IGNORED

PAL Demos In Color on 1702

Paul Westphal

So I built a NTSC 800xl with ultimate 1mb and stereo to run sweet euro demos. Some of the really good demos require both pal GTIA and ANTIC. Check. I left the NTSC Crystal in, and it looked like crap on my multi region LCD - runs in NTSC 3.58. So I tried it on a commodore 1702 and behold! It runs in color. Just have to adjust the horizontal. Normally pal won't run on a 1702 in color, but with this config it will. I just thought I would pass this on.

• Like 1

Cool. I'm guessing that they will if demos like Cyberpunk that check for a PAL GTIA will run correctly.

The reason I ask is that I've got a machine with a PAL ANTIC (but still has NTSC GTIA) that will run most Euro stuff fine, but games that do a $D014 check for PAL still see an NTSC machine and adjust themselves incorrectly. I didn't swap the GTIA because I thought the color signal would be wrong, but you've disproven that... Exciting stuff. I'm going to order a PAL GTIA and try this myself.

Now if only I could come up with a way to implement a switchable dual-ANTIC Atari.. But that's another topic.

Edited by adam242

Well, I'm pretty seriously bummed... My chips arrived today (thanks, Best!) and I attempted this tonight.

Didn't work in either the 800 or 1200XL I tried. Both booted up to a monochrome screen. Yes, I'm using a 1702. I tried with both the composite and Y/C inputs with both machines.

For the hell of it, I also tried them in my 800XL, just because that's what Paul initially made this work in... that machine must have died on the shelf, because it didn't do anything... still dead after swapping the NTSC chips back in. I thought about trying a 600XL, but I just quit while I was behind.

I'd REALLY like to get this to work in my Incognito 800... any hardware gurus have any thoughts?

Played around with this a little tonight on my 1200XL... If I bridge pins 16 and 28 (PAL and OSC inputs) on the PAL GTIA, I can get a color picture, it's just not right... the light blue boot-up screen has weird purple lines in it. It's hard to describe... I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Paul, are the colors correct on your modified 800XL? That is, does it look the same as it did with the NTSC chips?

I wonder if those pins are already connected on the 800XL - maybe that's why it didn't initially work on my 800 or 1200XL.

Okay, I tried this same deal (PAL GTIA with pins 16 and 28 bridged) in my Incognito 800 today, with mixed results:

Memo Pad looks atrocious - purple screen with exaggerated scanlines:

post-19239-0-42057700-1447452038_thumb.jpg

PAL-only demo Cyberpunk and game Little Princess now run, but colors are wrong / look terrible:

post-19239-0-51138500-1447452027_thumb.jpgpost-19239-0-93414100-1447452032_thumb.jpg

River Raid colors are wrong, exaggerated scanlines:

post-19239-0-41275900-1447452045_thumb.jpg

Yoomp! and Pac-Man arcade now detect PAL and play at correct speed, but look bad and glitch badly:

post-19239-0-86095500-1447452646_thumb.jpg

I guess I could see using this occasionally to run demos at an event, but for a daily-use machine it's unacceptable to me. I'm going to go back to my hybrid PAL ANTIC / NTSC GTIA setup and just deal with the minor incompatibility issues. Most PAL stuff works fine that way, and the display is far better.

Not knocking you, Paul.. I appreciate the tip. It just doesn't work for me.