IGNORED

3D Printing for CIB Colecovision Games

Toucan

I just thought of this. Since I am just getting into collecting for the Colecovision and my new job involves managing 3D Printers and we have some very high quality ($25,000) printers here. It just hit me that maybe some guys here might need some things 3D Printed. If so, I could help. Is there any interest at all in having 3D Printed items made? The only thing is that I would need to have the model pre-rendered for printing, as I am not good at using the modeling software (at least not yet as I am just starting at the job). I was thinking that if someone has the know how on how to create a 3D model then I might be able to print the item out for you (note that the final file format needed is an .stl file, but I might be able to use some of the software (like Fusion 360) to create an .stl file from a model. Just something I thought I would trow out there to the community.

The cost/value would be determined by the amount of plastic used for the print. I would love to trade for CIB Colecovision games for the cost of the print. It would be printed in ABS plastic (choice of red, white, or blue). I also have some smaller 3D Printers that are also good, but use PLA. The results are not as good as the $25,000 printers that use ABS but there are more color options for these (blue, neon green, yellow, orange, purple, gold, and red). Note that on these cheaper machines ($3000 machines) they would not be precision accurate like the higher end models. So if you need a screw hole with a screw that will fit into it, you would have to stick with the top notch printers. Just something I was thinking about to help boost my Colecovision collection and get it started!

I always thought it would be cool to print out new cv consoles shells (like the 7800, though they had a template) and controllers among lots of other things. I printed out a casing at work for the Intellivision expansion module proto my boss has been working on, but I screwed up the specs and it's not exactly a cheap mistake. Then again, we're using a $1200.00 Flashforge off amazon (SLOW).

Yeah, there's a lot of possibilities with 3D Printing. A lot of people have been using it to design cases for up and coming projects. I figured since not everyone has access to these high end printers, and with Christmas season coming up, there might be a big interest in something like this. Someone in the TI group here is looking at making some NanoPEB cases for one of the more recent expansion devices for that system and is interested in having me print some out.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought it would be cool to print out new cv consoles shells (like the 7800, though they had a template) and controllers among lots of other things. I printed out a casing at work for the Intellivision expansion module proto my boss has been working on, but I screwed up the specs and it's not exactly a cheap mistake. Then again, we're using a $1200.00 Flashforge off amazon (SLOW).

I was actually tempted to start a Kickstarter for brand new CV console shells (multi colors)

Problem offering multi colors (besides the producing the mold itself) is you've to make batch of several colors (say about 500-1000 console shells per color)

Having like 4-5 different colors would be a HUGE invesment and at the end of the day, you're not even sure to recoup the initial money invested

Although, I think a Kickstarter would worth a shot

I was actually tempted to start a Kickstarter for brand new CV console shells (multi colors)

Problem offering multi colors (besides the producing the mold itself) is you've to make batch of several colors (say about 500-1000 console shells per color)

Having like 4-5 different colors would be a HUGE invesment and at the end of the day, you're not even sure to recoup the initial money invested

Although, I think a Kickstarter would worth a shot

If you're going to do a Kickstarter towards a metal mold to make new plastic enclosures for consoles, you should consider a "one-size-fits-all" shell design that could be used for any console project, such as Kevtris's proposed FPGA-based console, juice2839's ColecoVision clone, or any Raspberry-Pi console project.

The enclosure could feature holes for such things as DB9 or USB connectors, a cartridge port, power and reset switches, a power connector, TV output connectors, perhaps even expansion ports for external modules. Then any motherboard could be configured to fit precisely inside this enclosure.

The design step would likely take a long time and should involve many people (such as Kevtris) to cater to as many projects as possible.

Just my two cents. :)

• Like 2

If you're going to do a Kickstarter towards a metal mold to make new plastic enclosures for consoles, you should consider a "one-size-fits-all" shell design that could be used for any console project, such as Kevtris's proposed FPGA-based console, juice2839's ColecoVision clone, or any Raspberry-Pi console project.

The enclosure could feature holes for such things as DB9 or USB connectors, a cartridge port, power and reset switches, a power connector, TV output connectors, perhaps even expansion ports for external modules. Then any motherboard could be configured to fit precisely inside this enclosure.

The design step would likely take a long time and should involve many people (such as Kevtris) to cater to as many projects as possible.

Just my two cents. :)

Completely agreed