IGNORED

Star Wars: Battlefront - why aren't I having fun?

Tickled_Pink

Been playing supremacy and I think it's more of the lesser chaotic modes. Really takes forever to unlock stuff and getting credits or whatever it's called. PSN had a 10% today so I decided to splurge for the season pass which I've never done before. Read that there will be more free maps which is good for those who don't want to buy the expansions.

Because compared to the original and Battlefront 2, it's a huge leap forward in graphics, but not game play. 40 players max? Planetside 2 has been out for years and allows hundreds of players on the same map. Plus, EA has likely held a lot back to be released later as paid DLC.

Yup that's the new thing, the base game is now a standard $60 among AAA publishers and the rest of it comes out the first year as a "Season pass". That's a lot of money for a game.

Nice Crimson Ghost (Misfits) avatar you got there.

Yup that's the new thing, the base game is now a standard $60 among AAA publishers and the rest of it comes out the first year as a "Season pass". That's a lot of money for a game.

Nice Crimson Ghost (Misfits) avatar you got there.

Thank you! I have a tattoo to match. I just wait until Steam does a sale and I can get a game and all DLC for $20. Sadly this isn't on Steam, but sooner or later sales will drop and EA will offer some kind of deal.

Funny as hell, though rated too high. Not trying to sound mean, but half the game isn't good. Therefore I don't think it should get a 5/10

Yeah, I was surprised he rated it that high as well. But honestly, the game is beautiful! However that hardly makes up for lack of content. Character customization is a joke. And it's clear that stuff from the prequel films and the new films will only show up as paid DLC. Honestly this should be free to play for having to install Origin on your PC!

• Like 2

I don't know a single person who is happy with this game. Once again, it looks like content was cut to be released as DLC. Real glad I did not pick this up.

Oh! Look on Youtube for the Angry Joe review of the game. Funny as hell.

As usual Joe's review is about 20 minutes too long, but it's spot on.

I'm just thankful I was able to play the trial thanks to EA Access. If not I would have been tempted to keep my pre-order despite the lackluster beta, and I would have been angry. I haven't been this disappointed by a game since Destiny first launched, but at least Destiny had incredibly game play.

Edited by WestofHouse
  • Like 1

Yeah. It is pretty chaotic. I think I may have enjoyed the Beta better because of the maps they used and the fact that there's only a couple of maps to learn. I haven't the patience to learn all the maps. There's also now an indicator in the HUD to tell you where the enemies are. To me, that's a backward step, which is a bit odd considering that I hate CoD because you need eyes in the back of your head. All it's done is ensure that everyone rushes to the same area on the map for a brawl. There's no time for tactics or a think about what you're going to do next.

This is pretty much word for word why I don't like playing multiplayer FPS games.

• Too chaotic (need to move squat jump constantly)
  • Don't have the time/patience to learn the maps
  • Don't like that you must have eyes in back of head
  • No time for any strategy

I only play these games if my friends organize a party or something and that never happens anymore. These are only fun if you are playing with other people who have the same level of experience with the game which for me is almost always zero to slim.

• Like 2

This is pretty much word for word why I don't like playing multiplayer FPS games.

• Too chaotic (need to move squat jump constantly)
  • Don't have the time/patience to learn the maps
  • Don't like that you must have eyes in back of head
  • No time for any strategy

I only play these games if my friends organize a party or something and that never happens anymore. These are only fun if you are playing with other people who have the same level of experience with the game which for me is almost always zero to slim.

Totally agree. In Destiny it was co-operative and most of the guys I played with were good people. I rarely played PVP. Destiny at least felt bad-ass to play (gameplay-wise). Whenever I jump back into it its like riding your favorite motorcycle or car "Damn this is sweet".

COD I play mainly during family/friend get together's and play the campaign modes on my own.

Battlefield is the worst IMO with so many players playing at once: Re-spawn, die. Re-spawn, die. Re-spawn, die. Re-spawn, die. Re-spawn, die.

Yeah really having fun with that. Nope not for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My relationship status with this game is set to "It's complicated." I basically have a love/hate relationship with it. I picked it up as my free choice in a Best Buy B2G1 sale and have been playing a lot this weekend. On one hand: Star Wars! On the other hand: laughably unbalanced weapons, paltry selection of maps, and a ridiculous spawn mechanic that ensures you'll spend more time running back toward the action than you will fighting.

I get so frustrated at the game play, but somehow I keep going back.

My relationship status with this game is set to "It's complicated." I basically have a love/hate relationship with it. I picked it up as my free choice in a Best Buy B2G1 sale and have been playing a lot this weekend. On one hand: Star Wars! On the other hand: laughably unbalanced weapons, paltry selection of maps, and a ridiculous spawn mechanic that ensures you'll spend more time running back toward the action than you will fighting.

I get so frustrated at the game play, but somehow I keep going back.

Yup. You nailed it.

