IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

Apologies for the bump, but if this game ever becomes available as a cart that can be played without having to add extra stuff to the 7800 (and not too much of a sacrifice to the game's spectacular BGM), this will be the game that will make me finally go out and buy a 7800.

Just waiting for this:

post-5792-0-45792300-1395369991.jpg

Especially if it can't run properly in ProSystem without major graphical/audio sacrifices (since I've never been able to configure MESS properly in my life).

Setup and running MAME(MESS) is made very easy in four simple steps.

Bob provided the game ROM with proper header here.

• Like 3

Per the link provided, it would seem to be the case. :)

Batari has been working on that POKEY replacement chip as circumstances allow; HOKEY is still not ready for prime-time yet. ;)

If it could be ready for Prime Time at the same time Concerto is ready for actual production (not just a few hand-built prototypes), life in 7800 Land would be magical and full of unicorns and rainbows ... :)

• Like 4

It would be great if the game had the option to be sold without the pokey chip and we could solder in our own donors. I'm sure there's plenty of people who just don't care about ballblazer enough to worry if the world will run out of copies. Let the slaughter begin...if only sigh. Reality is, if its been 2 years already most people are cool waiting a couple more years i guess.

• Like 1

Just waiting for this:

post-5792-0-45792300-1395369991.jpg

Setup and running MAME(MESS) is made very easy in four simple steps.

Bob provided the game ROM with proper header here.

What is holding up the Hokey, anyway? I get the Concerto delays because 2% of Atari 7800s don't play nice with it. As for Hokey, has there been an actual demonstration yet?

I am ready for Bently Bear, DK PK, Pacman / Ms Pacman 320, and every other Homebrew coming out that might use it. Panties are soaked... :P

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, wasn't there the Atari 7800 XM that was being worked on for some time? I remember hearing that it has a Pokey chip installed inside it so theoretically you would only need the XM to play BBCQ without gutting the 7800 and soldering in the Pokey chip. Or are the Pokey chips just uncommon due to being hard to manufacture?

Feel free to correct me on anything if my knowledge of this is too slim.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there the Atari 7800 XM that was being worked on for some time? I remember hearing that it has a Pokey chip installed inside it so theoretically you would only need the XM to play BBCQ without gutting the 7800 and soldering in the Pokey chip. Or are the Pokey chips just uncommon due to being hard to manufacture?

Your right. If you are in the 7800 forum and look to the first pinned thread you will see a topic called"7800 XM update"

• 1 month later...

To answer your question, the hokey chips are a replacement for Pokeys. However they don't have the I/O functions of the Pokey, only audio generation. Perfect for 7800 homebrew carts. I'm not sure if the XM uses Pokey for something else or not but it's mostly moot now that we can get extra RAM and Hokeys in 7800 carts, there's little need for one IMO. The upcoming Concerto is supposed to support HSC functionality, so the future of 7800 development looks to be bright whether the XM ever comes to fruition or not.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the XM uses Pokey for something else or not but it's mostly moot now that we can get extra RAM and Hokeys in 7800 carts, there's little need for one IMO.

Did I miss something? HOKEY isn't done yet, is it? Still in limbo waiting for final bugs to be killed along with the Concerto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your question, the hokey chips are a replacement for Pokeys. However they don't have the I/O functions of the Pokey, only audio generation. Perfect for 7800 homebrew carts. I'm not sure if the XM uses Pokey for something else or not but it's mostly moot now that we can get extra RAM and Hokeys in 7800 carts, there's little need for one IMO. The upcoming Concerto is supposed to support HSC functionality, so the future of 7800 development looks to be bright whether the XM ever comes to fruition or not.

*128K RAM like the earlier XBoard.

*HSC Functionality built-in.

*POKEY onboard. Doesn't support Dual POKEY like XBoard though. Regardless, less wasted cart-based POKEYs.

*YM2151 for Atari Games arcade audio capabilities. This is what's been causing the issues with the BIOS.

*XE Game System Keyboard Port. XEGS Keyboards are obviously infinitely more available than DB9-based 7800 Keyboards.

*If you install a PIA chip, you'll have SIO Port Functionality… networked MIDI Maze would be possible.

Did I miss anything?

If I wanna game with a keyboard, I'll simple buy an XEGS and gain access to the full 8-bit back catalog... :roll:

Yeah i agree, the idea of hooking up a keyboard to my 7800 just sounds stupid. I already have plenty of keyboard gaming at my fingertips with my xegs and atari 800.

• Like 1

Yeah i agree, the idea of hooking up a keyboard to my 7800 just sounds stupid. I already have plenty of keyboard gaming at my fingertips with my xegs and atari 800.

The reason for it, conceptually, was to complete the original intent for the 7800 console to be expandable. There are unreleased prototype software carts for the unreleased keyboard.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800keyboard.html

• Like 3

• 2 months later...