IGNORED

Kaz Kompo 2014 - vote for the best game from 2014

+Adam+

Same as Philsan. Rules are perfect, simply vote for the best game of all games released in 2014. Some peoples voted for some 10liners in their top-10. So they CAN compete with other games.

Here are my Top 10:

1 IK EE 2014

2 Dimo's Quest

3 RGB

4 Treasure Island Dizzy

5 The Great Return of the Pinguins

6 Ransack

7 SPEEDmaza

8 Nemezyro

9 Perplexity

10 Pad

• Like 1

Are there any instructions for Dzien Szurpatego?

I asked TDC, the author, to write a few words in this thread about that game, maybe he will appear here. It was created during Global Game Jam 2014 and the theme of that jam was "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are". On AtariOnline TDC wrote that in "Dzień szurpatego" we can jump between different realities (by using two items), we interact with the world and with some beings and we try to answer a question, which of those realities is the true one.

I asked TDC, the author, to write a few words in this thread about that game, maybe he will appear here. It was created during Global Game Jam 2014 and the theme of that jam was "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are". On AtariOnline TDC wrote that in "Dzień szurpatego" we can jump between different realities (by using two items), we interact with the world and with some beings and we try to answer a question, which of those realities is the true one.

Well I'm glad I asked :-o :D

• Like 1

3 I think you've have missed:

Tetris (Pete Meyer)

Deluxe Invaders - modified for single firing and sounds mods :thumbsup:

Alien Swarm - modified

Thanks a lot for those links. However, every hack needs individual decision: are the modifications significant enough to include a new version in competition. For example in 2014 Gonzo changed colours and some details in graphics in "Fire Power", but the gameplay remained exactly the same, so we didn't put that new version on the official Kaz Kompo list:

FirePower_(mod2014).png

"Deluxe Invaders" - there are just sound effects changed. I think we shouldn't add it to the list.

"Tetris" - different graphics, sounds added, different speed. It's a better candidate for Kaz Kompo than "Deluxe Invaders".

"Alien Swarm" - I tried to play it a little, but I couldn't see any important differences yet. You played it a lot, so - in your opinion - are the modifications sufficient or are they just cosmetic changes? :)

Thanks a lot for those links. However, every hack needs individual decision: are the modifications significant enough to include a new version in competition. For example in 2014 Gonzo changed colours and some details in graphics in "Fire Power", but the gameplay remained exactly the same, so we didn't put that new version on the official Kaz Kompo list:

FirePower_(mod2014).png

"Deluxe Invaders" - there are just sound effects changed. I think we shouldn't add it to the list.

"Tetris" - different graphics, sounds added, different speed. It's a better candidate for Kaz Kompo than "Deluxe Invaders".

"Alien Swarm" - I tried to play it a little, but I couldn't see any important differences yet. You played it a lot, so - in your opinion - are the modifications sufficient or are they just cosmetic changes? :)

I guess none of these will make peoples top 10s so why not add them all including Fire Power! The Deluxe invaders now has Single Firing which makes it significantly different (better) from all the other invaders where you just hold in fire - check it out guys :)

Shortened version of Kaz Kompo rules:

1. The contest is open to all games released in year 2014 for the Atari 8-bit computers. No matter whether they are commercial or freeware games, awarded in other contests or not, whether they require expansion or not, etc. Important is that they became publicly available between January 1st and December 31st 2014. If something is missing on the list - let know to Xeen.
  2. You can vote by adding your comment in this thread or on AtariOnline.pl or by sending an email to Xeen (mcora @ tlen . pl). All the votes (nickname + given points) will be published with the announcement of the voting results.
  3. The authors and co-authors of the games participating in the contest may vote for their own works.
  4. Vote for up to 10 games, specifying their order. The points will be given as follows: 1st place - 10 points, 2nd place - 9 points, ... , 10th place - 1 point. It is allowed to vote for less than 10 games, by not specifying some of the places.
  5. The voting ends on midnight of December 20th/21st, 2015.
  6. Several prizes will be drawn among the voters.
  7. There are no material prizes for the winning games creators, the only prize is the achievement of being on the podium and the right to use golden, silver or bronze Kaz Kompo winner logo.

Hurry up!

Yeah, hurry up!

And here is the updated games package - with several additional entries that were omitted:

Alien Swarm - hack by Peter Dell & Paul Lay. Original game by Bruce Thompson (1982)

AlienSwarm_(mod2014).png

Changes:

- fixed roll-over bug for energy when you score 10.000 points
- higher speed in the level end sequence and bonus counting
- faster sprite drawing
- FIRE button to start in addition the the START button
- Adapted title screen (flashing, positioning)
- XEX format and a load address of $4000, so it can be loaded from any regular Atari DOS
- a 4 digit energy counter and display
- a fix zero page corruption bug that was present in the original game when placing red saucers on the very bottom of the screen
- support for ESC key to quit the game in addition to the INVERSE key

Bounce Ball M4 – multijoy version prepared by Frantisek Fandal Houra to FLOP 57 magazine. Original game by Jerzy Kasenberg (1989).

bbm42.png

Drutt M4+ – multijoy version prepared by Frantisek Fandal Houra to FLOP 57 magazine. Original game by Jacek "Tabu" Grad, Wojtek "Slash" Górski (1992)

druttm42.png

"Tetris" hack by Peter J. Meyer (sounds, graphics etc.). Original game by David Mason.

Tetris_(mod2014).png

It makes 113 games in total.

Also, missing "Serduszka" (Little Hearts) game added to the package, version of "Duchoskoczek" (Ghostjumper) was corrected and NTSC version of "The Great Return of the Penguins" was added.

