IGNORED

Pulling out Jaguar carts with the power on

atari2600land

I accidentally one day pulled out a Game Boy Advance cartridge with the power on on my Game Boy Player. I thought it had said it was safe to switch cartridges when in fact it wasn't. I got a message saying not to do this because it might harm the cartridge. That's the reason I ask. That, and there doesn't seem to be a thing in the cart slot to "lock" it into place if the power gets turned on (like a Game Boy or something.) I guess this could be true for any cartridge-based system. The reason I asked here is because I'm currently on a Jaguar kick. So, what would happen if I pulled out a Jaguar cartridge while the power was still on? Would it damage the system or the cart or both?

There are some people on youtube who intentionally pull cartridges out of certain old systems to see what kind of glitches might result. I've seen it done with sonic on sega genesis.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that anything cool ever happens. Either the game plays like normal, or there are a few pieces of corrupted graphics that are never that interesting, or else the game doesn't boot up.

On the other hand, it was kind of cool to slightly pull a gamegear cartridge out of a gamegear back in the day, because if one of the cartridge contacts on the side did not connect, the gamegear would switch to "master system mode" where it would change the screen resolution and maybe the palette, while leaving the game fully playable. Was kind of cool to mess around with if you're a bored kid in the 90s :)

Edited by sirlynxalot

I confess, I did it a few times, especially at the red screen of death when in anger at the umpteenth attempt.

But I normally do not put them back in (no hot-swap per se).

Another thing I noticed is that if I tilt the Jag carts the unit sometimes reboots (you can actually see the power led go off and back on), many times it is not exactly intentional, other times (red screen of death) "jiggle'n'tilt" seems to do the trick.

I don't have a NES toaster to compare, but of all cart based consoles I have the Jag is the only one that is very temperamental with the slot (maybe the Saturn can reach those levels, but given it's a CD system once the AR4in1 works it's settled for a few months at a time).

Edited by phoenixdownita

Apparently it is SO inconvenient to just hit the power button before swapping carts. :roll:

Not about inconvenience, but about 20th+ attempt desperation, at that point you only want it to start playing even if that would cost you a fried console .... you're already mad enough that you could eat a battery and fart a lightning bolt.

I accidentally one day pulled out a Game Boy Advance cartridge with the power on on my Game Boy Player. I thought it had said it was safe to switch cartridges when in fact it wasn't. I got a message saying not to do this because it might harm the cartridge. That's the reason I ask. That, and there doesn't seem to be a thing in the cart slot to "lock" it into place if the power gets turned on (like a Game Boy or something.) I guess this could be true for any cartridge-based system. The reason I asked here is because I'm currently on a Jaguar kick. So, what would happen if I pulled out a Jaguar cartridge while the power was still on? Would it damage the system or the cart or both?

I wouldn't do it. There's too few Jaguars out there.

Having said that, you can hot swap 5200 cartridges in a 5200. I still don't like doing that though.