I've actually been playing for the past 3 days now, having been allowed on it early. It's nothing more than 'spawn-run-die-spawn-run-die'. When even the best players on it die 20+ times a match, you know something's not right. Supremacy on Jakku sounds great on paper but it's just absolute and total chaos.

The availability of certain weapons also spoils it. Homing missiles and other one-shot-instant-kill weaponry? I swear that's all some players use. Hide somewhere away from the melee, target someone, fire, they die, you sit and wait for cooldown and go again. The number of times I've been killed by an enemy I can't target because they're too far away just isn't funny. You should have some way of defending yourself that doesn't involve running away and finding cover.

Just lately I've been playing a LOT of Titanfall. I generally hate FPS multiplayer games but with Titanfall, it's pretty much perfect and I think I know why. The mode I play most and do best at with Battlefront is Starfighter. One of the reasons for that is that there are AI ships flying around. This breaks things up and generally means that players can't just focus on killing other players. You can pick up easy points by killing AI. Titanfall is the same. The addition of AI characters makes it more survivable. That's what Battlefront is badly missing.

If you die barely 20 seconds after spawning each and every time, you're quickly going to get tired of a game.

When you reach a certain level, you can purchase an ability where you take less damage from explosives. You can upgrade it a few times where you take less damage from blasters. Kind of lame but there if you want it. That's what I've been saving for, though they should have had everyone on a more even playing field.

I have Battlefront 2 on my Windows 7 machine and I'm loving it outside the fact it closes to desktop when I have the conversion pack mod installed and try to reload my gun on Rhen Var Harbor.

Edited by xenomorpher

SWB has become a filler game for me -- a fun diversion in between serious gaming sessions. Unlike a game such as Destiny that offers a huge variety of weapons, armor and, skills, SWB isn't a game that could stay in my console for days at a time. It is still quite fun in those short sessions, though. And since Santa brought us a second XBO controller my daughter and I are enjoying the split-screen co-op survival missions. I give EA/Dice credit for including couch co-op, a feature all too rare in games these days.

Played it again yesterday and suddenly found myself actually killing people and staying in the game longer. I guess there weren't so many expert-level players in that game.

Probably a new flood of noobs that got this on Christmas. They'll Level up or quit in a couple weeks and everything goes back to "normal".

I think I'm getting a bit better, too. I got around 25 kills in a match yesterday. Of course I got killed around 25 times as well, but in this game if I'm anywhere close to a 1:1 KD ratio I consider that a huge success.

Given all the game's faults I'm surprised I'm enjoying it so much. I've been experimenting with different weapons and card hands. I still haven't found a favorite weapon, though, but judging how many times I'm OHK'd by the DL-44 I'm sure I'll warm up to it pretty fast once I unlock it.

My favorite mode now is Turning Point on Jakku. It seems to be pretty well balanced, and the map size and open spaces help mitigate the overpowered DL-44, which suffers from considerable damage drop-off at long range. The number of players involved make it hectic and fun.

I actually haven't played it for four days now. Not really missing it. Might give it an hour tonight.

Turning point has also become my favourite mode. I think the reason might be that it's based on a single map so it's pretty easy to figure out where you are. Not only that but the way that the front lines get pushed back means that you don't need eyes in the back of your head so much, although you have to watch out for players flanking you. That's actually how I get most of my kills - both by flanking players and looking out for players trying to flank my team. I let others become cannon fodder by making frontal assaults while I pick off enemy players who think they're being clever.

Not sure of the name of the weapon I tend to use. It fires a burst of three rounds at a time.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

• 2 weeks later...

The more I play it the more I like this game. I think my biggest problem with it initially is that my expectations are too high. I still get aggravated sometimes by the randomness of kills and spawns, but overall I find myself having a lot of fun. I'm also enjoying trying different load-outs and weapons. The bowcaster is just brutal.

I've also found that keeping an eye on challenges and trying to complete them makes the game more compelling; it forces me to do certain modes and use certain weapons.

Maybe someday I'll learn how to fly.

Initially when you start playing its like "OMG I'M IN STAR WARS!!"

And then the reality of playing a multiplayer FPS sits in and begins to drag. I just couldn't get into it.

If it had a solo campaign\story and maybe space battles I would have bought this already.

They will probably be making anual sequels so I may skip it entirely. EA has locked the license for 10 fking years.

Found the same. First game I officially bought for the XBox One I got for Christmas. Found myself running around in the snow, getting lost, and hoping to find something to shoot at. Should try again, but it really didn't make a great first impression.

For that matter, it also reminded me of how much I detest some aspects of online gaming. I popped it in and had to download a fracken update that was huge before I could play it. Several times I thought it was ready to go, only to get an error (damn convoluted Xbox One user experience). Then I had to sign in and forgot my password. Then the password reset took forever to appear.

Only to run around in the snow, looking for something to shoot at.

Gone are the days of popping in a game and just playing.

Edited by DracIsBack

• 4 weeks later...