IGNORED

Anybody Want To Send Me A Birthday Present?

Eric7100

They just built an IKEA by me. Until now, the closest was in Chicago? I've only been too IKEA once and it was in Phoenix. I should go, however my long term plan is to build my own custom shelving.

My loose cart shelves are 100% IKEA. I forget the name (not Billy) but it has shelf peg holes for the entire height. And they sold additional shelves fairly cheap. Of course when you have enough shelves to positively stuff a 7 foot high bookshelf with 2600 carts, it's not cheap in the end. But they work remarkably well - as you move things around, just adjust the shelves to whatever needs to fit. And depth-wise, they're only about an inch or 2 deeper than an NES cart. No wasted space. I'm all about the density when it comes to storing this stuff. A regular Billy is missing peg holes in places, and it damned deep. You end up with a lot of empty space.

These end up being the centerpiece of the collection. The rest is scavenged shelving from a couple of decades of grabbing what I can. Eric's right - while an $80 bookshelf may seem not bad on its own, you need quite a lot of them to build a sizeable collection. If I had EVERYTHING in my fancy adjustable shelves, I'd be in for a couple thousand bucks in shelving. That's plain silly. Instead, I have a lot of $5 garage sale pickups.

Cheap is relative, however if you own a $5-10k collection and want to display it nicely there really aren't many 'cheap' options. I looked into simply buying cheap 'common board' or Poplar from the hardware store. 1" thick by 6" deep. I'd still have to sand and maybe paint it. All said and done the cost was getting close to buying cheap shelving...with more work involved but also more customized. I'm with Freewheel on minimizing wasted space, especially shelf depth. I'm still using $10-20 yard sale shelving, but it doesn't match and it's not efficient. I just end up filling the extra empty space with more crap. Ideally I'd go modular and just expand as I acquire more core items. Someday.

• 5 months later...

I sent him an empty ABPA Backgammon box for his loose cart. I didn't have the manual or overlays so I added some reproduction ones to get him by. If anyone has an extra set with a manual you can send them to him and help complete another homeless Intellivision cart :)

• Like 1