IGNORED

Video issue on Atari 2600 6 switch

dyter19

Recently bought an atari 2600 with six switches and have a warranty that it works but no switch box came with it, when i try to use a rca to coax cable from radioshack and plug into my crt tv i get a black version of snowy image with occasional line running from bottom to top, regardless of the game i put into the 2600. This happens only on channel 2 regardless to the channel switch on the console, I had to open the top to get inside to move the channel switch, used a new rca cord in place of the old one with the same result as well. from looking at other threads on the site i have not seen anyone say that the rca to coax has not worked fro their atari. Is mine broken or do i need a switch box. If it is broken any ideas on what needs fixed as i know its at least partially working as when it is off channel 2 has normal snow and when its on i get that black snow with that line. In advance thank you for any help on my issue.

First off, I would put back the original cable since neither cable worked - but first, the end that plugs into the RF converter inside the console should have a shorter lead on it than the end that goes into the switch box/rca to coax. I recall when I tried to replace the coax on mine, the new coax wouldn't even fit inside the console because the lead was too long.

After that, check out the TV just to make sure it's not the TV coax input that's faulty. Try plugging something else in there - either another console, or a VCR or something like that, just to make sure it works.

If the TV coax input is working, I would say the console is not working. I am not so technically inclined as to be able to assist with repairs but there are others here who can help you with that or point you in the right direction.

Good luck!!

yeah i set the tv to find all channels with the atari plugged in and powered on, it searched about 120 channels and none had video some of them did also seem to have black snowy image as well, at least when its cycling through about a channel a second. i have an rf interference piece coming from amazon on sunday and hopefully that will solve the issue. probably doesn't matter but its a 27 in sony wega flat screen crt tv that I'm using with the atari. also tried using a working vcr with the coax and composite cords with out any success.

yeah i set the tv to find all channels with the atari plugged in and powered on, it searched about 120 channels and none had video some of them did also seem to have black snowy image as well, at least when its cycling through about a channel a second. i have an rf interference piece coming from amazon on sunday and hopefully that will solve the issue. probably doesn't matter but its a 27 in sony wega flat screen crt tv that I'm using with the atari. also tried using a working vcr with the coax and composite cords with out any success.

Make sure your Trinitron isn't set for Digital channels. Go into your menu and make sure it is set for analog.

Edit:

I just got a Trinitron myself a couple of weeks ago. I found the manual online, I'm attaching it in case you don't have it.

Sony Trinitron WEGA KD-32FS170.pdf