IGNORED

Help with Flicker Issue

nollstead

I'm having an issue getting my 2600 to work on my Samsung 55" TV. It works fine on my Samsung 42" though. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the RCA cable going into an F-adapter into the cable input. It displays but there is a really annoying flickering of the picture and sound popping - about twice per second. I've also tried adding in an RF interference filter but that didn't seem to make a difference. I've tried every setting on the TV that I could find but nothing fixed it. Again I plugged it into the 42" and there are no issues so I ruled out this being a hardware issue. Any ideas as to what I can try next, perhaps converting to another type of input?

I'm having an issue getting my 2600 to work on my Samsung 55" TV. It works fine on my Samsung 42" though. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the RCA cable going into an F-adapter into the cable input. It displays but there is a really annoying flickering of the picture and sound popping - about twice per second. I've also tried adding in an RF interference filter but that didn't seem to make a difference. I've tried every setting on the TV that I could find but nothing fixed it. Again I plugged it into the 42" and there are no issues so I ruled out this being a hardware issue. Any ideas as to what I can try next, perhaps converting to another type of input?

You also have to keep in mind that at the time the Atari was conceptualized the biggest screen at the time was probably 25 to 30 inch but the system was primarily designed for TV's 19 inches and lower, it's much like trying to enlarge a photograph that was originally a 4x6 picture into poster size, the larger you make the photo, the more grainy it will appear because of a loss in resolution, same with the Atari, it may not be an issue with the system itself at all but rather the size of the screen making the flicker more obvious and prominent where on smaller screens it isn't that noticeable. It's just a thought. Another thing is some TV's come with 2 inputs for coaxial, one for digital signal input and one for an analog signal, my RCA 52 inch HDTV had these both and the Atari would work fine on the analog input but not on the digital input of the TV which resulted in what you are getting

thanks for the response. I agree, and didn't expect it to look great, but the flickering is confusing. I've since tried it on my 70" TV and it works fine on that one. So the 70" is good, the 42" is good but the 55" has the flickering - all three are Samsungs with only one coax input. Very strange. I can only assume that that particular TV has an analog tuner that differs from the other two and can't support that signal very well but curious if anyone has other thoughts.

thanks for the response. I agree, and didn't expect it to look great, but the flickering is confusing. I've since tried it on my 70" TV and it works fine on that one. So the 70" is good, the 42" is good but the 55" has the flickering - all three are Samsungs with only one coax input. Very strange. I can only assume that that particular TV has an analog tuner that differs from the other two and can't support that signal very well but curious if anyone has other thoughts.

Did you try running the automatic programming feature to see if maybe the TV would get a more solid lock on the Atari's output signal?

Do you have an old VCR available? If so, you might want to hook the Atari up to the VCR, then patch to the TV via the composite video and audio outputs of the VCR.

I got lucky and found a standalone analog tuner at a thrift store. Tuning (aka demodulating) through the analog tuner proved to have considerably less lag than tuning through the digital LCD TV's built-in tuner.

I don't often hook it up to the 60", but using the analog tuner and "game" mode on the TV, the lag is low enough that I can comfortably play Circus and even Kaboom on that TV.

Using the native TV tuner, there was no way I could play those games effectively.

[Edit] Here's the same model tuner that I have. Not sure what the original intent was, but they appear to have been designed specifically to stack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-GENERAL-ELECTRIC-TUNER-ADAPTOR-1CVA900-USED-w-WARRANTY-/200891336053?hash=item2ec60e8575:g:0A8AAOSwYHxWIaMq

Edited by BigO

I have a Sony TU1041 that I use for my Atari with my HDTV, and it works great. Highly recommended.

That said, most HDTVs come from the factory with a ton of picture "enhancing" garbage turned on (frame blending, noise reduction, that sort of thing). Go through the menus and turn all of it off. That alone will make a world of difference.