% of the emulated original Xbox titles on the 360 ran without significant issues. So I don't see the 360's emulator ever coming to the XB1 when you're left with 10% of the system's library that was 360 compatible and would have the potential to run well (Only 50% of the library ever joined the BC list).

Since it shouldn't be necessary to recompile titles, the potential for direct disc playback is there. So as long as Microsoft thought that the positive press justified what from reports would be rather trivial compatibility to implement (Particularly by comparison to what is going on to make 360 compatibility possible), I could see it happening even if original Xbox content doesn't have a large scale presence on their digital store.

The bigger question to me is how far would they take it. I don't expect nonsense like expecting original Xbox titles to suddenly be online again on the original Xbox and 360, but perhaps something could be done for a handful of titles to get them working online on the Xbox One (Unlikely when the original Xbox Live's killer app is available in remastered form on the XB1). Or high definition rendering, which would certainly be welcome and is something that Sony is doing with their PS2 era content.

And hopefully at least some of the 1st party patches and DLC could be made available on the Xbox One if they did this.

Edited by Atariboy

There's technically still some Xbox Originals listed on the 360 marketplace, I believe. But the gist of what you said is certainly correct.

I've said this before, but perhaps 20% of the emulated original Xbox titles on the 360 ran without significant issues. So I don't see the 360's emulator ever coming to the XB1 when you're left with 10% of the system's library that was 360 compatible and would have the potential to run well (Only 50% of the library ever joined the BC list).

Since it shouldn't be necessary to recompile titles, the potential for direct disc playback is there. So as long as Microsoft thought that the positive press justified what from reports would be rather trivial compatibility to implement (Particularly by comparison to what is going on to make 360 compatibility possible), I could see it happening even if original Xbox content doesn't have a large scale presence on their digital store.

The bigger question to me is how far would they take it. I don't expect nonsense like expecting original Xbox titles to suddenly be online again on the original Xbox and 360, but perhaps something could be done for a handful of titles to get them working online on the Xbox One (Unlikely when the original Xbox Live's killer app is available in remastered form on the XB1). Or high definition rendering, which would certainly be welcome and is something that Sony is doing with their PS2 era content.

And hopefully at least some of the 1st party patches and DLC could be made available on the Xbox One if they did this.

Yeah, I figured if it was worth doing, it'd have been done by now. On top of all that, the original xbox games I care about are largely offbeat titles, so unless the One just got some generic emulator, I'd still probably be out of luck.

Been using the Xbox one almost exclusively the past few months mainly because of BC I haven't been gaming much due to some health issues but from what I tried It's pretty flawless. Was floored to see oblivion, I'm also hoping for more arcade stuff. I also picked up the gears X1S model..... very cool looking

• Like 2