IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

So has anyone gotten his WIP XM version .A78 files working in MAME? The latest MAME I have working is 0.164 but I can't get the XM version to play properly. It loads and runs, and sounds great! But there's no Bentley sprite. He's completely invisible. Conversely, the non-XM version works great but there's no sound at all.

Anyone gotten either version to work correctly in emulation?

Maybe use a real 7800 emulator? What you're asking is like getting the Melody homebrew running on 2600.emu or anything that's not Stella.

• Like 1

Stardust4ever -what? MAME has folded MESS into it as of several months ago. It's a better "real 7800 emulator" than ProSystem these days by far. Just ask Trebor.

CPUWIz - ? Not sure what your comment means.

Bob - thanks, will give it a go tomorrow. :)

If you launch that file in the emulator, Bob has control of your computer, from anywhere in the world. He'll be able to just install beta versions of his new games on your system, without your knowledge. :skull: :ponder: :lol:

• Like 3

Thanks, guys :) there are a few others too. Propane13 has 'Get Lost!' and 'Arkanoid' that I'd love for him to finish (he's awesome - like Kenfused, Schmutspuppe and Atarius Maximus)

@DrVenkman: regarding BBCQ, it's currently working for me (both graphics and sound) in the current version of M.E.S.S. (within M.A.M.E) let's try this:

- Use the attached version here, as I know this works in MESS

- use this command line: "MAME.EXE a7800 -cart xm -skip_gameinfo -cart2 D:\GAMES\MESS_164\SOFTWARE\A7800\Bentley.A78

Of course you would replace the "D:\GAMES\MESS_164" part with your path to MESS

That one works! Thanks, Bob! Can't wait to give it a real try. :)

Thanks, guys :) there are a few others too. Propane13 has 'Get Lost!' and 'Arkanoid' that I'd love for him to finish (he's awesome - like Kenfused, Schmutspuppe and Atarius Maximus)

@DrVenkman: regarding BBCQ, it's currently working for me (both graphics and sound) in the current version of M.E.S.S. (within M.A.M.E) let's try this:

- Use the attached version here, as I know this works in MESS

- use this command line: "MAME.EXE a7800 -cart xm -skip_gameinfo -cart2 D:\GAMES\MESS_164\SOFTWARE\A7800\Bentley.A78

Of course you would replace the "D:\GAMES\MESS_164" part with your path to MESS

tried this one on the concerto and still no dice for pokey sound. I loaded up all other games that I've got pokey audio for and it reads the pokey address at $4000 for them (beef drop, commando, ballblazer, and your pac-man collection)

tried this one on the concerto and still no dice for pokey sound. I loaded up all other games that I've got pokey audio for and it reads the pokey address at $4000 for them (beef drop, commando, ballblazer, and your pac-man collection)

damn.

Ok I'll try and see if I can figure out what's going on - it's just going to be a little hard at the moment with Christmas coming (I'm having it here, and I made gravy yesterday, I have to make a few more things).

:(

According to batari, there is only support for POKEY @$4000. The support for POKEY @$0450 is not implemented.

Unfortunately, the erroneous and hardware inaccurate simultaneous support of ROM @$4000 and POKEY writes @$4000, via ProSystem emulator is what has been utilized as reference for Concerto. There is no real existing hardware that can support that configuration and behave properly under the actual console.

Consequently, under Concerto, neither Bentley Bear or Donkey Kong PK / XM (which is mapped for POKEY @$0450) will run properly.

The hardware accurate support of POKEY @$0450 (with ROM @$4000) via CPUWIZ's PCBs, XM expansion, or XBoard add-on, which is also properly emulated under MAME(MESS), will hopefully make its way to Concerto.

It's a better "real 7800 emulator" than ProSystem these days by far.

:thumbsup:

Coincidentally, as a case in point, see the above post. :)

While there is always personal preference and subjective perspective, as far as accuracy of emulating the actual hardware, MAME is the better choice between the two.

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on cartridge releases? :) So the consensus is POKEY without an XM or XM without a POKEY? You talking to the people in charge of the store here? So Atari owns the bear rights, cute character they should have strutted him out more often?

CPUWIZ has boards ready to go. Albert is waiting on cheaply available Hokeys to sell these games like Bentley Bear and others. No way he's sacrificing a metric ton of BallBlazers to produce homebrew.

I wouldn't hold my breath on XM. Curt is still dragging feet. Should XM come to fruition, I imagine dual release as Hokey enabled and XM-enhanced for a reduced price.

We already have on-cart RAM and will have a plentiful Hokeys (Pokey replacements) available at some point. High score saving notwithstanding, aside from some Yamaha chips and other VooDoo, the XM really isn't necessary anymore, IMO.

CPUWIZ has boards ready to go. Albert is waiting on cheaply available Hokeys to sell these games like Bentley Bear and others. No way he's sacrificing a metric ton of BallBlazers to produce homebrew.

I wouldn't hold my breath on XM. Curt is still dragging feet. Should XM come to fruition, I imagine dual release as Hokey enabled and XM-enhanced for a reduced price.

We already have on-cart RAM and will have a plentiful Hokeys (Pokey replacements) available at some point. High score saving notwithstanding, aside from some Yamaha chips and other VooDoo, the XM really isn't necessary anymore, IMO.

Thanks for the info, had to ask with the game being complete and the 7800 having fewer homebrews, still more than the 5200 it seems.

