IGNORED

Sony enabled PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS4 without telling anyone

The Star Wars games are out so some people knew about it, I made a comment about it here.

I was impressed by the emulation for the SNES game so I think the quality will be really good.

Three options:

They will most likely be sold on the store as downloads like it is on the PS3 for $5-$10 bucks a game.

They will be sold on the store as enhanced versions with upscaling/trophy support etc probably for a bit more money.

They will be sold on the store (either of the above) plus the option to play the original disk. (Best scenario).

Yeah. Article is rife with sheer conjecture. Sony is not likely to allow emulation like later PS3 models. More like a paltry selection of Sony blessed titles.

Essentially, for all intents and purposes there isn't any backwards compatibility planned in the traditional sense where you'd be able to take your PS2 disc and pop it in and play it. This would explain why they didn't bother announcing it, if it's only purpose is to make it easier and cheaper for them to port old PS2 titles to their store for you to buy. ie: exactly like the later PS3 models.

So I guess this means when PS2 titles start becoming available, expect them to have the occasional quirks and not play quite as nicely as they did on the PS2 - but expect to pay the same price as before or more. Wake me up when they announce that you can pop ps2 discs into the system and play them.

• Like 5

The fact People would buy a digital game on PS4 for more Money than it would cost to buy the actual PS2 disk in box with Manual just blows my mind... But yeah. Probably gonna happen.

Well for one thing the PS2 can't do HDMI (although it can do Component) so that might be an issue for people with newer TVs.

• Like 1

Sony hasn't announced any details yet, so I'm still holding a glimmer of hope that this will include disc compatibility.

Unless it's actual disc emulation (which I highly doubt) then I don't care. Sounds like they're just going to sell virtual PS2 games like they did on the PS3. Looks like my PS2 isn't going into storage quite yet.

While no replacement for a PS2, this is at least much more interesting than what the PS3 saw thanks to the significant visual enhancements.

I read somewhere that it may require Playstation Now even though it won't be from the cloud or that it will cost extra money in some form.

If it is digital only, I hope it transfers from what I bought on the PS3.

Who knows really. Like others have said, wake me up when you can just pop a disc in and play. Until then, I still have my PS2 and a working fat ps3.

Edit

How many subscribers are there for PS Now? I would have expected the really cheap way out and have these titles via that service, but maybe PS Now hasn't caught on as much as Sony would have liked so maybe they are cutting their loses and going digital for at least PS1 and PS2 titles.

Edited by cybercylon

Actually have no interest in getting a PS4. Not sold on the library, PS2 games are far more better and a huge quality library, don't like constant system updates, and the DLC of PS2 games through the PS Now will cost much more than the actual disk. I'm keeping my PS1, PS2, and PS3 systems.

• Like 2

If it plays PS2 games, I will sell my PS2s and use the money toward a PS4. The games are great, but I'm not really in love with the console itself. I have a slim and fat, would be fine having a more modern machine for the classics.

Eurogamer had an article today about the significant boost in frame rates that they experienced with these compared to original hardware.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ps2-emulation-on-ps4-performance-analysis

If the stars align here and retail releases are supported and the library isn't locked to specific titles, this could be something very special and unprecedented.

The same way Activision Anthology for the PS2 knows when you've met the criteria to unlock a particular patch while leaving all original code untouched.

They investigate how the game works to isolate criteria that can be used to make that determination with, and then actively monitor the game as it's being played to look for the occurrence of those selected triggers. For instance on many of those 2600 titles, they locate the scoring register and monitor that looking for a threshold score to be reached that corresponds with the criteria to earn a patch.

For a PS2 title, perhaps it's a particular cut scene like the end credits being activated that they use as a trigger for a trophy for something like finishing the game.

Edited by Atariboy

So how exactly are they going to add trophy support to games that were never designed for it?

The same way Activision Anthology for the PS2 knows when you've met the criteria to unlock a particular patch while leaving all original code untouched.

They investigate how the game works to isolate criteria that can be used to make that determination with, and then actively monitor the game as it's being played to look for the occurrence of those selected triggers. For instance on many of those 2600 titles, they locate the scoring register and monitor that looking for a threshold score to be reached that corresponds with the criteria to earn a patch.

For a PS2 title, perhaps it's a particular cut scene like the end credits being activated that they use as a trigger for a trophy for something like finishing the game.

As Atariboy mentioned, may have something in the code they look at as a trigger. Its probably fairly simple. In the SNES game, Super Star Wars they counted how many Jawa's I killed and gave me a trophy for killing 30 in one level. The emulation is pretty damn good with some upscaling and higher resolutions apparently. I think its pretty cool. I prefer just loading my own original discs without the extra stuff but if they dont give you the option to load the original disc I'll still be buying a few "enhanced" verisons since I'm a sucker for them (depending on the title). I've rebought Super Metroid and some other Nintendo games repeatedly cause that's just me.

• Like 1