IGNORED

Help troubleshooting CD unit

rayik

I have a Jag CD that does not work.

When the CD / Jag are powered on, the drive never spins and there is the red screen of death.

I have a 2nd working CD. When that is put in the same Jag unit it powers up fine and works ok..

Figure it's the CD unit and not the combo. I'm not sure if it's the bios, power supply parts or something else.

Looking for suggestions as to what may be the problem. Thank you.

Paul Westphal, on 28 Nov 2015 - 8:57 PM, said:

I you are comfortable taking it apart, clean the bridge board ( and the jag cart port ) with rubbing alcohol and qtip.

Can attest this is the best place to start. Took mine apart when I got it and this brought it back to life. May take more than a q-tip though, mine was really nasty if I remember and I only saw that when it was apart.

Edited by 032-Bias

Thanks for the credit card trick for the cart slot. Took the cart card out and cleaned both ends and the cart slot on cd board with rubbing alcohol. That was not the problem. Still had red screen of death (rsod)

Turns out the psu jack on the cd board was dirty. Cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. No more rsod.

However the screen shows the graphic that the power cord is not plugged into the cd unit. It is plugged into a good psu. Volt meter shows 10.9 volts at the power jack connection to the cd board.

Any suggestions as to where to check voltages on the board? This was an ebay purchase. If the wrong polarity psu had been plugged in what would it have damaged?

Thanks for more help.

Thanks for the credit card trick for the cart slot. Took the cart card out and cleaned both ends and the cart slot on cd board with rubbing alcohol. That was not the problem. Still had red screen of death (rsod)

Turns out the psu jack on the cd board was dirty. Cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. No more rsod.

However the screen shows the graphic that the power cord is not plugged into the cd unit. It is plugged into a good psu. Volt meter shows 10.9 volts at the power jack connection to the cd board.

Any suggestions as to where to check voltages on the board? This was an ebay purchase. If the wrong polarity psu had been plugged in what would it have damaged?

Thanks for more help.

Dumb question - do you have a power plug inserted into both the Jag and the JagCD?

A wrong polarity power supply will fry the unit, I can't imagine doing that and still having it work well enough to get the logo up and red screen of death.

I was mixed up in what I posted. Cleaning the contacts got rid of the rsod.

Separate problem is now it shows graphic for unplugged psu. Cleaned cd power plug which was dirty. No change.

However I do hear the cd unit moving when jag is turned on. Same type of sound my good unit makes when turned on.

Not sure what to check or look at on the cd board

Edited by rayik

Are you sure the power supply is compatible with the Jaguar? Is it a jaguar CD power supply?

The Jag and Jag CD use the exact same power supply.

The Jag CD schematics are available on Console 5, you should be able to check the voltage off the regulator to see if everything looks good. http://console5.com/wiki/Atari_Jaguar_CD#Schematics

Edit: Stupid question to the OP, but have you tried swapping the supplies between the two? That's what I did to eliminate possibility of a PSU issue when I was having the same problem. Does it boot with a cart in the Jag CD?

• Like 2