IGNORED

Xbox 360 power supply question/discussion

Unbeliever

I could use some advice on the Xbox 360 power supply. Recently, I bought a "used" Xbox 360 E model with a power supply that seems fine as of this post. However, I've noticed in the last few days a slight "whine" from the unit and I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about or not? The power supply is performing fine otherwise, not overheating or anything like that, but the slight whine is noticeable after you power down and it's going through the end shut down sequence.

Any thoughts on this? Most people around here have owned 360's far longer than me, so your advice would be appreciated if I need to think about replacing it or just let it slide.

I didn't expect it, but probably should have considering it's a used system (but really well taken care of..no scratches, dings, dents, or other detracting scuffs. The last 360 I owned had a power supply that would shut down after 5 minutes of play until I placed a fan pointing directly at it to keep it cool for long game sessions.

So should I seek a replacement? Otherwise it's working fine.

I can't tell you that, but trust your instincts.

Personally, if it's something barely noticeable that I almost have to go out of my way to hear it, I'd assume that it's fine since there's a logical basis for some noise to be present. But if it's loud enough to be alarming, that isn't normal. Old 360's sound like a 747 at takeoff, but the power supply should be more or less silent.

It does have a built-in circuit breaker if that's of any comfort. Hopefully if something does go wrong, that will quickly cut the power.

Edited by Atariboy

My last one cut out when it over heated, and I'm assuming this one will do the same. There's been no other performance issues and yes, it's actually not noticeable unless you're listening for it. Thanks, Atariboy, for the help. Now, back to Borderlands 2....