IGNORED

IntyBASIC source code released

nanochess

Wow, man. That is just super cool of you. I wish I had the ability to contribute back, but I can barely understand what half of this does.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of IntyBASIC releases - it's just starting to get really, really good!

I'd be surprised if it did. If anything, it'll enable the curious to poke around and suggest improvements. I may have had a peek before it became public, and I was able to offer a few tweaks just from that. It didn't slow nanochess down; if anything it egged him on. :D

As I recall, nanochess used the Dragon Book as a primary reference when implementing IntyBASIC. I can definitely recommend the Dragon Book as an approachable resource if you want to learn the basics of compiler technology. I have a copy of the "Red Dragon Book" (the 1986 edition). I haven't actually looked at the "Purple Dragon Book," but I imagine it's a superset.

(And if anyone actually wants to take a compiler class, Alex Aiken's Compilers online class is pretty darn good. I took that course a few years ago, back when I still had free time. I had a lot of fun implementing my own Cool95 compiler for MIPS in that class. I had hoped to bring that learning to Intellivision someday...)

Edited by intvnut

Sadly, I convinced nanochess that there MUST be a version of Drunken Pooper for every system. Towards that end he's making NintendyBASIC. :)

:lol: hehe, what an interesting idea :) not easy as 6502 is 8 bits and Intellivision CP1610 processor is far more elegant with 16-bits everywhere.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you decided that there should be a temporary feature set freeze until the end of the contest...

Then you said you were going to add SIN/COS/TAN, 32 bit Decimals and support for differential calculus, right? :-D ;)

Don't forget imaginary numbers and a standard library for tangential functions for going to moon ;)

Actually I have stopped my game waiting for volume control for music and for optimizations on the repeated assignments to backtab array.

Neither of those are development show stoppers in my opinion.

Turn a negative into a positive! Instruct the player to turn the volume up to painful levels when they die. Call it "LOUDVISION" technology!!

I have another excuse

DZ-Jay said the game is not fun

Well, since we all know that I am the source of all your inspiration, then I will accept this as a valid excuse. In fact, you should win the contest just for using my name repeatedly. :P

P.S. I never said the game was not fun. In fact, I think it's got a lot of potential and that it's looking great so far, and I've mentioned that before. :)

Edited by DZ-Jay

The fact I'm not developing IntyBASIC at this time is to provide contestants (IntyBASIC 2015 Game Programming Contest) with a stable compiler release.

I'm pretty proud that only useful features have filtered thru IntyBASIC without making it more slow or overloaded.

Of course I keep the list of features requested, most are pretty reasonable and are a nice improvement, others are complicated and probably will stay in the list, but IntyBASIC goes on next year, at least a little :)

• Like 1

The fact I'm not developing IntyBASIC at this time is to provide contestants (IntyBASIC 2015 Game Programming Contest) with a stable compiler release.

I'm pretty proud that only useful features have filtered thru IntyBASIC without making it more slow or overloaded.

Of course I keep the list of features requested, most are pretty reasonable and are a nice improvement, others are complicated and probably will stay in the list, but IntyBASIC goes on next year, at least a little :)

Outside of the contest, I'm actually happy to see it stable for a while. Releasing many small updates makes it a bit harder to keep track of the new features. I'm a fan of making it really obvious what was added when - and that's easiest with infrequent, bigger releases. For a while there it felt like I was updating my compiler every month and losing track of each point release. There are STILL new features I have yet to use.

You should be proud. It actually performs BETTER with most releases. Not just new features, but doing the same things are usually faster and more code efficient.

And please keep it going next year. If you need encouragement, we can help with that :)

• Like 4

Well, since we all know that I am the source of all your inspiration, then I will accept this as a valid excuse. In fact, you should win the contest just for using my name repeatedly. :P

P.S. I never said the game was not fun. In fact, I think it's got a lot of potential and that it's looking great so far, and I've mentioned that before. :)

I have another reason! I have a rare sickness:

my elbow sticks to my knees (literal translation of an Italian joke)