IGNORED

Starting the Odyssey 2 collection

doctorclu

Here in Dallas, (TX, USA) there is a local gaming store called "Game Over" where I was able to pick up the voice module and a bag full of games for half off. So while I have had a Odyssey 2 for years I can finally get started on a collection. That, and I am seeing Odyssey 2 carts around Dallas every now and then.

So my Odyssey 2 needs some love. I am using a 5200 power supply which seems to work well with it.

Joysticks are flakey at best. Got them to work for a game of Turtles, but since the left direction has stopped working.

The keyboard the reset button seem to work. The rest don't work or crash the system.

So experienced Odyssey 2 gamers, what are best way to recondition the Odyssey 2 keyboard and joysticks?

I only clicked to see why you were starting an O2 collection now. :lol:

Turtles though, is excellent. Very little else on this system to keep me interested in for more than a few minutes and we now have KC Munchkin for the 7800. Too bad you don't see Turtles on any of our other favorite systems. Really, really wish this long lost classic would get ported over to something more people are apt to use, such as the 2600 or 7800. :love:

As mentioned above, try taking it apart and cleaning the contacts (with proper contact cleaner, but rubbing alcohol should do in a pinch) when something doesn't work! :)

• Like 1

Ok, good to know it is possible to dismantle the membrane keyboard. I'll check that out.

And Turtles was surprisingly good. Found it at a flea market and glad I did. The fact that the voice module added music was nice too.

Ok, good to know it is possible to dismantle the membrane keyboard. I'll check that out.

And Turtles was surprisingly good. Found it at a flea market and glad I did. The fact that the voice module added music was nice too.

I assume it is possible; however, it probably requires you to use a razor to peel the overlay and I would imagine that it would be incredibly hard to paste it. Did you try removing any screws from the bottom and taking the keyboard out that way? I have an Odyssey 2; however, I never dismantled it.

Edit: To Fix spelling/post layout errors, Don't judge me.

Edited by SonicSageGamer
  • Like 1

Update: Got the controllers working a bit better after cleaning the contacts at the connector. Did not do as much for the keyboard. Tried cleaning the connector, and even peeled the keyboard back a bit to clean the contacts. No love. Some keys work long enough, like reset and 2. Some keys act like they are misaligned. + started up Sid the Spellbinder.

When I took the grey half off the black part of the casing I did notice this brown liquid underneath the keyboard that smelled rancid like some soft drink had gotten under the keyboard or something. Cleaned that off as best I could.

So to date I have:

1) played a successful game of Turtles with the voice module. (Doesn't require keyboard to start)

2) Played a successful game of Attack of the Timelord with voice module. (hit 2 to start)

3) Sid the Spellbinder started by hitting + and then my shot went right through the centipede. :D

Well, I will ask the other forum for technical help too, but looks like this needs another keyboard or the component that handles the keyboard has blown.

For fun, the games I have up to this point are:

Alien Invaders-Plus!

Alpine Skiing!

Attack of the Timelord!

Baseball!

Cosmic Conflict!

Electronic Table Soccer!

Freedom Fighters!

Invaders from Hyperspace!

KC's Krazy Chase!

KC Munchkin!

Pachinko!

Pick Axe Pete!

Monkeyshines!

Out of this World!/Helicopter Rescue!

Quest for the Rings

Sid the Spellbinder!

Smithereens!

Showdown in 2100 A.D. (wow, no exclamation point...)

Take the Money and Run!

Thunderball!

Turtles (another non-exclamation point rarity)

Type & Tell!
UFO!

War of Nerves!

Fun enough system just for Turtles alone. :D

• Like 3

I just bought an Odyssey 2 this pastbSeptember on Craigslist. The system and 14 games for $40. Took it and cleaned up the console and cart slot. Everything worked great except for the controllers as it was the hard wired ones into the console. I took them apart and tried cleaning it, but didn't work so I got two new ones and it works like a charm and happy to own one. K.C., K.C.'s Krazy Chase, Alien Invaders, and UFO, are some of my favorites. Happy to own one of these in my collection.

• Like 1

Grats on your Odyssey^2! I love the system - it was the first video game system our family got, even before the Atari.

Game Over has a 2 week (or longer for holiday season) defective return policy, so I'd recommend returning the system and getting another. They are common and the store should be able to exchange it. If the keyboard is broken that badly, it would be wiser to just replace it than try to fix it.

