IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

My initial comment is something along the lines of 'The emperor has no clothes on' like comment.

I have a simpler view. if you think you're so good as a programmer, and the maker of fantastic product, how about proving it with a 7800 game that makes our jaws drop!

If your game is so utterly amazing, I'm sure someone will let me know and I can remove you from my ignore file at that point. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to enjoy Bob's actual games instead of your hot air.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 2

The guy's a real tool. He did the same thing in my Zaxxon 5200 conversion thread. Came in and said why am I wasting my time with that game because it sucks so much. Then proceded to side track the thread on some amazing shooter he was involved in. He didn't get that I was simply doing an 8-bit to 5200 conversion to share with the 5200 crowd. I wasn't looking to release a new game. Anyhow, plenty of people appreciate the game, so I don't worry about his rudeness.

• Like 13

No chance of just spamming the fire button, walking and jumping over holes (or/and enemies) happening throughout the majority of the game. You *have to* stop often and make timed attacks and approaches. The various enemies throughout the game have different patterns of attacks, movements, and abilities.

The game is challenging, undoubtedly some parts harder than others, naturally and especially with the later levels, but also by no means impossible.

Cool, thanks. I'll either buy it or check out a rom if it becomes available after it's released. Unfortunately for me in Canada, the exchange rate is really horrendous right now and 7800 homebrews work out to like $50 for cart only, so it's a bit rough. If it was $30 like it is in the US, it'd be a no brainer.

Cool, thanks. I'll either buy it or check out a rom if it becomes available after it's released. Unfortunately for me in Canada, the exchange rate is really horrendous right now and 7800 homebrews work out to like $50 for cart only, so it's a bit rough. If it was $30 like it is in the US, it'd be a no brainer.

Close, still sucks.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=30&From=USD&To=CAD

You gotta factor in another $8 or so for shipping. :P I can get stuff shipped to the US, so I get a bit of a break, but if it's over $100, I then have to pay duty, which adds more to the price. It cost me $52 to get the 7800 light gun from Best, and that was shipped to US!

Hasn''t the Canadian dollar always been a bit weaker than USD? Just like the Euro and the Pound are a bit stronger? :roll:

For a while, it was stronger. Normally it's weaker, but this is exceptionally shitty.

• Like 1

You gotta factor in another $8 or so for shipping. :P I can get stuff shipped to the US, so I get a bit of a break, but if it's over $100, I then have to pay duty, which adds more to the price. It cost me $52 to get the 7800 light gun from Best, and that was shipped to US!

For a while, it was stronger. Normally it's weaker, but this is exceptionally shitty.

Doesn't help that Best notoriously over-packs stuff and won't quote shipping... My Best XE light gun came in a box big enough to hold a 5200... :o

• Like 1

Its like 73 cents I think 5 years ago was 1.05 or something. I wanted to buy like 20 homebrews in the store but only spent 250 bucks for a couple games. Plus shipping has 4x in the last 5 years as well.. A single cart was like 5-7bucks for shipping now it is 20 from some people.

Edited by Jinks

Now now guys come on! In all fairness, we should at LEAST have a look at some of his work FIRST before passing judgement... I, for one, think it's not too bad... for a novice ;):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdv7V-qP8c

http://youtu.be/Sd8JxSYLUX4

After now seeing it, I actually kind of like "AtariBLAST!" - has a "Sirius" meets "Zaxxon" kind of feel to it. :) Good job!

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

After now seeing it, I actually kind of like "AtariBLAST!" - has a "Sirius" meets "Zaxxon" kind of feel to it. :) Good job!

Your a class act as always Bob. Harvey could learn from you.

I don't care for the Zaxxon-ish background. It's pretty to look at, but the isometric like view conflicts with the 2d top down animations. What's the point of having walls that the ship can pass through? It just doesn't feel right to me.

• Like 5

I don't care for the Zaxxon-ish background. It's pretty to look at, but the isometric like view conflicts with the 2d top down animations. What's the point of having walls that the ship can pass through? It just doesn't feel right to me.

I guess it's more like a demo that mixes two game modes, especially since the 2D ship and the enemies won't fit to the iso graphic style/canon of the background. Actually I like the Zaxxon-inspired backgrounds and the colorful 2D sprites, the Atari 8-bit need some good looking shooters.

The guy's a real tool. He did the same thing in my Zaxxon 5200 conversion thread. Came in and said why am I wasting my time with that game because it sucks so much. Then proceded to side track the thread on some amazing shooter he was involved in. He didn't get that I was simply doing an 8-bit to 5200 conversion to share with the 5200 crowd. I wasn't looking to release a new game. Anyhow, plenty of people appreciate the game, so I don't worry about his rudeness.

If I like something - I say so, if I don't like it - I'll say so, also but try to say so politely.

I did not say you were wasting your time making improvements etc on the Fortier conversion effort. In fact I think it is great of you to do it. I can appreciate how much time, expertise and knowledge is required to make changes to any existing game. I don't look down upon such effort at all.

