• Jaguar (Classic Mode)
  8. 8. Pac-Man

• 8-Bit
  9. 9. Pole Position

• 8-Bit
  10. 10. Space Invaders

• 8-Bit

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I sometimes wonder, when playing an arcade game on my Atari, "What is the ultimate home version of this game that was a regular release for an Atari console?"

Thats what this poll is about. Here are the rules, feel free to ignore them if you are so inclined

-Please only vote if you've played more than one release

-If it's a 5200 game, and control is part of the problem, then assume the gameplay is under best circumstances (ie with masterplay and a joystick, or with a trackball)

I'd like to do a few more rounds of this, so please suggest some games to do next. Preferably big arcade hits that were ported to two or more Atari systems.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing what people think are the definitive versions of some of these classic games

(PS-and I know some great homebrews exist of these titles, but in the interest of simplicity i'm sticking to original releases for now.)

***If i'm missing any ports let me know

Edited by travistouchdown

Very cool. Any game suggestions for round 2?

Thanks. It was a coin toss for me for Missle Command as I enjoy both the 2600 and 5200 version. The 5200 gets the narrow edge cause of being able to play with the trak ball controller. Here is some games suggestions for the second round.

Dig Dug

Joust

Mario Bros.

Robotron 2084

Moon Patrol

It is worth owning a 7800 just for Asteroids and Centipede.

How about Donkey Kong Junior and Crossbow.

The 7800 is worth owning for Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Robotron 2084, Crossbow, Ms. Pac-Man, Xevious, and also a lot of great homebrews are released for it. And the XM if you have an early made model 7800. A great investment and a must have in your game room.

• Like 1

Very cool. Any game suggestions for round 2?

Dark Chambers (2600, 7800, XEGS)

Ballblazer (5200, 7800, XEGS)

Realsports Baseball (2600, 5200, 7800)

Star Raiders (2600, 5200, 400/800)

Ms. Pac-Man (2600, 5200, 7800, 400/800)

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

Atari 2600 Supercharger version of Frogger easily! Have to lookup many of these A8 games as I've simply forgotten how they look/sound. Can't believe there's no background music in A8 or 5200 Frogger!? :-o

Asteroids is another tough one. 7800 for 'definitive' I'd say, but the 2600 version is so damned classic. While I don't really care to actually play the 2600 version myself, even I can admit i's a damned good port for what it was at the time. Centipede, Missile Command and Space Invaders too. Better versions "maybe" on the other systems (great animation on 5200 Centipede), but the 2600 versions all have their own charms. Space Invaders sucks on the A8/5200, so yep... have to go with 2600 on some of these. lol

-edit-

Reviewing some of the vids on the A8/5200, reminds me that I'm really not a fan of either machine(s). Blasphemy, I know. Just not enough of a leap from the 2600 for me. Oh and if you're going to lump Galaxian and Galaga together, may as well do the same for the A8/5200. :grin:

AND now... with the added analog trakball support for Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, etc. 2600 versions are *that* much better than the competition!

Atari 2600 Supercharger version of Frogger easily! Have to lookup many of these A8 games as I've simply forgotten how they look/sound. Can't believe there's no background music in A8 or 5200 Frogger!? :-o

I know...I really wanted to include this version but since it's on a crazy peripheral and cassette deck decided to omit it. I may have to get a harmony cart just so I can play it. It's too bad it can't be "repro'd" on a 2600 cart because I think there is a real demand for it and otherwise people don't know how great it is just because it's so scarce.

Both the A8 and 5200 (with Masterplay) versions of frogger are pretty great, but the no background music kills me as well! It was such a part of the experience of the arcade game..

Thanks for taking the time to vote!

This is a fun poll. Do you feel like opening it up beyond the Atari versions?

Eventually for sure. I think I am going to do 4 or so "Atari exclusive" rounds (because that's what I want to know first,) and then do an all console round. It does make things complicated. The Colecovision throws a big wrench in the works..