IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

Beerslinger was on eBay for weeks in my watch list at 19.99 and jumped to 29.99 the night I was buying my first ever homebrews and was gonna give it a whirl. So it was really decently priced for a long time.

I paid $30 on Etsy for mine. To be fair, $30 is more than reasonable for a loose NES homebrew. I also noticed you were from Canada and I'm not sure the Etsy shop ships there.

Well Bob also has a work in progress survival type of game. I have not seen it in awhile (I dont emulate just seen a screenshot about a year ago) But it may be kinda what your after?

Call me lame or whatever but with 2 younger kids I would not play a game with swearing etc. as I shut down movies with too much swearing etc. Try mad world for the wii if you like blood and swearing.

And that game uses Dual Joysticks for some serious retro-madness.

Yep. It wasn't us doing better than normal that gave us a great exchange rate. It was the banks tanking the US economy hardcore. But due to people running across the border every time the canadian dollar spiked above the US, our dollar ended up spiraling along with it.

We have some Canadian family friends and they mentioned when the Canadian dollar spiked, a lot of Canadians went south to buy new cars.

Edited by Lynxpro

You need to graduate to the NES for that. See also:

Beat em and Eat em (direct port of the Mystique classic, now with Vaus support)

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=139

Cornball Cocksuckers (from the same guy who did Beat 'em, all sold out)

http://beta.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=154017

Beer Slinger (spiritual sequel to Tapper)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234297536/beerslinger-nintendo-nes-brand-new

We need Beat 'em & Eat 'em as a Paddle-supporting game on both the 5200 and 7800...

• Like 1

Funny you mention it; when I was in grade school, some girl in my class traded me a Canadian nickel for a US dime, and a CA penny for a nickle, and I think a dime for a quarter. Being from Louisiana, I'd never seen them before and thought they were rare and valuable. Imagine my horror when I came home and showed my dad the find, only for him to inform me the Canadian currency was worth less than the US equivalent, much less the fact I traded higher valued US coins for them. :P

There is no exachange on coins from the USA to CANADA in most the upper states from my experience. The quarter, dime and nickle (and the penny before it was discontinued in Canada) are taken at par in both countries. Only full dollars are subject to the exchange rate. At least in most places that is. States further down like Louisiana I can see there being an issue there. I know I have friends that used to trade our dollar coin called the "loonie" straight up for an American dollar in the lower states just cause most had not seen one before and wanted them as a curiosity. The same way you speak of when you traded for them with your friend for the smaller coins.

There is no exachange on coins from the USA to CANADA in most the upper states from my experience. The quarter, dime and nickle (and the penny before it was discontinued in Canada) are taken at par in both countries. Only full dollars are subject to the exchange rate. At least in most places that is. States further down like Louisiana I can see there being an issue there. I know I have friends that used to trade our dollar coin called the "loonie" straight up for an American dollar in the lower states just cause most had not seen one before and wanted them as a curiosity. The same way you speak of when you traded for them with your friend for the smaller coins.

Interesting to note, I did a read about some vending machines that have a sensor to detect ferrous coins (because Canadian coins apparently have some small iron content) and when a ferrous or magnetic coin is detected, kicks it out to the reject slot. I also got a coin from the United Arab Emerates once from a vending machine instead of a quarter. It was the same size as US quarter and had a groved edge. But I don't think I'd care much one way or the other if they did away with pennies here in the US. Convenience stores already have the penny trays, and people hold up the flow when they pull pennies out of a coin coffer. It's very easy to round to the nearest nickel. 1267 rounds down; 3489 rounds up.

I hate to shoot down your criticism, but you mention "Game Development", making a better game, but don't give one example of what you find wrong. Not to mention talking down to someone (anyone) as in "you have to be truthful about your current effort(s) or you'll not correct any mistakes/weaknesses present." Who are you?

Making a good game is my goal. I appreciate *helpful* suggestions to make a game better, not just someone coming in here and saying "it's not good enough".

Just ignore ignorance brother.

You know to most of us, you are the best thing that ever happened for us 7800 collectors and retro game enthusiasts.

As I've stated many times, as a very experienced retro game player, I find Bently Bear to be the best game for the 7800.

Keep up the good work, and Dont let a few haters and trolls demotivate you.

With everything great in the world, there are always those who like to be the party pooper.

Besides, is funny that this guy is being critical and claims to he a programmer, yet hasn't listed one single thing he's worked on.

LoL.

Just laugh at him like I did.

99% of 7800 enthusiasts really appreciate the passion, time and love you put into your work.

Without the great work you have done, most of us would have our 7800 console in a shoe box packed away in the attic.

You are the best

Also id like to wish a very merry Christmas to you and your family.

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 5

I really hate to shoot you down for your effort and work, etc - but I think there is yet to be a definitive platform game for the 7800.

I've never played the 7800 - but I do have a strong interest in videogames development - particularly with the graphic design, as such, since that is an interest/hobby of mine.

