IGNORED

POKEY'S 15kHz

emkay

I'm curious why you don't work with dual POKEY's? Maybe you're trying to see the max you can get out of a stock setup?

If you want to show what POKEY in the stock A8 could do, how useful is it to use several of them?

And, well , a third version with reduced arpeggios, some corrections and so on.

To explain, why this stuff is hard to create with RMT is to understand, if people know how POKEY creates the waves.

If you have a simple filter slide of approx. 3 seconds, can take hours to get adjusted.

If you don't have the possiblility to reset the wave offset everytime, when needed, you have to use the - at that moment - available offset. Played in a short row of patterns, you get an always similar offset, but, if you do a simple short loop, the offset changes, which makes the resulting sound different....

If you want to show what POKEY in the stock A8 could do, how useful is it to use several of them?

Alright, I assumed that's the case and I can appreciate it as a goal. Tough goal without the right software or hand coding to enable it -- but then those are old points in the dialogue.

I'm sure this version 3 tune can be far better, even when using RMT.

- Most of the notes are in the wrong key, so no really 'out of tune', just rescaling needed

- Still: use RMT patch 8 to remove 'out of tune' distortion 2 and 12 at 1.79 MHz mode for high notes

This is needed to correct the 'in tune' arpeggios. But the instrument sounds still get more and more interesting for this stage 3.

Like I wrote already: I don't like this tune, mainly because it's more than 4 minutes. I'd like to take part for a new tune, but only 50 seconds at max. I don't have much time. So, again, let's find another SID or MOD tune to make a new try.

Where's the problem with "out of key" exactly?

Giving up "waiting for a better POKEY Tracker", I have no problem to see that as "POKEY style" at 15kHz.

The arpeggios still could get better , if the notes were more clear and the manipulations more similar to the original.

Really, keep in mind : The tune uses 15kHz . Have a look around , find something better. THERE IS NONE. And you find tunes that were more "out of tune" using 64kHz...

Like I wrote already: I don't like this tune, mainly because it's more than 4 minutes

Things, you don't like to develop, you see more from a neutral point, so the result will be more without pink glasses :)

RMT patch 8 could be a source for another thread. The arpeggios would really benefit using quick changes 15kHz/1.79MHz in tone precision.

But what is the precision there? as that voice uses distorted waves and fast pitch changes aswell. The original tune is not really in tune and compensates that with the spreaded noise.

Using the "timing and offset" programming would make it relatively easy to adjust the tune to a "most perfect" 3rd voice then.

Edited by emkay

I changed my mind. The Original C64 tune sounds great. Here listen part 1:

I'd like to have a try to start from the ground, doing my version. The MOD version on post 9 here, ported to RMT, sounds different. It was a global rescaling at least.

@ emkay

I don't get how you got different effects w.r.t. each instrument, talking about rescaling. If f.e. voice 1 and voice 2 got a different rescale w.r.t. each other, then it gets automatically dissonant. This is what I mean: it gets out of tune w.r.t. each other. Removing all the rescaling, then it won't be out of tune.

Nice to hear some progress. Also the chromatic scale has a far better approximation in case of the arpeggios. Now I heard that only the arpeggio notes must be corrected. And still all kinds of correct rescale is needed.

@Analmux

What is exactly instrument "4" now in RMT P8 ?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235449-rmt-128-patch-8-programming

It says that RMT distortion 4 is used for PoKey plain distortion 10, but at 1.79 MHz in both voice 1 and 3 to generate sawtooth or triangle. This scale is a bit restricted. More should be possible if the RMT tables was larger, but also the sawtooth / triangle table gets less quality.

Edited by analmux

It says that RMT distortion 4 is used for PoKey plain distortion 10, but at 1.79 MHz in both voice 1 and 3 to generate sawtooth or triangle.

Thanks for the explanation. The question is, why it also is useful in 15kHz mode with high notes, making it able to play tuned sounds while the "A" scale hits through the notes like a lightning through the forest.

If you have a closer look at instrument "9" , it builds a very good bridge between the start and the main "refrain". Well, it sounds a bit "nervous" , but it works better than every try of using the "A" table.

Instrument "9" is that with pitch down at the end. It even resembles some places from the original... with that "pitch down". That's what makes me wonder.

It gets better n better. one day .... maybe .... we will have a great ocean loader tune on lil atari. ;)

btw: have found one cool nerdcore remix, years ago.

it's a cool mixing of instant remedy remixed ocean loader version and the vocals of mc chris's Falynn.

I really like it. :grin:

Edited by MARIO130XE