IGNORED

Buying an Atari 65XE (NTSC) for HDTV

avanze

I just bought a Sanyo HDTV 1080p and I am thinking of acquiring an Atari 65XE ntsc version. I would be using the monitor cable RCA connectors; the big question is, will this give me full color? Also, it will be plugged into a AV2HDMI converter which produces a digital signal for the HDMI.

Thoughts, and help on this matter.

I just bought a Sanyo HDTV 1080p and I am thinking of acquiring an Atari 65XE ntsc version. I would be using the monitor cable RCA connectors; the big question is, will this give me full color? Also, it will be plugged into a AV2HDMI converter which produces a digital signal for the HDMI.

Thoughts, and help on this matter.

If the 65XE has a monitor cable, check this out.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236810-inexpensive-s-video-or-composite-to-hdmi-video-up-converter/

Although obviously not the same machine, my PAL 800XL displays via the monitor socket to a composite video-out pretty well on my old Bravia. At least as good as the horrible monitor output ever gets. If I take RGB SCART from the VBXE the picture is amazingly good.

In regards the various line-doublers/upscalers, it seems to be a very mixed bag right across the board. Some people report good results with £20 units while others get lagginess and ghosting while using a £200+ machine.

Generally speaking, every time someone posts about connecting the video from there A8 to a modern television I advise them to fit a VBXE. However, without a SCART socket on your TV you are again caught in a bit of cleft stick and either need to go via VGA to an antique multiscan monitor or are forced once again to use an upscaler.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 130XE hooked up through the Framemeister with S-Video cable and I am getting vertical lines across the entire screen. Is this normal? When I turn on scan lines on the Framemeister, then I get a cross-hatch pattern. Is there an S-Video mod for the 130XE that I am not aware of or could it just be an issue with the cable I bought? I do not get any vertical lines hooking up to the Framemeister through RF via a VCR.

I will say that the clarity of the image is like night and day with S-Video over normal RF. Very nice. Just wish those vertical lines would go away. :)

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, it does seem to depend on the tv. Depends on the TV's up-scaling along with whether your tv has a full scan, over-scanned or under-scanned. Bad up-scaling can result in a crummy looking picture and is one of the main causes I think of retro machines looking bad on HDTVs. My 32" Sanyo that I use for all my retro gaming works well for me because it has decent up-scaling (though I've seen better) and seven different screen sizes moving from standard full screen to under-scanned to overs-scanned so I can always find a good fit for what ever I'm using at the time (My brother's Bravia has a lot less options making it less suitable for retro gaming without additional hardware) I'd recommend giving composite video a try before going with separate video (composite video cables are cheap and you can even make your own, though I like Best Electronics's shielded cables. Where 8-bit machines are concerned, the choice is purely a mater of taste. Though I have tried S-video, I personally find that I prefer composite video for both my Atari 800 and my Commodore 128, it just looks better to me when running games. I also prefer it for my Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES and SMS systems as well. I do use and prefer S-Video for all my 16-bit systems though. My recommendation is always, play around before shelling out for adapters. You might like what you see and if you don't, you can always get an adapter afterwards.