IGNORED

Is WII Classic?

I am talking about original 2006 wii and not U. Is it modern or classic? I went to target today not for games. Just to see what they had. I passed by the games section and they had just dance 2015 for sale. It was for original wii and not U. And they also had some cheap games. And surprisingly even some 45-50 dolalr games. Even original mario kart for wii was still 45 dollars.

Anyhow since games are still made like 2015 just dance does that mean its still modern and not classic even though its almost 9 years old? Or does it go under classic section here now? And if not then when? After the new system comes out to replace wii U as long as its not called wiiU-2?

Tough to say, I'd guess it's venturing into classic territory, especially since it was old tech when it first game out. At around 15 years after the release of a console is about when I start considering it retro, though who knows when the Xbox 360 or PS3 will be considered classic because the current gen games are basically the same.

Others think retro stopped at the PS1 era because after that everything got so advanced, and there's merit to that for sure. To me, PS2 is the last retro console because the games still kinda look like polygon shit on it. 360 on, there's no excuse, but the Wii does fit into the PS2 style of graphics, albeit slightly better.

Classic or what you don't call classic, I am really stumped at finding any notable games that people are going to "collect" in the future. "The Black Eyed Peas" experience? Nope. It just might be fodder for some future AVGN 20+years from now for some cuss-laden videos.

• Like 1

I don't consider it classic- it's 'last gen'. I think we need one more generation before it's classic.

I tend to think of gaming generations as paired sets... so mentally I lump together pong consoles and atari/Intellivison, NES and SNES, etc. Wii and wii U are part of the same set, making up the current modern nintendo block.

• Like 1

But if its discontinued and you can't buy it anymore then its classic. Original nintendo is classic because you can't walk into a toysrus or walmart and buy the games anymore. Modern is current. Current as in goto bestbuy and get a xbox 1 or wii u or ps4. And pickup a few games. Discontinued is obsolete therefore classic.

I think the WiiU is a classic. The old PS4 model too. The one with gloss plastic over the HD cover. The new current model has also physical Buttons. Since I'm only a Classic collector I already ordered my PS4 Classic.

The xbox 360 is still in production, but The Classic fat and the Classic Slim are super awesome oldschool console.

And don't Forget the Nintendo 3DS! With the New 3DS out, the old 3DS is a total classic, and the System I've been playing the most.

Great Topic.

• Like 1

But if its discontinued and you can't buy it anymore then its classic. Original nintendo is classic because you can't walk into a toysrus or walmart and buy the games anymore. Modern is current. Current as in goto bestbuy and get a xbox 1 or wii u or ps4. And pickup a few games. Discontinued is obsolete therefore classic.

If you've already decided what's classic or not, why did you need to start the thread asking? Even by your standards the Wii is not classic - I can easily buy new games for the Wii at a variety of department stores. Something becomes classic only after it's been out of the mainstream for a while at the VERY least. Personally I tend to draw the line more or less at the cartridge line for what's classic and what's not, but that's just my own guideline. (And I'd throw CD attachments to cartridge systems still part of the cartridge system and thus classic. ;)) Others disagree, that's perfectly fine. Then again there's a gulf between my "classic" and "modern". Give me another 10-15 years and I'll move the line up to "everything before DLC turned it all to shit."

• Like 1

Absolutley not. The Wii is not even 10 years old yet. Give it over 5 more years and it will be considered retro in my standards which Is anything 15 years and older. PS2 is now considered retro in my opinion and soon the Xbox and Game Cube will fall into that category. I would consider Classic to be anything made from 1986 and earlier (30 years plus). The Wii is still modern and they still sell games for it.

But you CAN go into major chains and get Wii games. I was just at Target 2 days ago wondering why they still wanted $50 for Fortune Street on the Wii (the used copy at the nearest Gamestop didn't have a manual.)

I tend to consider something 'classic' when Gamestop quits taking trade-ins and liquidates their inventory. Whether you like them or not, they're the biggest name in mainstream gaming retail in the US. If they can't turn a big enough profit to keep carrying a system, it's officially gone to the classic niche. of course, now that they're doing the 'retro classics' thing, I may have to revise that distinction.

At least here in Germany you can still go to Mediamarkt and get PS2 games still. What a beastly console.

Let's just be sincere. There is a gray line separating classic and modern gaming. I don't know where it is, but it's not even near the Nintendo Wii. If you're convinced it is, good for you man. No one in their right minds will agree with you though, no matter what argument you come up with.

Let's just be sincere. There is a gray line separating classic and modern gaming. I don't know where it is, but it's not even near the Nintendo Wii. If you're convinced it is, good for you man. No one in their right minds will agree with you though, no matter what argument you come up with.

IMO, "classic" gaming is whatever you were playing when you were 12 years old. I'll never consider PS2/XBox/GC to be classic consoles whereas someone far younger than I am will grow up to consider those systems the "good old days" of gaming.

I'll just throw it out there ok. A VW Beetle isn't a Retro car. It's an old car. The NEW Beetle is a Retro car. Shovel Knight is a Retro game. Contra is an old game. Or a classic game.

But as I said. I don't know, and don't really care to know where the line should be drawn. There is no Consensus as to exactly when System become classics. But last gen, consoles still being supported with games being printed aren't classic. You won't find more than a couple of People who would agree with that.