IGNORED

Star Raiders II for C-64!

SoundGammon

As it happens the C64 version was even worse, utterly bland...

Why some idiot tried to brand the game as Star Raiders II when it was The Last Star Fighter game from the film still amazes me.....Almost all of us saw the prototype rom in the day which was The Last Starfighter and as a game based on the film it was actually not bad but to make it a Star Raiders follow up was just wrong...

To this day I still refuse to play the Star Raiders version of the rom..

• Like 2

I've barely touched SR2 but The Last StarFighter was lacking in gameplay balance. Easy level too much so and level 3 was probably a bit too hard.

Plus I've mentioned before the ability to free orbit in TLSF means killing enemy planets is too easy.

But I can't comment on if I think SR2 fixed the balance issues. I would generally just play TLSF because I also think it's what the game should have remained as.

Maybe a good mod would be to take SR2 and turn it back into TLSF.

Edited by Rybags

I really don't think they did any changes bar the text and title, they even left the music from the last starfighter..

Its simply a desperate act to try and capitalise on the success of Star Raiders with a game that is still clearly based on The Last Starfighter..Even the sprites remain unchanged. Its a shame as if you look at the films credits you see that ATARI played a big part in its production.

Sad really as I think it would have done better business if it had been released as what it really was. I still enjoy a watch of the film, great CG for the time, it and TRON still do it for me..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I love star raiders 2.... Give it a chance... The last star fighter is not as good...

Are they not almost exactly the same?

Not played it in a while...

Not saying it was a bad game but it had such a reputation to try and live up to.

But could it beat Centron 3D :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Its simply a desperate act to try and capitalise on the success of Star Raiders with a game that is still clearly based on The Last Starfighter..Even the sprites remain unchanged. Its a shame as if you look at the films credits you see that ATARI played a big part in its production.

If you listen to #89 of the Antic Podcast, it mentions it on there if you haven't heard it already.

I really don't think they did any changes bar the text and title, they even left the music from the last starfighter..

Not fully correct,

read this: http://www.atarihq.com/atcomp/lastsr2.html

I have both games on cart. and I must say, that I play SR2 more often than TLSF. Alas, while level 1 and 2 are playable and winable in SR2, level 3 is much too hard - and there are only 3 levels of play...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

If you listen to #89 of the Antic Podcast, it mentions it on there if you haven't heard it already.

Not heard many of the podcasts, my attention span starts slipping but now I know about this one I'll have a listen..

Cheers, slap one on the barbi :)

And don't forget to have a tinny...

They will have you wearing the hat with corks on in no time :)

Just listened to the podcast, I'm pretty sure he meant Superman III for the graphics but it really seems there was very little changed in the cross over to SR2 and by the sound of it they were not really bothered about doing any real changes so to hit the Star Raiders style. Mind you, I can't blame them, the whole story just sounds like he was left disillusioned with the Atari process and being offered a small amount to make the changes must have been a slap in the face.

Still, its out and we have it and I'll bet they slipped out the game after Atari just fell apart as a kind of revenge but I might be wrong...

Not heard many of the podcasts, my attention span starts slipping but now I know about this one I'll have a listen..

Cheers, slap one on the barbi :)

And don't forget to have a tinny...

They will have you wearing the hat with corks on in no time :)

I've got a barbi, I enjoy a tinny but I am yet to see a hat with corks on. I will make one.

Sent from my Ultra using Tapatalk