The guys that know much about o2 hardware are over at www.videopac.nl/forum so maybe you could ask them.

Sadly no response from these guys. Sent two registration requests in two days. Oh well, looked like a promising place. Guess I'll just have to look elsewhere for help on my O2.

I just bought an Odyssey 2 this pastbSeptember on Craigslist. The system and 14 games for $40. Took it and cleaned up the console and cart slot. Everything worked great except for the controllers as it was the hard wired ones into the console. I took them apart and tried cleaning it, but didn't work so I got two new ones and it works like a charm and happy to own one. K.C., K.C.'s Krazy Chase, Alien Invaders, and UFO, are some of my favorites. Happy to own one of these in my collection.

They are a good console with some good gameplay. Was playing Attack of the Timelord yesterday. Good stuff. Will need to try UFO and some of the other titles.

Grats on your Odyssey^2! I love the system - it was the first video game system our family got, even before the Atari.

Game Over has a 2 week (or longer for holiday season) defective return policy, so I'd recommend returning the system and getting another. They are common and the store should be able to exchange it. If the keyboard is broken that badly, it would be wiser to just replace it than try to fix it.

Another Game Over shopper. Cool store eh? Yeh sadly I did not get my console itself from Game Over. What would be nice is if they had a broken one they would like to sell. My keyboard is shot. Would be nice if I could source another keyboard or find out more about the component that drives the keyboard. Sadly www.videopac.nl/forum is not responding to membership requests I send, so I'll have to find other sources for that information.

You have some of my favorites already.

Attack of the Timelord!

Freedom Fighters!

Invaders from Hyperspace!

KC Munchkin!

Pick Axe Pete!

Quest for the Rings

Turtles (another non-exclamation point rarity)

UFO!

Fun enough system just for Turtles alone. :D

Pick Axe Pete! deserves a remake. I still like that one, and there's nothing else quite like it.

• Like 1

Sadly no response from these guys. Sent two registration requests in two days. Oh well, looked like a promising place. Guess I'll just have to look elsewhere for help on my O2.

They are a good console with some good gameplay. Was playing Attack of the Timelord yesterday. Good stuff. Will need to try UFO and some of the other titles.

Another Game Over shopper. Cool store eh? Yeh sadly I did not get my console itself from Game Over. What would be nice is if they had a broken one they would like to sell. My keyboard is shot. Would be nice if I could source another keyboard or find out more about the component that drives the keyboard. Sadly www.videopac.nl/forum is not responding to membership requests I send, so I'll have to find other sources for that information.

Did you get on the VP forum. I am on there and I will message the moderator for you if not. Let me know.

You have some of my favorites already.

Pick Axe Pete! deserves a remake. I still like that one, and there's nothing else quite like it.

Agreed... forgot about that one! Maybe a remake/update like KC Munchkin for the 7800.

UFO is another great O2 game I wouldn't mind seeing redone. Was being worked on for the Jaguar, but IIRC, wasn't finished and seems to have disappeared. Might have been a Gorf game now that I think about it.

If you had the keyboard separated that was the hard part. I would try cleaning it while its separated with a very liberal amount of electronics cleaner, You can buy it at most Auto stores or even Wal Mart. That's spilled Soda Pop can really mess with stuff. What's the output on the 5200 power supply?

Forrest

Wow 19 views and no one knows how to recondition the keyboard or things to check?

I just saw your thread.

Well just disassemble the upper part of the case completely. Be careful when pulling out the keyboard connector. Take out the "keyboard". Check if there really is dirt inside. Maybe just the connector is dirty. Carefully unfold the plastic membrane, if not glued together too firmly and clean it with alcohol and cotton swabs. Maybe you can get a spare keyboard of a dead console, if you can't use yours anymore. Ask on AA.

Be even more careful when reconnecting the keyboard. Do not use force!

Look at the pictures of my G7400:

post-32856-0-18960400-1450220978_thumb.jpg

post-32856-0-16643300-1450220958_thumb.jpgpost-32856-0-28847600-1450220967_thumb.jpg

post-32856-0-61052600-1450220974_thumb.jpg

Same procedure with the joysticks. Those usually are quite robust.

Rolo

:)

• Like 1