I said I was disappointed in how this conversion by Fortier turned out - being a big fan of the coin-op. I know now how hard it is to do any conversion of this game to any home computer system, and see how the C-64 Synapse is the best so far, the other Sega C64 version is the poorer effort - but manages to put more of the graphic designs in. The on screen objects are done well in the Fortier conversion - it is only the sparse background that is disappointing. It would be hard to better the C64 synapse version - but that may be possible? Maybe - maybe not? You won't know unless you give it a good try - but who would risk spending up to 3 years on such a risky project?

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

I think kiwilove should get together with sn8k and make a KISS game for the Atari 7800:

I think if I did try to make the game it would be on 7800. Would be a shmup type game. Ace flying and his guitar would be firing lightning bolts at enemies. 2000 man, I want you and Detroit rock city would be featured in the game. It would need one of those xm things and pokey to sound good.

Overall the game would be something like forgotten worlds on genesis. I simply dont have the ability to do so. I also figure it would be harder to program 7800 games. Not sure. Just an assumption. What I dont understand is how you've got talented programmers making shitty games or games that technically are good but no one really wants. Could have easily already had the game but instead we get a Bentley bear game and blatant rip offs like dungeon stalker Not to say that its a bad game, just that there are hundreds of other ideas I would have made a reality before Bentley bear or a night stalker rip off that still doesn't look as cool as the original.

:D

This was just an experiment to begin with. I tried the standard isometric view to begin with - the brick wall, but I couldn't get it working or looking right - so I changed the angle to this side on view - which is like that done in Metrocross - and the brick work came together better. With the wall done, I then added the extra bits onto it.

I do the graphics design only and have no part in the programming. The game engine was not going to change for the changed graphics viewpoint - nor did I expect the programmer to make any special changes/etc to it - as the game project was getting to be too big anyway. So collision detection for the walls was never going to be added.

But Zaxxon could be done in this manner, had some programmer wanted to do it this way - from scratch. That it is viable if you liked what you saw here? It is harder to fit in all the Zaxxon design elements in it's proper diagonal scroll environment, whereas it's easier to do it horizontally - though I decided to go an original route with the rest of it, because it was easier to fit these original bits in, rather than going back to the coin-op design work. Because not enough characters are available to fit those designs in.

So, as an experiment - I think it worked. It may look a bit silly with the collision detection not working. It is what it is. That the force field animation looks OK, and you can shoot these away - is present in the game engine already, worked out nicely?

Harvey

I'm game for another 7800 shooter.

For me, it is easier to work on shooter graphics - and doing platform graphics is harder, mainly because of the animation quality required of the main character and it's enemies as such.

I would be keen to try to outdo Sirius and Plutos - but to find a keen enough 7800 programmer to work with, wanting to take up the challenge, would be the difficult part. AtariBLAST! shows what kind of improvements can be done? with a 7800 game? But doing that on the 7800 may be beyond it's capabilities? Have animation in the background and the rear screen?

Harvey

Now now guys come on! In all fairness, we should at LEAST have a look at some of his work FIRST before passing judgement... I, for one, think it's not too bad... for a novice ;):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdv7V-qP8c

http://youtu.be/Sd8JxSYLUX4

I'm not exactly a novice - but for my first project I worked on - Laser Hawk, I was - back then.

It was about 3 years ago, I got back into 8-bit graphics again.

I'm glad someone knows how to use Google.

Harvey

If I like something - I say so, if I don't like it - I'll say so, also but try to say so politely.

You seem to be the only person who thinks you are polite.

I would be keen to try to outdo Sirius and Plutos - but to find a keen enough 7800 programmer to work with, wanting to take up the challenge, would be the difficult part.

You may have just burn't the bridge with that keen 7800 programmer due to your lack of tact.

• Like 1

You seem to be the only person who thinks you are polite.

You may have just burn't the bridge with that keen 7800 programmer due to your lack of tact.

No matter what I was going to say in my first comment - was not going to be sweet at all, but something sour.

And there's no way to make sour sound better. SN8K said it far better than me in his comments - which I guess was the case.

All anyone needs to know about me - for any possible partnership/etc is that I will give it a good go. If I don't produce good quality graphics then you need not use them. I can't even guarantee that I will deliver excellent graphics - but that I will try, provided I have a good enough editor/etc to work with.

I do know there is an incredible amount of hard work, that goes into completing any videogame project - and that after your first project - you can only get better and better. If you love videogames - it is more of a work of passion.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

I'll make the apology - that I shouldn't have sounded off, like I did here, with my first comment.

That it was inappropriate as such.

I know how hard it is to accept any negative comment on your own work.

I did not intend to get people so upset and emotional with what I had written. That was never my intention.

I did not use F or S words or words to that effect.

This is a public community of sorts - and I hope we can keep such words out. I certainly did not expect people to read between the lines and think I intended such like comments.

Harvey