Heh I'm no BallBlazers fan but yeah that would be impractical.

I actually crossed paths with someone a little frustrated by the long wait on the XM over at Sega-16. I was arguing in favor of the 32X based on how hard it is to mass produce an expansion module, the 32X isn't perfect but there are more than 200 of them to buy from multipe sources.

I know new hardware is a pricey venture but it seems like there are enough preorders to get some momentum on the XM. I'm realistic about the XM but I think for most people you just want a status report, hell I'd even like to hear about what is going wrong no matter what it is and discuss solutions as that is better than long periods of radio silence that happen with projects.

Well I look forward to the eventual release of Bentley in cart form, should sell well imo. :)

• Like 1

I know new hardware is a pricey venture but it seems like there are enough preorders to get some momentum on the XM. I'm realistic about the XM but I think for most people you just want a status report, hell I'd even like to hear about what is going wrong no matter what it is and discuss solutions as that is better than long periods of radio silence that happen with projects.

There's an old saying about "biting off more than you can chew". Feels like that with the XM. Highly complicated project basically done by a couple of people, with one doing all the hardware assembly alone.

I'm hopeful that it's going to come out eventually - even though it's been a half decade since I paid for mine. In that time, I've moved provinces, settled in a different city, started and ended a 1.5 year relationship, started another, gotten married etc ...

• Like 3

Tep392 is re-writing the XM's BIOS. It's not about Curt "dragging feet".

And as for the XM not being "necessary", well, not only won't you have the YM2151, but you'll lose out on the SIO Port, the XEGS Keyboard Port, and 128K system RAM. The RAM loss wouldn't be so bad if someone would *BUILD SOME XBOARDS* but that appears to be completely dead.

Personally, I wonder if the HOKEY is the economical route to go. A PIC32 drops in price to $3.36 each from Microchip if 100 are purchased. And there's videos of the PIC32 on Youtube doing the job of Dual POKEY audio.

Personally, I wonder if the HOKEY is the economical route to go. A PIC32 drops in price to $3.36 each from Microchip if 100 are purchased. And there's videos of the PIC32 on Youtube doing the job of Dual POKEY audio.

So about $5 each when you include the breakout board. Programming is a fixed cost item so you don't pay for each chip.

I would happily pay $35 for Pokey enhanced homebrews as opposed to $30 for non-Pokey versions.

• Like 2

So about $5 each when you include the breakout board. Programming is a fixed cost item so you don't pay for each chip.

I would happily pay $35 for Pokey enhanced homebrews as opposed to $30 for non-Pokey versions.

Pokey enhanced homebrews are also my preference. NEED to have the best audio possible! :P

Patiently (but anxiously as well) waiting for this cart release with Pokey/Hokey sound.

• Like 1

There's an old saying about "biting off more than you can chew". Feels like that with the XM. Highly complicated project basically done by a couple of people, with one doing all the hardware assembly alone.

I'm hopeful that it's going to come out eventually - even though it's been a half decade since I paid for mine. In that time, I've moved provinces, settled in a different city, started and ended a 1.5 year relationship, started another, gotten married etc ...

Well now I feel bad, that will take a long time for one person to build them. :(

That was my dilemma with reading about the XM IE. "Wait this article is 3 years old?". On one hand retro consoles aren't really effected by time IE. once something is old it can't be new ever again. However there's kind of a statute of limitation the XM is running into with so much time passing, the basic tech migrating into cartridges rather than into the module.

Still despite these matters to me modules just make more sense logically in the long run IE. there are fewer consoles than there are games total typically and every game in need of extra chips equals a heck of lot more chips overall. Me I have a hard time with limited supply models, to me you make something, sell them, make some more, and sell them again as demands speak. I hate the whole 40 copy, high price, and then never again selling structure EG. Boulder Dash 2600.

Pokey enhanced homebrews are also my preference. NEED to have the best audio possible! :P

Patiently (but anxiously as well) waiting for this cart release with Pokey/Hokey sound.

Yeah that is the 7800's weakness, all that graphical enhancement over a 2600 but it has the same sound as 2600. I guess it balances out some with all the peripherals of the 2600 plugging in. Still I can't imagine doing a 7800 game without at least a HOKEY inside these days.

Tep392 is re-writing the XM's BIOS. It's not about Curt "dragging feet".

And as for the XM not being "necessary", well, not only won't you have the YM2151, but you'll lose out on the SIO Port, the XEGS Keyboard Port, and 128K system RAM. The RAM loss wouldn't be so bad if someone would *BUILD SOME XBOARDS* but that appears to be completely dead.

And who is going to write software to support a keyboard connected to the 7800? Keyboard support and SIO, whatever, isn't going to do anything unless games are written to support them.

And who is going to write software to support a keyboard connected to the 7800? Keyboard support and SIO, whatever, isn't going to do anything unless games are written to support them.

If you build it, they will come. If you have SIO on a 7800, MIDI Maze is doable.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the bump, but if this game ever becomes available as a cart that can be played without having to add extra stuff to the 7800 aside form any expansion modules (and not too much of a sacrifice to the game's spectacular BGM), this will be the game that will make me finally go out and buy a 7800. Especially if it can't run properly in ProSystem without major graphical/audio sacrifices (since I've never been able to configure MESS properly in my life).

Edited by Justin De Lucia