IGNORED

Just Sell Me the Homebrew ROM with PDF Manual

VectorGamer

60 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to buy a homebrew ROM, you would play it...

• on multicart
    • in emulation
    • both

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As far as I know, you can't put ROMs on a flash cart from an iPad...

You could if you jailbreak iOS6 and had the camera connection kit.

Since iOS 7 onward they've removed access to FAT formatted cards and use their own routine to pull picture data off camera cards.

It sure was nice when they just mounted like a flash drive.

And with my iPad I can still download, upload and most of the things a desktop computer can do.

• Like 1

You could if you jailbreak iOS6 and had the camera connection kit.

Since iOS 7 onward they've removed access to FAT formatted cards and use their own routine to pull picture data off camera cards.

It sure was nice when they just mounted like a flash drive.

And with my iPad I can still download, upload and most of the things a desktop computer can do.

So you can't "mount" and external flash card? That blows. Why do people keep buying these devices if Apple continues to remove useful features? $600 iPad that places the user in a protected walled offf cubicle, or a $400 MS laptop where you can download and install literally anything you want. Those MS netbook / tablets are looking pretty attractive by comparison...

• Like 1

So you can't "mount" and external flash card? That blows. Why do people keep buying these devices if Apple continues to remove useful features? $600 iPad that places the user in a protected walled offf cubicle, or a $400 MS laptop where you can download and install literally anything you want. Those MS netbook / tablets are looking pretty attractive by comparison...

Mac formatted media mounts just fine, but Mac format will not work for Linux systems, ARM systems like Raspberry Pi, thumb drives to play clips or movies on TV... they all want FAT32.

I've always and still do run jailbroken devices. My iPhones and iPads run emulators and ROMs I download from AtariAge and elsewhere.

Retroarch is getting really good.

Intellivision is tough, but it emulates well on the PSP emulator, believe it or not.

I still want to figure out how to get MSX / ColecoVision to run the larger Pac Man Collection and SGM content.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go with the "Just sell me the ROM & PDF" crowd too.. I love CIB releases and all but I can't always afford them. Cart only and Rom, etc. are worthwhile options to consider. I hope to see more homebrew ROM releases in the future since I use a flashcarts, they never usually leave the cartridge port. It saves wear and tear, plus its convenient. :-)

Boy you said it. I'm quite set on playing on emulators/multi carts with an X-arcade for my gamepad of choice. Its the perfect combo. Was lucky enough to grab both DK2Arcade and Ms Pacman both digital (with sexy pdfs.) for Intelivision. Thats when I sort of realized the box and manual aren't all that, theyre nice but rom+pdf is perfect to me. Ofcourse sometimes I don't mind buying physical for stuff like the SGM, and even if I had buyers remorse about a few games on various systems I'm sure i could sell them for atleast what I payed for them. But yeah I'm the same - a few days after i have the box and manual for a game they sort of just get in the way and all I really care about are the games themselves.

I always like to see a new game come out on cartridge first, and then some time later a ROM & PDF. This method has real benefits. The programmer can make some money. Collectors get their jollies. I get to play a game for little or no cost. The programmer/publisher is looked upon with favor and generosity. The game never falls into oblivion - no limited edition bullshit. No rush to buy

There are rare cart-only limited edition games out there that I'm certain I'll never play. I can't name them because I kinda forgot what they were. And that's ok. I've got 500,000 others to pick from. And if someone were to show me a cool kick-ass rare game in person I'd be like:

Me: After playing arbitrary game for 1/2 hour. Ohh boy!! Can I get that?

Guy: No.

Me: Why?

Guy: Not sold any more.

Me. Well what about ROMZ?

Guy: Not been dumped. Not been made available.

Me: Ohh.. Ok. Well forget that then what else can we play with?

I forget about it and ask the guy to pull something else out. Guy fishes through his collection for some time and pulls out a flash cart or boots up emulator.

Me: Ok. What's this?

Guy: This is something really cool. You gotta try it out!

Me: Ohh wow! I like it!

Guy: Yup.. They did a nice job. Check out the attention to detail.

Me: I can see that. And hear it too.

Guy: Well here if you liked that now try this..

Me: Hours later. Hey it's getting late. Where can I buy these or get them?

Guy: Go to this website. You can get a cartridge or since I know you like emulators you can get a ROM & PDF.

Me: Ohh fuck'n A man that's awesome.

Guy: You can get support and report bugs and talk to the programmer.

Me: That's just really cool.

