IGNORED

I'll buy Fallout 4 in the Bargain Bin

Gemintronic

With Fallout I wait for the GOTY/Ultimate editions and I let their price drop some. That way I get the games after they are patched and with all of their additional content. So I completed Fallout 3 and all of its DLC. That took me 150 hours over a period of 2 years. It cost me $30 brand new. Now that I'm wrapping up the end of Dawnguard in Skyrim I am ready to start Fallout New Vegas. I have the ultimate edition and it cost me $15 brand new. I always complete these games and they always take me around 2 years to finish so I anticipate the GOTY edition of Fallout 4 will be available by the time I'm done with New Vegas.

Honestly I don't buy any new games. My backlog is too big to justify it. By the time I play a game it can be had for $15 - $20. I was looking at these shrink-wrapped $15 games I paid $60 for and I realized my gaming budget could go a lot further if I just stopped buying new games.

• Like 3

Years back, i purchased Fallout 3 on Day 1 on PS3..bugged to the nines.

Waited until the GOTY edition arrived on 360, picked that up, downloaded latest patches and i had to lose hours and reload a previous save on the Mother Ship Zeta DLC as game had glitched out and events would'nt proceed.

Since then, i've never bought a game like this, until months have passed..

Only now purchased Fallout:N.V, will be ages before i start playing.

Went through Skyrim on 360, did'nt think it was all that, had Oblivion with all the DLC on PS3, but the stealth missions never worked, i just ran through the areas.....

So i'm with Travistouchdown...

At this moment in time i could not even say i'll be buying a PS4 or XB1 for anything, let alone Fallout 4.

These massive day 1 patches followed by more patches have just killed any interest in current gen gaming stone dead.

Hype, plus game still broken after patch...nah, i'll wait ta....

Edited by Lost Dragon

I've been slowing down on my Xbox 360 purchases right now and actually playing the games. Perish the thought..but my last purchase was Fallout: New Vegas "Gamestop Exclusive" edition with all the DLC packs. I actually prefer this one over the original Fallout 3 (also a "Gamestop exclusive"). Probably because I'm favoring the 9 mm over my other guns I have with me. But the plasma gun comes in as a close second.

I bought Skyrim on release day for the 360 because I love the Elder Scrolls series, then I later bought it for PC. Maybe I'm just the luckiest guy, but I never came across any of the bugs other people were struck with. I've never liked the Fallout games as much, primarily because I prefer to be immersed in a gameworld that looks better than the one I live in, not more depressing. That being said, the Fallout series has produced unique gameplay and pretty excellent adventures.

Fallout 3 I enjoyed after I installed some mods to clear up the bland colour palette and added some foliage (along with gameplay and texture improvements). I was initially looking forward to Fallout 4, even though I knew that as with most Bethesda games the first few months would have bugs and such. After watching my brother play it for awhile, I must admit I am underwhelmed. No karma system, weird changes to how skills work, your character suddenly has a voice, and perhaps the worst sin of all: it feels Bethesda cut story and quest content in favour of foisting the settlement aspect of the game on players. Again, I have never been one to run to the Fallout series with open arms but I still generally enjoyed them. Once Fallout 4 comes down in price and the modding community has really had a chance to take-off, I'll definitely be giving it a try. Until then, I have many other games demanding my attention.

My full thoughts here:

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/11/19/fallout-4-bargain-bin/

Basically, no game is complete or stable nowadays. I'd rather get it later. Anyone feel the same?

I bought Shovel Knight physical for 20 euro and am very happy. nice Manual, DRM-dree installer on disk and even a steam key for the idiots who actually like DRM. Nothing to complain about. If People would just buy games like that, and not buy games that are full of bugs and DRM developers would definitely deliver. But you know. Millions of morons buying crappy games makes it so that all big companies won't give a damn.

Bethesda's last decent game was morrowind anyway. It's not like they didn't stop caring a Long time ago. And it's not like they ever knew how to make an actual Videogame. So not an instance where we really should care.

• Like 1

@theloon - I feel you but in this case I disagree. I'm not usually an early adopter on big, buggy AAA titles but I've been playing on PS4 since day one and haven't had a single problem yet.

@leods - I've seen many of your posts and I don't remember you ever saying anything positive about anything. I guess that's beside the point here, but "Bethesda never knew how to make a video game"? wth are you talking about?

