IGNORED

Star Castle Code Released!

three2em

For those (like me) who weren't quick enough to pick up a copy of Star Castle, D Scott Williamson has released a zip of the files that came included on the CD in the box, including ROMs, source code, et cetera. I'll be down in my basement the next couple of weeks going over this stuff.

Link: http://starcastle2600.blogspot.com/p/star-castle-2600-story.html(scroll down to The Result)

Just to clarify to people this is not related to the Star Castle Arcade recently released in the AtariAge store. both games were worked on independently, and sadly The Kickstarter ended in May 2012 and I only started collecting Atari around the same time. Star Castle 2600 was developed by an old hat Atari programmer, using 8k bankswitching and no illegal ops, just like they would have used back in the day. He did however manage to produce a run of cool transparent carts with flashing LEDs. Totally epic but there's no way to emulate the LEDs on a Harmony cart or in Stella.

Star Castle Arcade is available now in the AtariAge store although I think the boxes may be gone soon if not already. I followed the development of both. Arcade obviously has a lot more polish but uses a 32kb Melody cart for DPC+ and high score saving.

Star Castle Arcade is available now in the AtariAge store although I think the boxes may be gone soon if not already.

AFAIK Albert has made quite a lot of boxes for SCA, so they should not be gone too soon.

Arcade obviously has a lot more polish but uses a 32kb Melody cart for DPC+ and high score saving.

No DPC+, just pure 6507 assembly. :)

Due to that, the cart used is a stripped down version of the Melody cart.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Star Castle Arcade is available now in the AtariAge store although I think the boxes may be gone soon if not already. I followed the development of both. Arcade obviously has a lot more polish but uses a 32kb Melody cart for DPC+ and high score saving.

As Thomas mentioned, Star Castle Arcade is NOT a DPC+ game, and does not use any additional hardware to do things the original 2600 wasn't capable of. The board does allow games to write to the cart, though, so Star Castle Arcade uses that capability in order to save high scores.

..Al

As Thomas mentioned, Star Castle Arcade is NOT a DPC+ game, and does not use any additional hardware to do things the original 2600 wasn't capable of. The board does allow games to write to the cart, though, so Star Castle Arcade uses that capability in order to save high scores.

..Al

Sorry I just assumed it needed the ARM to save on cart.