You can download the updated package from here.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why the enhanced version of Ms. Pac-Man I'm working on was included here, as it's incomplete. Isn't the competition supposed to be for completed works, rather than beta or WIP's?

OK, sorry for that, we will remove Ms. Pac-Man Enhanced from the list. Thanks for your comment.

You may find the new version with 112 games here.

OK, the final results of Kaz Kompo 2014 have been announced on AtariOnline.pl

This is the first ten - congratulations!:

• 1. RGB - 455 points
    Marek "MaPa" Pavlik (code, game idea), Zdenek "PG" Eisenhammer (graphics, level design, music), Adam "Ooz" Powroźnik (additional graphics, fonts). Testing: Fandal, MatoSimi, TheRealBountyBob

g2014.png

RGB1.png

RGB3.png

• 2. Treasure Island Dizzy - 320 points
    code: Paweł "Paw" Gugała, music: Michał "Miker" Szpilowski (original game: Philip Oliver, Andrew Oliver, Andrew Graham, Stewart Graham, Robbie Graham)

TreasureIslandDizzy1.png

• 3. The Great Return of the Penguins - 280 points
    Arkadiusz "Larek" Lubaszka (code, graphics), Michał "stRing" Radecki (music), sOnar (title screen graphics). Testing: Cpt. Misumaru Tenchi.

TheGreatReturnOfThePenguins_0.png

TheGreatReturnOfThePenguins_1.png

• 4. Dimo's Quest (Dimo's Quest in ABBUC Land) - 273 points
    Thomas "8Bitjunkie" Schulz (code, design), Tobias Prinz (graphics), Hilton Theissen (music)

DimosQuest4_forAtariAge.png

• 5. Perplexity - 222 points
    Frantisek "Fandal" Houra (code), Irgendwer (graphics), original game: Ian Collinson

perplexity3.png

• 6. Ransack! - 151 points
    Lyren Xuel Brown (code), José Pereira (graphics), original game: Peter Scott

Ransack2.png

• 7. SPEEDmaza - 143 points
    Jakub Husak (idea, code, graphics, music)

speedm2.png

• 8. International Karate Enhanced Edition 2014 - 134 points
    modifications & bug fixes by Paweł "Pavros" Rosowski

InternationalKarateEnhancedEdition2014.p

• 9. Dungeon Hunt - 115 points
    Jim "Jacobus" Wilkinson (idea, code, graphics)

DungeonHunt_1.png

• 10. Nemezyro - 112 points
    Martin "MatoSimi" Simeček (idea, code, graphics), Marek "Poison" Pesout (music)

Nemezyro2.png

You can download a package with those 10 best games from here.
And here you can find an Excel file with detailed results (52 people voted).

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 3

The following places:

• 11. Thetris : 109 points
  • 12. Exoter : 83 points
  • 13. Lunar Jetman : 80 points
  • 14. Pixeroids : 58 points
  • 15. Pad : 52 points
  • 16. Flappy : 50 points
  • 17. Xirius Defect XXL : 36 points
  • 18. Roguelike : 29 points
  • 19. Radioactive Shit Happens! : 20 points
  • 20. Stampede : 17 points
  • 21. The Adventure / Das Abenteuer : 14 points
  • 21. Lunar Blitz : 14 points
  • 22. Twenty Fourty Eight (2048) : 13 points
  • 23. Voyager! : 11 points
  • 23. Joyas : 11 points
  • 24. Cavern 10 : 9 points
  • 24. Bad Bat Bart : 9 points
  • 25. Polish Game Robbo : 8 points
  • 25. Subchase : 8 points
  • 25. Boulder Dash Mugen 15 (Cuevas Dr. Mugen 15) : 8 points
  • 25. Megaoids (1990 version): 8 points
  • 26. Letter Better : 6 points
  • 27. Nimx : 5 points
  • 27. Abyss : 5 points
  • 28. Ramp Rage : 4 points
  • 28. Pierścień Androidów : 4 points
  • 28. Jump! : 4 points
  • 28. Night Escape : 4 points
  • 28. Russian Roulette : 4 points
  • 29. Atlas TXL : 3 points
  • 29. Minidash : 3 points
  • 30. Colfusion! : 2 points
  • 30. Point Of View : 2 points
  • 30. Duchoskoczek : 2 points
  • 30. Donald : 2 points
  • 31. Dzień szurpatego : 1 point
  • 31. Planets : 1 point
  • 31. Joe Painter : 1 point
  • 31. Puzzler Duell : 1 point
  • 31. Caveblaster(+) : 1 point
  • the rest: 0 points

Congratulations Mapa and team :thumbsup: RGB is an outstanding game :thumbsup: There were some pretty good games last year. Perplexity and the Penguins deserve some serious play. Thanks to everyone who made the effort and created something. Thanks also to adam and the guys at ataionline.pl for supporting our favourite machine :thumbsup:

Thank you Kaz, for making another year of the Kompo!

Let me clarify: "Kaz Kompo" is a traditional name for the annual games competition on AtariOnline.pl, but Kaz himself doesn't organise it for several years (Xeen does it), Kaz's Atari activities are now limited.

Congratulations, PG, I also voted for "RGB" as the best game of 2014 :)

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 1

Let me clarify: "Kaz Kompo" is a traditional name for the annual games competition on AtariOnline.pl, but Kaz himself doesn't organise it for several years (Xeen does it), Kaz's Atari activities are now limited.

Congratulations, PG, I also voted for "RGB" as the best game of 2014 :)

Oops, thanks for clarification.

• 11 months later...