• Like 1

Even though I don't have an Xbox One, I was following this game over time..and for some of the responses left me underwhelmed. It certainly made me answer the question: Would you buy an Xbox One for this game? I would have to say "no" at the moment. I usually don't buy consoles for their hyped game premier, but "back in the day" when the Genesis was released, it came packed in with Sonic (of course) but also Starflight, which was the clincher for me as I loved the idea of "flying a spaceship" and commanding a crew.

I really didn't have a "favorite" game when I purchased the Xbox 360 awhile back, but if it was one game that influenced my decision, it would have had to been Bioshock.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that comment as well, that "Behesda never knew how to make an actual video game". I'll have to disagree with you there, Leod. Morrowind was a great game, but I also enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim as well, so the entire series was a favorite of mine for many years. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas also top my list from this company, along with Doom/Doom II/Doom 3.

Edited by wolfpaw1966
  • Like 2

"Bethesda never knew how to make a video game"? wth are you talking about?

Never seen a game from them with actual decent combat, balanced gameplay, depth in decision making etc.. Their games are beautiful and arguably have good Story. Actual gameplay is a mess. Too many western developers never went through the Trouble of actually learning about actual games. So they spend millions of dolars making a huge game and if you take out the graphics it's just blah...

And I spent hundreds of hours on Morrowind and Oblivion. But at some Point you have to realyze what a waste of time These Walking Simulators are, specially when they just make the same game over and over again.

• Like 1

What's your experience with PS4 and Fallout 4? Just looking for more data points :)

Surprisingly I haven't had major issues either. No hang ups at all and just once I had a white room with no graphics when I opened a door. It filled in when I took a step. Weird. So far nothing crazy or breaking on PS4. There's two "good" glitches though that will be patched soon. An infinite bottle caps glitch and a thing with the dog grabbing stuff from locked cases (he'll fetch the locked up cryo gun at the start of the game).

Nude mods are probably already out there so maybe the PC version is the best way to go. :P

• Like 1

My full thoughts here:

Basically, no game is complete or stable nowadays. I'd rather get it later. Anyone feel the same?

With an extremely rare exception on obscure low print games that I actually look forward to (haven't had any in a couple years that fit that bill!) this is how I always do it nowadays. I generally wait at least 3-4 months after launch before I go to pick up a game as that's how long it takes publishers to slow-drip the DLC out (Since they've realised at some point that posting all 50-90 dollars of pre-done DLC on launch day drives away customers. Better to make them think there isn't any until it's too late!) I presume by then they'll have any game breaking bugs ironed out, and if they don't... well, I still ain't touching the game.

My full thoughts here:

Oh I agree 100%! When it comes to PC games I would rather wait until all the bugs are worked out and Steam puts it on sale for $4.99 with all DLC included.

Funny, I've been playing Battlefront more lately than Fallout 4. It's the quickest game I've played so far in regards to joining a match. Pretty expensive though for what content you're getting though. Haven't tried any of the Fallout 4 mods yet. I'll probably give some a go when I get off work tomorrow. The dialog one looks great.

New Vegas had worse bugs IMO mainly on console. The old game Daggerfall was probably the worst of all but that was back in the horrific DOS days:

config.sys

autoexec.bat

Maybe my version of NV is newer, because so far (crosses fingers) I haven't run across any bugs. And I loved DOS. lol :)

Question time:

1. Am I the only person on the planet not remotely interested in Fallout 4 and probably never will be? In pretty much the same way I am not interested in watching any of the Harry Potter movies?

2. Am I the only person on the planet never to have played 1, 2 or 3? Or Harry Potter 1, 2 and all the way up to HP 12?

3. Am I the only person on the planet sick and f***ing tired of zombie games?

• Like 1

I never played Fallout besides a couple hours of one for the PS2.

I think I watched a bit of one of HP movies, because it was on TV, I'd never go out of my way to watch that.

I don't give a damn about Zombie games, I'm not even tired of them, cause I didin't Play many at all.

I do have Fallout 3 on my xbox 360, not sure if I bought it on the cheap or got it on the games with Gold program. Fact is, sometimes I think about playing it. But when I think about all the Walking around, and how boring and repetitive Bethesda games are I just don't even start. I go Play somehting else that actually feels like I'm playing a Videogame, where I can hone my skills and have fun playing, and not Walking around gor hours doing the same things I've already done in other games anyway..

But I have to admit. I'd love to see These games well done. Because with good combat, good Level design and good Story this would be great. I kinda liked Borderlands. Not amazing, but that was fun for over 20 hours. That's great. But that game was not an empty desert... And it even actually had Level design! wow.

So if fallout offered me that I'd Play it.