IGNORED

Power supplies

gladders

All desktop Amigas from the 500 to the 1200 have the same pinout and voltages. The lighter, switched mode power supplies to later Amiga 500 and the 500+ are rated for slightly higher effect than the previous as well as later suppies, so back in the day some Amiga 1200 users preferred to use a 500 supply as it would give a little extra juice for your power hungry expansions.

• 2 weeks later...

To piggyback on this discussion; I have an A1200 with an ACA 1231 expansion (68030, 42Mhz, 64MB) which came with a custom power supply from Amigakit. Now, it works fine, but the fan in the PSU is ridiculously loud.

I *also* have an A600 power supply which seems to work fine with the expanded A1200 - it will run AGA games via WHDLoad, etc. Will this cause problems if I continue to use it?

Edited by Laner

Laner wrote:

> I have an A1200 with an ACA 1231 expansion (68030, 42Mhz, 64MB) which came with a custom power supply from Amigakit. Now, it works fine, but the fan in the

> PSU is ridiculously loud.

Why don't you replace the fan with a quieter one?

> I *also* have an A600 power supply which seems to work fine with the expanded A1200 - it will run AGA games via WHDLoad, etc. Will this cause problems if I

> continue to use it?

Hmm, a bit under-powered but if you are not having any problems (like no boot-up or partial boot-up) with that combo, then you are good.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Laner wrote:

> I have an A1200 with an ACA 1231 expansion (68030, 42Mhz, 64MB) which came with a custom power supply from Amigakit. Now, it works fine, but the fan in the

> PSU is ridiculously loud.

Why don't you replace the fan with a quieter one?

The power supply does not have a typical 3 pin fan connector - the existing fan leads are soldered directly into the board, and my soldering skills are non-existent. And I had the A600 supply readily available. But I may look for someone to do the mod eventually. Thanks for weighing in!

The power supply does not have a typical 3 pin fan connector - the existing fan leads are soldered directly into the board, and my soldering skills are non-existent. And I had the A600 supply readily available. But I may look for someone to do the mod eventually. Thanks for weighing in!

Wire cutters and electrical tape it is, then! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly the -12V is on the weak side with the picoPSU. I read the manual, and it states it has a max load of 0.05A with peak at 0.1A, while original Amiga power supplies are rated for 0.1A on that signal. The difference is hair thin though, and frankly I don't know what the Amiga uses the -12V for. The specs for +5V and +12V are more than enough. I take it you made some internal modification or pull out a cable to connect to the power input on the motherboard?

I take it you made some internal modification or pull out a cable to connect to the power input on the motherboard?

I put a standard wall-wart dc jack next to the joystick ports, and wired the psu outputs directly to the original psu's input (so that original jack still works as well.) I wanted it to be minimally invasive. I use a beefy 1V 3A laptop power brick to supply voltage.