But besides the graphics (in which the more animation there is, the better...) the programming also has to be of high quality too - in this case, responsive control and movement.

You don't want a game that is too responsive/sensitive - nor one that is too slow/sluggish. You don't want a simple jump, but one that actually looks like a jump, as with a hill vector movement looks more natural.

A good example of a platform game could be Wonderboy - or take any other such videogame that you like.

And for originality - you can look at the graphics of Crownland. Sadly this game suffers from not having the best control system in place and would have benefited greatly had a 2 button joypad been in use for it.

Anyway - to want to strive towards being better and better in your work - you have to be truthful about your current effort(s) or you'll not correct any mistakes/weaknesses present.

I would be keen to work on any 7800 project(s) if I can be of use for them.

Harvey

Just Shut the hell up!!!!!!!!!

What are you?

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 4

I HAVE to respond here, Bob has been MORE than generous with his time and effort here at AA. If it were not for Bob and those like him the 7800 would not be where it is today.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is just what it is,, an opinion.

However we here at AA believe in proof rather than talk. And Robert has proved himself ABOVE and BEYOND all measure without boasting one bit...although he has every right to do so.

THANK YOU BOB AGAIN FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE THUS FAR for the 7800!!!

WE ALL LOVE YOU and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

NIKON

• Like 7

Did I forget to mention,that PacManPlus has almost single handedly doubled the 7800 library with better games than the orional releases in his spare time.

And has done so out of love, not profit.

He even autographed a copy of Frenzy that I purchased from him a while back.

An autographed cart from a legendary programmer guru to me in my opinion is priceless, and is the centerpiece of my retro game collection.

Now that is as Nobel as it gets.

• Like 3

Did I forget to mention,that PacManPlus has almost single handedly doubled the 7800 library with better games than the orional releases in his spare time.

And has done so out of love, not profit.

He even autographed a copy of Frenzy that I purchased from him a while back.

An autographed cart from a legendary programmer guru to me in my opinion is priceless, and is the centerpiece of my retro game collection.

Now that is as Nobel as it gets.

If you are counting only the good games in the 7800's original library, then tripled the size thanks to PMP. I was playing Planet Smashers last night. Doesn't hold a candle to say Bob's Meteor Shower homebrew.

• Like 2

If you are counting only the good games in the 7800's original library, then tripled the size thanks to PMP. I was playing Planet Smashers last night. Doesn't hold a candle to say Bob's Meteor Shower homebrew.

Well said.

I love Bobs version of Meteor Shower better than AstroSmash for the Intellivision.

I used to play AstroSmash on the Intellivison for hours at a a time.

I was thrilled when Meteor Shower came out for the 7800.

• Like 1

Bob does kick ass when it comes to programming games. He has a lot more programming experience than any jealous troll would. To actually code in machine language that takes years to understand and to make games to keep a system alive, you have to thank him for that. Also Bob's (I think) a musician he mentioned in another thread, and the music and programming are interconnected since musicians are able to work and solve problems.

• Like 5

All this talk of ratios got me to counting the number of Bob's games in my collection. Compared to the original library of stuff I actually like to play (Hat Trick is an aberration, so figure 26) vs. 12 of Bob's (for the moment)… yep, makes nearly half! :rolling:

attachicon.gif7800 carts.jpg

Hey, I like Hat Trick. Too bad it doesn't support the Trak-Ball like in the arcade. Then again, no independent second fire button on an unmodified CX-22 or CX-80.

Bob's games currently represent 28% (11 games in all) of my 7800 library. I expect it to increase to 33% in the new year as I want to purchase Meteor Shower and Space Dual.

Thanks Bob!

Don't forget BonQ, Beef Drop, Dungeon Stalker, Wasp and Worm. Those count too. But Bob is by far the most prolific homebrew 7800 author with 19 out of 24 Homebrews in the AA store and more WIPs coming through the pipes...

• Like 1

So has anyone gotten his WIP XM version .A78 files working in MAME? The latest MAME I have working is 0.164 but I can't get the XM version to play properly. It loads and runs, and sounds great! But there's no Bentley sprite. He's completely invisible. Conversely, the non-XM version works great but there's no sound at all.

Anyone gotten either version to work correctly in emulation?

Thanks, guys :) there are a few others too. Propane13 has 'Get Lost!' and 'Arkanoid' that I'd love for him to finish (he's awesome - like Kenfused, Schmutspuppe and Atarius Maximus)

@DrVenkman: regarding BBCQ, it's currently working for me (both graphics and sound) in the current version of M.E.S.S. (within M.A.M.E) let's try this:

- Use the attached version here, as I know this works in MESS

- use this command line: "MAME.EXE a7800 -cart xm -skip_gameinfo -cart2 D:\GAMES\MESS_164\SOFTWARE\A7800\Bentley.A78

Of course you would replace the "D:\GAMES\MESS_164" part with your path to MESS

Bentley.a78

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1