IGNORED

More disk issues

Opry99er

Well I ordered a box of the correct floppies. I will probably order another box or two over the next few weeks just to stock up on a few.

I have several options for storage to explore in the future including the hxc floppy emulator and finding a ti branded rs232 card.

For now, I'll rely on the ssdd disks I ordered for storage and a method I have yet to prove out for getting programs to the ti from pc. I can get up to 11k at a time to the ti via my PC using CS1er, then save each piece (one at a time) to floppy, then allegedly; use a merge command to put it all together.

So until my floppies arrive (Sept. 6th) I'll keep jugging along in emulation for development and fr99 for gaming. I played Alpiner today for more time than I care to admit. I don't care what anyone thinks, I like that game. Oh and Snake Plissken! Holy cow what a great little game.

Alright guys - So my DS,DD,RH (soft Sector) diskettes arrived. No Go.

Disk won't initialize, when I put in 40 tracks, not single sided and not single density in to Disk Manager 2, I get a Disk Error 17.

Then I had a moment where I recalled someone saying they use DS,DD,RH disks but initialize for 40,ss,sd. So I tried that and BINGO!

I now have my first ever TI-99/4a initialized floppy disk. And I'm about to save my first ever program to it.

I also have a GoTek on the way to transfer to and from PC.

Thanks guys!

Disk won't initialize, when I put in 40 tracks, not single sided and not single density in to Disk Manager 2, I get a Disk Error 17.

Then I had a moment where I recalled someone saying they use DS,DD,RH disks but initialize for 40,ss,sd. So I tried that and BINGO!

I now have my first ever TI-99/4a initialized floppy disk. And I'm about to save my first ever program to it.

Thanks guys!

And so the adventure begins :grin:

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

The stock TI Disk controller will do 40 tracks @ Double Sided / Single Density (provided your drives support that).

I would try 40 @ DS/SD to see if you do in fact have Double sided drives.

The stock TI Disk controller will do 40 tracks @ Double Sided / Single Density (provided your drives support that).

I would try 40 @ DS/SD to see if you do in fact have Double sided drives.

OK, I will try that. Also, my 80 track eproms are in the mail. :) As well as my GoTek, which I'll have to program myself since I got the cheapest one I could grab.

On a side note, I finally got my musick program on to disk from tape from PC. :) It's why I need the GoTek.

NOPE, I don't think my drives support it. Doesn't even try, disk error 17.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Something else may be wrong, it should at least try. Are you sure you said "double sided YES, double density NO" and not the other way around? ;) The only single sided drives I've seen were full heights...

My body doesn't always do what my brain tells it to do. I did in fact have it backwards. Single Sided N, single Density Y and it's now initializing.

Thanks for doubling my storage capacity.

:)

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Now if you decide to do the 80 track upgrade you will be able to double the capacity again, but you will have to swap out the disk drives to 3.5 80 track drives. If you use the Lotharek HxC or the Gotek then it will be really benefecial for the disk images.

Now if you decide to do the 80 track upgrade you will be able to double the capacity again, but you will have to swap out the disk drives to 3.5 80 track drives. If you use the Lotharek HxC or the Gotek then it will be really benefecial for the disk images.

I need some clarification here.

I already ordered the 80 track eproms and I do plan to do the mod. I was under the impression that I could keep a 40 track drive on the 80 track dsk number and still use it as a 40 track drive.

I basically ordered the eproms configured as such:

DSK1 and 2 - 80.

DSK3 40

I figured DSK1 for the Gotek, one of my existing floppies (40 track) for dsk2 and the other for dsk3.

Is that not going to work? It's not a big deal, I could run one of my existing floppy drives as dsk3 (external) I suppose. It's just a straight through floppy cable correct? It's a minor bummer to lose the other floppy drive.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I need some clarification here.

I already ordered the 80 track eproms and I do plan to do the mod. I was under the impression that I could keep a 40 track drive on the 80 track dsk number and still use it as a 40 track drive.

I basically ordered the eproms configured as such:

DSK1 and 2 - 80.

DSK3 40

I figured DSK1 for the Gotek, one of my existing floppies (40 track) for dsk2 and the other for dsk3.

Is that not going to work? It's not a big deal, I could run one of my existing floppy drives as dsk3 (external) I suppose. It's just a straight through floppy cable correct? It's a minor bummer to lose the other floppy drive.

only 80 track drives can go on the 80 track disk #'s.

So if you classified the eproms to be DSK1/2 as 80 track and DSK3 as 40 track then you will need to replace DSK1 and DSK2 witih 80 track drives and move one of your 40 track drives to DSK3.

the TI FDC code cannot be enabled/disabled by a dip switch as the Myarc FDC code can be.

So whatever drives you chose on the EPROM to be 80 track those will need to be 80 track only.

OK, I will try that. Also, my 80 track eproms are in the mail. :) As well as my GoTek, which I'll have to program myself since I got the cheapest one I could grab.

On a side note, I finally got my musick program on to disk from tape from PC. :) It's why I need the GoTek.

NOPE, I don't think my drives support it. Doesn't even try, disk error 17.

ERROR 17 means "Invalid input parameters"

So, what DiskManager2 do you use, and with which language ?

There was some wrong translation, at least inside the german menu, IIRC.

And, what do you enter ?

Edit: ah OK, I see now you´ve swapped it :)

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 1

ERROR 17 means "Invalid input parameters"

So, what DiskManager2 do you use, and with which language ?

There was some wrong translation, at least inside the german menu, IIRC.

