IGNORED

Star Wars: Battlefront - why aren't I having fun?

Tickled_Pink

I guess the simple answer to that is that I don't like multiplayer FPS games. The strange thing is that I did enjoy the Beta. For some reason the full game is less fun. I guess the calibre of player is better than those I played with on the Beta but the action also seems much more frenetic somehow.

The one element I DO like is the starfighter battle mode. That's because I'm a lot better at that than the FPS, usually coming within the top 3 each time. But I'm not going to buy it just for that.

I've already reached Level 11 so the starfighter battles are at least putting me in a position where I can buy better gear for my FPS characters.

Because of the stupid random respawn locations in the beta, I hope the full game fixed that, I always hanged around at least three players after I spawned at a buddy. I did that while watching our flanks and back. Also shooting from the hip in the beta was more accurate, not the sniper weapon though, so aiming down the sights isn't worth it unless they changed that.

It's out already?

No. 17th. 10 hour trial with EA Access.

Because of the stupid random respawn locations in the beta, I hope the full game fixed that, I always hanged around at least three players after I spawned at a buddy. I did that while watching our flanks and back. Also shooting from the hip in the beta was more accurate, not the sniper weapon though, so aiming down the sights isn't worth it unless they changed that.

Not sure what you mean about random respawn locations. One of the biggest complaints was the lack of random respawn locations. There was a very finite set of spawn locations, leading to some players racking up kills by spawn camping. Unfortunately, despite the complaints, that hasn't been improved.

Shooting from the hip was something I never did with the Beta. I didn't realise until too late that it's how to play the game at close-ish quarters. I'm still having a hard time thinking in those terms and realising that it's just as accurate as firing with sights. I guess it's because there's virtually no recoil in laser weapons.

I think the random respawns refers to being unable to choose your spawn location as you can in all other Battlefield games. It's frustrating because you can't choose to spawn on your squad or at a critical location.

I was one of the many who were sorely underwhelmed with beta. It felt like an incredibly mediocre shooter wrapped in a pretty SW package. The actual game feels a lot different to me and I'm not sure why. I did a few of the single-player training missions yesterday and I really enjoyed them. The kid in me was grinning ear to ear as I heard the sound effects and music straight from the films. I still don't think it is even close to the quality of a Destiny or BF4 when it comes to shooting mechanics, but it feels much improved over beta.

• Like 2

I think the random respawns refers to being unable to choose your spawn location as you can in all other Battlefield games. It's frustrating because you can't choose to spawn on your squad or at a critical location.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Most of the time during walker assault in the beta it would respawn me quite a ways back from where I needed to be or in the middle of a squad of enemies. The old Battlefront, Battlefield too, games had bases and set respawn points. Without them the gameplay is too chaotic and hard to get your bearings since you don't know where you'll spawn.

Yeah. It is pretty chaotic. I think I may have enjoyed the Beta better because of the maps they used and the fact that there's only a couple of maps to learn. I haven't the patience to learn all the maps. There's also now an indicator in the HUD to tell you where the enemies are. To me, that's a backward step, which is a bit odd considering that I hate CoD because you need eyes in the back of your head. All it's done is ensure that everyone rushes to the same area on the map for a brawl. There's no time for tactics or a think about what you're going to do next.

The difficulty is also up on the Beta because all the extra weapons are unlockable. The Beta had a certain rhythm to it and the fact that everyone was pretty much on a level playing field in terms of capabilities helped to make it a more enjoyable experience. Now, everything's just crazy and some of the weapons are just mind blowingly destructive. That's taken much of the fun out of it.

So I won't be buying it. I love the starfighter multiplayer game and will be playing that for the last 5 hours or so I have of the trial but that won't be enough reason for me to fork out £40 or so for the full game.

It's crazy realistic looking, and very faithful to the source material.

I've had the super-duper version preordered for a long time and have been eagerly awaiting it. I love Star Wars, I love video games, and I really love Star Wars video games. Even if I only scratch the surface of it, like I did with the original Battlefront games, I will find enough to like here and have fun with it. In those games, I couldn't get enough of the space battles, which were the least-favorite for a lot of people. I think the dogfights in this game might be the same kind of thing. Running around in the snow and repeatedly getting shot in the back is less fun for me, somehow. I have faith in the developers that the season passes will provide enough content or at least enough scenery to make it worth my money and time.

If it's just too frustrating, I can always hide in SWTOR, which has been made easy enough for me to just cruise around and enjoy the story and graphics, which is a large part of why I'm there anyway.

In the meantime, I'll practice with the XBOX version until the timer runs out and I can play the version I bought on Playstation.

Of course, they'll probably drop Super Star Wars (the Super Nintendo game) on the PSN store on the same day, and there's a good chance that will suck up my attention instead.

I've read two early reviews, and both say pretty much the same thing: The game is fun, but not for very long. They cite the small number of maps and modes, the poor performance of early weapons (I noticed in beta that it takes entirely too many shots to kill someone), and the paltry single-player content. I can definitely see getting bored with the game as is relatively fast. The sights and sounds are awesome, but after a while it's the game play that matters.