..and that is just fantastic! These are games that'll be remembered and played over and over again. Right now all you homebrewers and emulator authors are on my gratitude list. At which some point in the future will be converted to a gift list.

Because Apple.

Yah.. about that.. MS and Linux are king when it comes to device interoperability and interfacing, pushing files around and organizing things. You want nothing but.

Mac OS X can also read and write FAT32 (not sure if they can format them tho, but who sell non-formatted support those days?).

I never had any trouble moving files between my Windows laptop and my Mac Mini on USB stick and use my Android smartphone in external drive mode on the Mini either.

Now, iStuff devices, I do not know and doesn't want.

As a side I have tried to interest people in making a wrapper for Stella for Android devices. There's another homebrew programmer trying to get something similar going for sega genesis.

I think selling games through the various online stores (Google Play, Apple Store, etc..) is one way everyone can win.

Do you mean porting over games to Android by having the emulators within the APK of the games? For an example, I buy Space Rocks and it is just Space Rocks because the emulator is within the game?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party discussion but I'd go along with the rom being for purchase (or for free :) ) after a certain timeframe. If there will be no more carts available ever for a certain game, what's the damage to releasing the rom for it? There's always going to be people who want the full package. I for one only get the cart/box/manual on games that really interest me but I'm not averse to trying out or paying less for a rom for a game I may not be as interested in.

• Like 1

... CollectorVision doesn't want to do another run of either of these games so that the games will hold value for collectors.

Where did you take that?!

That's totally untrue!

can't believe what I'm reading here..... :roll:

We always been up to make another run but programmer don't want to

He also said he don't want to release the rom

So it's not always our call

keep that in mind

Now as for rom release

That's something we're doing for awhile now....and it's completely FREE

• Like 1

That's totally untrue!

keep that in mind

Now as for rom release

And I replied to the original post with this info. :

Re: ColecoVision Ghosts and Zombies.

The author admits it has bugs, and has corrected them and changed enough of the game for a new release.

A. It will play better.

B. It will not be Ghosts and Zombies so those rare copies are still rare.

Maybe he will allow this new version to be sold as a ROM or free ROM? PDF manuals?

That's totally untrue!

With all due respect, I have visited your site multiple times, and the overwhelming majority of your games, especially those that I may have interest in purchasing, are out of stock. Maybe it's too much effort to do further runs; I honestly don't know.

I see a website selling homebrews where if you aren't in the loop and ready to buy with credit card or paypal in hand, the moment the game drops, you can forget about owning them. To the uninformed, or those of us who casually view the items for sale, or who wait for reviews before sinking money into games, it it too late.

Basically what I see is an online archive of games I can't have. You really seem to be catering to the collector, rather than the gamer. Albert stocks nearly everything, all the time. I don't know how he does it, but I have purchased dozens of homebrews from the AA store, whether just released or ten years old, yet I don't own a single collectorvision release.

While I would love to purchase a couple of titles, it seems either I can't, or would have to take a gamble on something I may not like, in hopes I may be able to trade it for one I want down the road.

Tiny Knight is definitely on my radar, but your two previous SNES titles are sold out. Sydney Hunter and Justice Beaver appear to be exclusively available to those who originally contributed to the crowdfunding campaigns. No option for people to get their hands on a copy for sale after the fact. Will Tiny Knight ever be available to the public on SNES cart, or is there some secret preorder crowdfund I need to contribute to?

Confused... :???:

With all due respect, I have visited your site multiple times, and the overwhelming majority of your games, especially those that I may have interest in purchasing, are out of stock. Maybe it's too much effort to do further runs; I honestly don't know.

I see a website selling homebrews where if you aren't in the loop and ready to buy with credit card or paypal in hand, the moment the game drops, you can forget about owning them. To the uninformed, or those of us who casually view the items for sale, or who wait for reviews before sinking money into games, it it too late.

Basically what I see is an online archive of games I can't have. You really seem to be catering to the collector, rather than the gamer. Albert stocks nearly everything, all the time. I don't know how he does it, but I have purchased dozens of homebrews from the AA store, whether just released or ten years old, yet I don't own a single collectorvision release.

While I would love to purchase a couple of titles, it seems either I can't, or would have to take a gamble on something I may not like, in hopes I may be able to trade it for one I want down the road.

Tiny Knight is definitely on my radar, but your two previous SNES titles are sold out. Sydney Hunter and Justice Beaver appear to be exclusively available to those who originally contributed to the crowdfunding campaigns. No option for people to get their hands on a copy for sale after the fact. Will Tiny Knight ever be available to the public on SNES cart, or is there some secret preorder crowdfund I need to contribute to?

