IGNORED

Blinking Light Win does it work?

hwj_chim

My NES is having the blinking issue. I have read this is an issue with the 10 chip. I found the blinking light win and was wondering if anyone has any first hand issue on it. I have looked into cutting the 10 chip but have read that this can sometimes not fix the issue.

Games and console are clean. I did find that video and it looks good but was looking more for customer thoughts on it. I think I am going to pick one up. My clone has shit the bed and I would like to get my nes running again. If it works as advertised this should be great

Mine was no good either. The connector was bad and the ebay one I replace it with was crap also. So I made my own adapter. I bought 2 game genies. The pcb is thicker and makes firmer contact with the bent out of shape pins. I just removed the triangles from the game genies and taped them together. The tape makes it firmer and harder to remove so it is stuck in there for good. With two taped together twice as many codes. And two together it sticks out a littlebit so no jamming it in there. And just hit enter and no codes and its as if no genie was ever in there.

I've had no problems from cutting the pin on the lockout chip, but have heard it may need to be tied to (ground? or +5?, not sure), sometimes. However, a dirty connector or game can still cause problems.

Connecting the cut pin to ground is simply good practice. It prevents damage from arc damage, should a surge occur. I haven't pulled out the soldering iron for systems where I've disabled the lockout chip.

I wish I could tell you how well it worked, but the Blinking Light Win kit I ordered and paid for more than two months ago was never shipped out, even though the site said it would ship within 10 days when I ordered it. The company never responded to any of my emails and I ended up having to file a PayPal claim against them to get my money back. It's a darn shame too, since their hardware seemed really promising but their customer service skills were non-existent.

Games and console are clean. I did find that video and it looks good but was looking more for customer thoughts on it. I think I am going to pick one up. My clone has shit the bed and I would like to get my nes running again. If it works as advertised this should be great

How clean? Did you crack the carts and rub them with an eraser or de oxit/etc?

Or did you run an alcohol swab across the pins and call it a day?

There's "clean" and then there is CLEAN.

How clean? Did you crack the carts and rub them with an eraser or de oxit/etc?

Or did you run an alcohol swab across the pins and call it a day?

There's "clean" and then there is CLEAN.

Yes ;). I use a white Eraser on all of my games. The pins in the system looked new so I really just wiped out what little dust was in the system.

L8mVEKe.jpg

• Like 1

I recently acquired an NES with three carts and then bought an EverDrive. Wouldn't start. Blinking light.

- I cut the aforementioned pin. EverDrive suddenly started working but the other carts didn't.

- At another AAer's recommendation, I bought a can of Bar Keeper's Friend and scrubbed the hell out of the contacts on the 72-pin connector...still wouldn't start with non-EverDrive carts.

- Took some Bar Keeper's Friend and scrubbed the hell out of the contacts on the carts themselves (and invested $2 in the "security bit" that opens up the cart cases)....*boom!* Worked.

So, yes, it's a laborious PITA, but...I'm just sticking with the EverDrive and put those three carts on eBay. :)

I just meant it's slightly more sensitive to real dirty games.

Not sure where you heard this. Disabling the lockout chip won't in any way make dirty carts less likely to play. The reason people disable the chip in the first place is because even a slightly dirty cart can activate the lockout chip, causing the flashing screen. By disabling the chip, those same carts can play without any issue. You actually have a higher chance of booting up a cart with poor connections, causing glitches and other fun stuff.

This is all from personal experience.. what I've been through with my NES, so what I said isn't going to apply to everybody. Basically what I'm saying at this point is try to keep cart edge contacts clean no matter what.. original connector, BLW, etc, its doesn't matter. NES consoles are fickle about dirty carts.

Once you subtract the four pins that could cause the blinking light and eleven pins that were never used for anything, you still have fifty-seven pins which could have an issue.

Game Genies wear out cartridge slots due to their thick PCBs and can cause trouble with the games that typically fail on clone consoles.