I've been back and forth for a while, but I think I'll pass for now and wait for a sale or a GOTY edition. If Best Buy has a B2G1 sale like Target did sometime this holiday season I might make Battlefront my freebie.

Initially when you start playing its like "OMG I'M IN STAR WARS!!"

And then the reality of playing a multiplayer FPS sits in and begins to drag. I just couldn't get into it.

If it had a solo campaign\story and maybe space battles I would have bought this already.

They will probably be making anual sequels so I may skip it entirely. EA has locked the license for 10 fking years.

I ran SWBF and ROTJ back to back (thanks Disney Movies Anywhere for letting my Apple purchases run in the Amazon app on PS4!) and the game has significantly better lighting, framerate, and fidelity than the film. "OMFG I'M IN STAR WARS!!" is right, and it's as good as I remember the films being, which is better than it actually was!

There aren't battles in space, but the dogfighting scenarios are plenty amusing to me.

The on-ground stuff doesn't have the same appeal but I've discovered some cool things by sticking with it. It's not all about getting shot in the head from a distance, there are TIE fighters and Y-Wing bombers and all kinds of little things to find.

I ran SWBF and ROTJ back to back (thanks Disney Movies Anywhere for letting my Apple purchases run in the Amazon app on PS4!) and the game has significantly better lighting, framerate, and fidelity than the film. "OMFG I'M IN STAR WARS!!" is right, and it's as good as I remember the films being, which is better than it actually was!

There aren't battles in space, but the dogfighting scenarios are plenty amusing to me.

The on-ground stuff doesn't have the same appeal but I've discovered some cool things by sticking with it. It's not all about getting shot in the head from a distance, there are TIE fighters and Y-Wing bombers and all kinds of little things to find.

Please don't make me buy it. :P

I hope they make a GOTY edition and am curious to see what all the add ons (season pass) will be. Expensive game when you think about it.

Please don't make me buy it. :P

I don't buy many "AAA games" (yuck) so I was OK with holding my nose and splashing out $100+ for the super-deluxe version with rich Corinthian leather.

You don't have to buy this if you don't want it. There are plenty of good Star Wars games to play. If you don't buy this, and you like Star Wars, you are nonetheless obliged to do this list. All of these frequently go on sale for next to nothing if for some perverted reason you don't already have them. They're evergreen, still plenty of fun despite their age. A good game is always a good game!

Knights of the Old Republic (I like the mobile version, personally)

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (any platform will do)

Dark Forces (run it in the DarkXL engine for pretty graphics!)

TIE Fighter (get the GOG version, and plunk this soundtrack into the 1998 version so it sounds better while running with the best graphics and controls)

Personally, I'm wasting my life on Star Wars: Uprising (dumb Diablo-esque collectathon) and The Old Republic (dumb MMO recently renovated to be easier and faster to play).

If cherry-picked "feature lists" make you feel better, go for it. That one is from an "I hate Battlefront" site that seems very butthurt about the exclusion of "roger roger" droids and other prequel stuff.

No one is twisting your arm to buy it, and the price will almost certainly go down eventually. I don't think that will happen as quickly as it did with Titanfall (which SWBF resembles in some ways), but it certainly won't cost MORE to play it in a year or so.

My brother bought the game, and we spent some time playing it the other day. All I can say is I'm pretty bummed out that I waited 10 years for a sequel to Battlefront 2, and what I got was an anorexic version of Battlefield with Star Wars skin on. No space battles, no campaign, no galactic conquest, not a great selection of maps, boring game modes (Hunt on the Hoth map from Battlefront 2 is some of the most insane fun you can have split-screen), no ability to have tons of players on a map creating an epic-feeling battle... it's honestly almost insulting.

Yet another throw-away game engineered for the Call of Duty generation who can only stay focused on something if they can create "hilarious" lets-plays of them overreacting, swearing, or "MLG-ing" it up with totally rad montages bro. Of course I'm sure the DLC will be pouring forth from the excrement-crusted bowels of EA's studios soon enough, allowing you to actually have the gameplay that should have been in the blessed game in the first place for a moderate fee. I guess that's what makes money these days, but it certainly will not be convincing me to open my my wallet and let them have a single penny of my hard-earned money. What a load of refuse.

(Yes I am bitter about this.)

That list was made before the beta went live. Look at the vehicle part "None are confirmed playable". So they were already biased and looking for problems before launch. I wish there were more maps at launch, but the included maps have a high level of detail and must have taken a long time to craft. Battlefront games have always been multiplayer focused but I wish they would have included a bot mode at least, maybe in a future update they will. But this being EA, I doubt it.

Edited by xenomorpher

You can indeed play the vehicles, like the AT-AT and Scout Walkers. They're an integral part of the game. The Hoth "Walker Assault" map that was available for the Beta was impressive ... most impressive. It was a lot of fun as well. The other maps in the full game, not so much.

I finally got around to playing Titanfall on EA Access. Been sat on my hard drive for a few weeks. I really enjoyed it and for some reason it reminds me of the way that SW Battlefront plays.