Confused... :???:

Our website is currently being completely redone so people will be able to buy games directly from our website

When publishing games, we usually have the rights to make a certain quantity (usually more than enough)

Although, many games are STILL available to purchase

Yet, I admit our current website is cleatly not designed for this yet (soon, it will) and may not reflect this

Our SNES games are all STILL available to purchase, again ... We're waiting for our new website design so people will be able to order any games they want

• Like 1

Our website is currently being completely redone so people will be able to buy games directly from our website

When publishing games, we usually have the rights to make a certain quantity (usually more than enough)

Although, many games are STILL available to purchase

Yet, I admit our current website is cleatly not designed for this yet (soon, it will) and may not reflect this

Our SNES games are all STILL available to purchase, again ... We're waiting for our new website design so people will be able to order any games they want

Let me know when you get it done. I'm wasn't trying to be negative. Just an observation that it seems as though everything is limited. I may have to pick up some games sometime... ;-)

It really is amazing. I remember a time when all NES homebrews were NROM and basically played like simple Atari games. Now we have full blown games that impress just as much as period releases. Just a couple years ago SNES homebrew was almost non-existant. And it literally blows my mind what people are doing with Atari these days... :cool:

Let me know when you get it done. I'm wasn't trying to be negative. Just an observation that it seems as though everything is limited. I may have to pick up some games sometime... ;-)

It really is amazing. I remember a time when all NES homebrews were NROM and basically played like simple Atari games. Now we have full blown games that impress just as much as period releases. Just a couple years ago SNES homebrew was almost non-existant. And it literally blows my mind what people are doing with Atari these days... :cool:

No worries, you're completely right about it :thumbsup:

We received alot of similar messages during the past year

Right now, the best way to follow us is on our facebook page at: facebook.com/collectorvision

That's totally untrue!

keep that in mind

Now as for rom release

I know that's the case for Ghosts N Zombies (or whatever it's called) but what about Starcom? Didn't you previously say that was a limited release because you guys wanted to raise money for upcoming projects? If that's the case then why not release the ROM on your www?

I know that's the case for Ghosts N Zombies (or whatever it's called) but what about Starcom? Didn't you previously say that was a limited release because you guys wanted to raise money for upcoming projects? If that's the case then why not release the ROM on your www?

There's more than Starcom not being available as rom file on our website

That's because we're waiting for our new website design

Once the new website is ready, we'll post another set of rom files

• 1 month later...

Just saying, regarding buying ROM's:

I bought D2K for Intellivision, $70 cart boxed, then saw his original DK had the Japanese logical screen order of 1, 2, 3, 4 that I like to play that way - barrels, cement factory, elevators, blue rivets & player saves the captured girl, Kong falls, repeat.

So I bought the $20 DK ROM because DK cart selling was years ago, and the only way I could play it was to purchase the ROM.

Next I bought the $20 D2K ROM to use in emulation, because I found myself using the ROM more than the actual cartridge.

Found a kind collector that purchased multiple copies of DK and was kind enough to sell one to me!

Then I bought the $70 Intv. Ms Pac Man boxed cartridge from the artist who programmed it.

By this time every ROM is now on permanent sale for $10, so I bought Ms Pac Man ROM for $10.

I'm nowhere near rich, or even in the black, and maybe crazy, but if the game is good enough to buy on cartridge and appreciate the instructions, overlays and artwork, then it is good enough to buy again if offered as a ROM.

So that's around $260 from me to one programmer artist for 3 great games in both physical and digital format.

"And my ROMs have my name in the title screen! I'm easily impressed!"

Only other personalized cart I have that has on the Title Screen, "Serial Number 0006" "This cart has been custom produced. This one is for you: (my name)" is Vecmania from John Dondzilla, and has Star Wars Arcade-like, Repulse, Phoenix-like, Asteroids-like, Missile Command-like, Space Invaders-like, and two unfinished games Tempest-like and Discs of Tron-like.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll toss in another vote for having a digitial download option available for homebrews that the author chose to never publicly release a free version of, or for new releases that haven't been made freeware yet. The ones that come to mind for me are:

Chetiry

Epic Adventure

Haunted Adventure Trilogy

Star Castle Arcade

Zippy the Porcupine

I'd be happy to pay a fair price to have these games alongside all my other homebrews on a Harmony cart, and be able put the ROMs on handheld systems to emulate on the go. :)