And, what do you enter ?

Edit: ah OK, I see now you´ve swapped it :)

I don't know the answer to the rest of your question. I have a cart. It's black, the label is black with orange letters. It says Disk Manager 2 on it. I put that in and select the english selection. A title screen comes up - it says Disk Manager and near the bottom it says 2.0. I follow the instructions in the Disk Management System and things seem pretty much on the up and up except for my floppies which I understand now. But I have no idea what version or anything.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

On my systems, I only use 40/40/80er Eproms.

DSK1 40T - 5.25" (for boot-compability on old floppies)

DSK2 40T - 3.5" or 5.25" or the Lotharek (for copy-compability)

DSK3 80T - 5.25" (for importing only the 80track-stuff, not for saving)

:)

I have one PEB where I cannot remember which Eproms (80:40) I burned, was the very first one.

Is there any chance to find it out, so that I don´t have to dismount it from the rack and reburn ?

Just formatting 40T/80T-disks with 40 or 80-track-option and see what happens ?

thx

I don't know the answer to the rest of your question. I have a cart. It's black, the label is black with orange letters. It says Disk Manager 2 on it. I put that in and select the english selection. A title screen comes up - it says Disk Manager and near the bottom it says 2.0. I follow the instructions in the Disk Management System and things seem pretty much on the up and up except for my floppies which I understand now. But I have no idea what version or anything.

yes, there is only the TI´s DM2 in one version :)

But have a look at the german options, something in the menu is swapped, means different from the english menu

It was like the wrong menu-question but on the right position :)

If use use english menus, all is fine.

• Like 1

only 80 track drives can go on the 80 track disk #'s.

So if you classified the eproms to be DSK1/2 as 80 track and DSK3 as 40 track then you will need to replace DSK1 and DSK2 witih 80 track drives and move one of your 40 track drives to DSK3.

the TI FDC code cannot be enabled/disabled by a dip switch as the Myarc FDC code can be.

So whatever drives you chose on the EPROM to be 80 track those will need to be 80 track only.

That's what I get for not knowing anything or what questions to ask.

I don't have 80 track drives so I suppose I won't be doing the mod. I'll hold on to the chips should I ever come across any 80- track drives.

I don't suppose you could connect two disk controllers? No, I already know the ti only supports 3 floppies I know I know. *shrugs* It won't be the first time I ordered something i can't use. So I guess the GoTek works on 40 or 80 track connection?

That's what I get for not knowing anything or what questions to ask.

I don't have 80 track drives so I suppose I won't be doing the mod. I'll hold on to the chips should I ever come across any 80- track drives.

I don't suppose you could connect two disk controllers? No, I already know the ti only supports 3 floppies I know I know. *shrugs* It won't be the first time I ordered something i can't use. So I guess the GoTek works on 40 or 80 track connection?

80 track drives are fairly easy to come by in 3.5 and cheap. I have used standard 1.44 mb drives in all my TI systems and never had any issues. I even buy 1.44 mb floppy disks and just tape over the high density hole. I have seen some disk where I have had to format them in my 3.5 drive that is setup as 40 track first before I can format them correctly in my 3.5 80 track drive setup. But that usually depends if they are cheap disks or not.

80 track drives are fairly easy to come by in 3.5 and cheap. I have used standard 1.44 mb drives in all my TI systems and never had any issues. I even buy 1.44 mb floppy disks and just tape over the high density hole. I have seen some disk where I have had to format them in my 3.5 drive that is setup as 40 track first before I can format them correctly in my 3.5 80 track drive setup. But that usually depends if they are cheap disks or not.

I must suck at the internet because I can't find any.

Are these standard ibm compatible pc 1.44mb drives? I have a bunch of these if so.

I use IBM PC compatible drives. If they do not have a drive selector jumper on them (they usually don't) then you will have to modify a cable. a straight through cable will get you DSK2. You can look on www.mainbyte.com for the cable pinouts to get DSK1 and DSK3.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

I use IBM PC compatible drives. If they do not have a drive selector jumper on them (they usually don't) then you will have to modify a cable. a straight through cable will get you DSK2. You can look on www.mainbyte.com for the cable pinouts to get DSK1 and DSK3.

Great. Like I said, I probably have about 5 of these in a box, and access to probably 20 more from the junk room in the attic at work. And the gotek I got is the 1.44mb version sooo. I can do GoTek DSK1, 3.5 dsk2 and 5 1/4 dsk3 (because I have 5 1/4 floppies for editor assembly and tiForth. Looks like I will be doing the mod after all. With a modded cable (thanks for the link).

Edited by Sinphaltimus

1.44MiB drives should handle 720KiB diskettes or 1.44MiB diskettes with the HD hole covered as Chris said. I suppose it's possible that cross-formatted diskettes would need bulk erasing to format properly. If you want to try 1.44MiB drives, here are some on EBay:

...lee

I've been out of this game far too long. I didn't realize PC floppies (3.5) can be used once the 80 track mod is applied to the controller. My brain is stuck in Proprietary mode. Like 40/80 track is something that would be printed on the label for ti drives or something.

I'll get there.

I've been out of this game far too long. I didn't realize PC floppies (3.5) can be used once the 80 track mod is applied to the controller.

You can use 3.5" disks even without 80 track mod. They will be filled only halfway then because the controller will not know that there is something beyond cylinder 39.

I did this on my Geneve. I simply forgot to switch to 80 tracks, but did not notice at first. The only problem occurs when you change your mind later, or when you exchange disks with other people.